Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

One little quirk that initially had me confused earlier.

The EQ on the 735A follows a lot of 3 band EQs layout with volume dial, pup selector / blend dial, and then 3 band EQ in active mode and treble / tone roll-off only in passive mode.

CF8C5C02BD794EC5B0F34FC6C976AB86_12074_240x150_5e23c80413d0a222a4a6d045704ac57d.jpg

So 'muscle memory' kicks in and I'm expecting the same i.e, vol dial, pup blend dial, and tone dial on the P35.

But, as those of you that already have them will know, that's not the case with the new BB "3 series" passive basses: instead there is a separate volume control for each pup and you blend accordingly.

AABFF1B0F0334FCCA4663D1C7279772E_12074_240x150_b7354b040ecb8fafb221fc38d7ee3e16.jpg

Will just need to make sure I remember which is which and that they are not the same when I take them out gigging! :) 

Edited by Al Krow

23 hours ago, krispn said:

So which is your preference over the BB735 and the BBP35 after the initial play test. 

Will let you know when I've rehearsed and gigged the P35. Was hoping to take it out tonight, but we had to cancel due to our singer losing her voice entirely today after managing to somehow get through a gig last night when not feeling 100%. (Last night's gig went surprisingly well, given the circs, although I need to get the stage monitoring by the venue sorted next time as I could hardly hear myself and, with due respect to the rest of the band, enjoying the bass line is a big part of the fun for me - lol!). 

I suspect it will boil down to 735A having greater tonal options vs the P35 being the nicer / better quality purely passive bass.

It actually takes me a little while to get into a new bass: my reactions tend to be fairly muted until I've got to know them - but I am liking the P35 a lot already. 

The question I'm going to find equally interesting is whether there is a tangible step up between the older BB1025 (which I rate highly as you know) and Yammy's new flagship P35; I suspect it will be a nuanced improvement rather than anything 'startling' and that was a big reason in my hesitating buying Mark's P35 off him in the first place. But I'm very glad I did now - it was a real pleasure to meet up with him today and it's always a privilege, in my books, to spend time with a pro bass player such as Mark.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

One little quirk that initially had me confused earlier.

The EQ on the 735A follows a lot of 3 band EQs layout with volume dial, pup selector / blend dial, and then 3 band EQ in active mode and treble / tone roll-off only in passive mode.

CF8C5C02BD794EC5B0F34FC6C976AB86_12074_240x150_5e23c80413d0a222a4a6d045704ac57d.jpg

So 'muscle memory' kicks in and I'm expecting the same i.e, vol dial, pup blend dial, and tone dial on the P35.

But, as those of you that already have them will know, that's not the case with the new BB "3 series" passive basses: instead there is a separate volume control for each pup and you blend accordingly.

AABFF1B0F0334FCCA4663D1C7279772E_12074_240x150_b7354b040ecb8fafb221fc38d7ee3e16.jpg

Will just need to make sure I remember which is which and that they are not the same when I take them out gigging! :) 

Really simple to remember that layout - volume knobs are closest to the pickup they control, and the other is a tone 😊

Just now, therealting said:

Really simple to remember that layout - volume knobs are closest to the pickup they control, and the other is a tone 😊

Yup totally agree. But just need to 'unlearn' previous habits, right? :) 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yup totally agree. But just need to 'unlearn' previous habits, right? :) 

I generally find it quite easy to remember the different layouts I have - the trouble for me is that the Sadowsky preamps have a reversed blend knob which I actually prefer (counter-clockwise for neck, turn up for bridge). Acts a bit like a tone knob effectively. 

Edited by therealting

4 minutes ago, therealting said:

.. the Sadowsky preamps have a reversed blend knob 

Bloody hell, that would have me completely up s*hit creek 😂

You're clearly less senile than me.

...actually no wait, reading your post again - isn't that pretty standard on most basses now I come to think of it?!

Edited by Al Krow

50 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Bloody hell, that would have me completely up s*hit creek 😂

You're clearly less senile than me.

...actually no wait, reading your post again - isn't that pretty standard on most basses now I come to think of it?!

I was an idiot and don’t know which way clocks go 🤦‍♂️ 

5 hours ago, therealting said:

I was an idiot and don’t know which way clocks go 🤦‍♂️ 

Haha - now you have me completely confused! But given I don't have a Sadowsky pre on any of my basses, I suspect the confusion will pass... 😄 

6 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Looking at the Michael Anthony model online.

didnt realise there was a 2024x Michael Anthony?!

ACBAE4DC-9E3F-41FC-A776-E595EE49DC3F.jpeg

I’ve never seen that either! I’d wanted to try the BB3000MA just to see what the reverse P config is like on a 3000. Strange they dropped that feature for this model.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Love these two

BAE79F48-6DD8-4299-BF67-6C012BA21CEB.jpeg

Having just joined the Yamaha club 🙂,   I’ve noticed the right one has the p pup, the opposite way to mine, and the left one has a totally different configuration, what models are these 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Having just joined the Yamaha club 🙂,   I’ve noticed the right one has the p pup, the opposite way to mine, and the left one has a totally different configuration, what models are these 🙂

I agree with Reggea to us Yammy newbies @gobasserk please could you go from left to right and let us know what they are... I’m particularly keen to know what the white and yellow ones are! 😎

Or any other Yammy officianardos  @AndyTravis 😃

Edited by bassfan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Left is BB714bs (Billy Sheehan) Lava red

Right is BB1000ma (Michael Anthony) In Gunmetal (I think - can’t remember the name of the finish)

NICE!

• Thanks 1