Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

8 hours ago, hypercarrots said:

yamaha custom shop in california made jack's custom BBs and they speak english 

Haha - well done to those Californians for their amazing language skills.

I wonder what else he had done for his "custom job" or if it was only a lick of paint?

Edited by Al Krow

1 minute ago, BassApprentice said:

Talking of Custom Shops - if you could go to Yamaha and get them to make you a BB, what specs would it have? 

Wonder how deep your pockets have to be?

I wouldn’t mind getting a 424x and finishing it in ice blue metallic with a white pearl pickguard.

when I’m more flush I’ll do it...

20 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

Talking of Custom Shops - if you could go to Yamaha and get them to make you a BB, what specs would it have? 

That's an easy one for me:

1) PJ version of the BB NE2 with a passive / active pull switch

2) neck-through version of the BB 735A in white!

:) 

PS good question btw! 

Edited by Al Krow

4 hours ago, therealting said:

BB734A in the classifieds at the moment (not mine).

Lovely bass but slightly odd FS. This is the same chap who had an earlier FS post in which he said the bass was just a week old (and he had bought it from Bass Direct) and a few BCers asked him why he didn't simply return it to the store for a full refund. He then marked his ad 'Sold':

Edited by Al Krow

59 minutes ago, Figue2B said:

Yes I am in Corsica , shipping cost for return it’s expensive with insurance so I decide to put in sell for a second time , like this I don’t lost a lot of money ;)

Hi Figue2B - thanks for coming back to clarify.

Out of interest, in your original thread you mention you prefer BB passive, but that is exactly how a number of BB 734/5A owners mainly play theirs and they really like the passive tone on the bass.

On the costs point: I still don't get why you lose less money selling second hand to a UK buyer (when there will also still be shipping and insurance) rather than returning it to the UK store for a full refund? The gents making the suggestion were definitely trying to be helpful when they mentioned that, although as saying goes: that ship may have sailed now!

But of course at the end of the day, it's your property to decide to do with as you please and I wish you all the best with the sale - it's a great bass!

Edited by Al Krow

On the first post I put Sold because on this site we can’t delete post, I see with Bass Direct it’s possible to me to send back the bass and after this I need to buy a second bass on bass direct.

I wait a little for see what England and France doing with the Brexit. Now the Brexit is not for now. If I send back the bass and the brexit come French Customers are going to put 23% more of new price in taxes so I will lost too much money. So it’s for this I wait and put sold on the first post ;)

If I sell the bass 600€ it’s the same if I return back so why not I will don’t make happy a bassist ;) 

I am open with trade maybe one guy will propose me a bass i search

Sorry for my English guys 😅

• Like 3

1 hour ago, therealting said:

Causes their eyes to burst, surely

Ok that's terrible 😂

On the plus side you've managed to flush out another (is that 3 or 4 on this thread now?) very happy owner of a BBP35...

3 hours ago, crabman said:

I've got the sunburst BBP35.  Gorgeous bass.  Quality workmanship and very versatile.

@crabman did you go 'straight' to a BBP35 or you had other Yammy BBs before and, if so, how do they compare? Is there a difference in sound?

I've not seen an used BBP35 come up for sale yet, which is testimony to how good they must be, and I suspect they're going to get snapped up when they do! 

My first guitar was a BB424X, which is a helluva lot of guitar for the money.  I then ended up with a few Fenders (American J, American P, and an AVRI J) and then this came up:  The Yamaha went along the way.

I then needed to pick up a five string for a few songs being added to our set such as No One Knows.  II was thinking about a 1025 or 2025 as my old teacher said that Fender Vs weren't as good as the four strings. And then this came up:

The neck is glorious and very flat and suits a low action.  Tonally it is massively versatile and the P bass tone when rolled off is lovely.  B string is good.  Really punchy bass and enormous sustain. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, crabman said:

My first guitar was a BB424X, which is a helluva lot of guitar for the money.  I then ended up with a few Fenders (American J, American P, and an AVRI J) and then this came up:  [??] ... The Yamaha went along the way.

Are we missing a bit of the story? :) 

I'd love to know if there is big difference tonally between e.g. the 1025 and the BBP35 or it's more down to the quality of finish. Trouble is playing anything in the Yammy store in London through that 50W combo they have there doesn't really give you a good idea of anything!