Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

1 hour ago, woolf said:

Appears to be in excellent condition - very tempting! 

> £1,000 plus shipping. Seems a fairly "full" price.

Fortunately it's got a string missing 😁

And I'm not sure it will sound any better than a BB 1024 which will set you back less than half that?  I was about to say there's even a 1024/X in the FS, but just checked and they've ALL gone! 

But maybe I'm just completely missing the point...

Edited by Al Krow

10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

> £1,000 plus shipping. Seems a fairly "full" price.

Fortunately it's got a string missing 😁

And I'm not sure it will sound any better than a BB 1024 which will set you back less than half that?  I was about to say there's even a 1024/X in the FS, but just checked and they've ALL gone! 

But maybe I'm just completely missing the point...

They’re a different thing, I’d have the 3000 and the 1024, I’d never own a 2024 and a 1024.

The 3000 is neck through for starters.

The 3000 is what a lot of BB “purists” aim for.

for a grand? Debating speaking to the guy and offering my 1024 and some cash.

Just now, Al Krow said:

Fair do's. And if they brought out a BB 735A in a neck-through they could take a grand off me too, no question. I'd add another £50 on top if they did one in white 😁

Jack from the Smashing Pumpkins has a white one 🤷🏻‍♂️

The new ones do nowt for me at all, thought I wanted a 434 for a while, but that notion soon passed. 

I started 22 years ago on an old one, think the 414-424/1024/2024 era suits me.

Then again, the attitude bug has a hold.

We’ll see...the 1024x might be sacrificial lamb for the 2nd attitude or bb714bs 

So the neck through just looks great. It's supposed to improve sustain and they're still doing in the NE2. 

But if you blind tested a BB 3000 and a BB 1024, I wonder if you could tell them apart, other than they were different rather than one being noticeably better than the other? 

I guess Jack is someone who can ask for a white finish and Yammy will say "sure" or whatever the Japanese for that is :)

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

So the neck through just looks great. It's supposed to improve sustain and they're still doing in the NE2. 

But if you blind tested a BB 3000 and a BB 1024, I wonder if you could tell them apart, other than they were different rather than one being noticeably better than the other? 

I guess Jack is someone who can ask for a white finish and Yammy will say "sure" or whatever the Japanese for that is :)

“Better” is subjective. How do you quantify “better” - I could certainly spot the difference blindfolded. The decay of the notes, the feel of the harmonic ring, loads of ways to spot the difference.

What’s “better” for you might be “absolutely useless” to me. Hence the fact I only use passive basses and you seem to favour active ones, for example.

I’d have the 3000 for a different job to the 1024 or 414 - my modded 414 does things differently to my 1024, so they both come along...and there are 3 tracks I always use the 414 for, and in some instances it does the other tunes when I can’t be bothered swapping between the two.

I was talking to a mate the other day about eq and fx, compression etc - I really don’t apply much thought to it. He labours over it. And he plays predominantly at home. Makes no sense to me. But it seemingly matters to him.

Does that make him “better” or “worse” than me? Nah - just different. 

Worries me when music or instruments are turned into objects of sport - “not for me” is my favourite phrase with gear.

• Like 2

I’ve no real skin in the game or idea about the whole Yamaha thing- origins, models wood types etc but the vintage neck thru does seem to be what the die hards lust after. 

As an owner of a 734A it’s a really well put together bass and cracking value (for what I paid). A friend of mine bought a Yamaha bass way back in the day when we were both learning. This must have been the mid 90’s and I could never get on with the look of it and I don’t recall the experience of playing it - It was just wrong in my eyes, a bit bloated and unseemly. As an aside I was big into No Doubt and loved the bass sound on those album (Sunday Morning is an all time fav) but even then I put that down to studio recording over the actual instrument (I was in my teens and knew everything)!

These new BB’s really do strike the balance between value, quality and form. I’m a proud owner and it may have taken me quite a while to get here but I’m enjoying it. I’m still not sure of the allure of the older ones but if the current range are anything to go by they’re clearly doing something right irrespective of the colours. I’d much rather have a BB734 (minus the active)  in black than spend the extra on a BBP34 but I think I got a good deal on a great bass.

To qualify I have a few basses and they all serve different purposes. As Andy alluded above I can tell all them apart and they all do something differently. My Frankenstein p does it’s thing with an awesome neck profile (for my hand) and invokes a previous ‘vintahe’ bass and all the good times associated with it. The 734 pulls me in another direction equally as satisfying. A recently acquired addition has a whole other vibe which I’m really enjoying the nuance of and hope to explore more over coming gigs  it’s super comfy, nails that vintage mid range, flat wound thing I’ve always enjoyed as a player and it’s cool as feck. 

• Like 2

Interesting discussion topic about what constitutes "better" that you've raised Andy. Can't disagree that it is ultimately subjective, although we collectively can much more easily spot when something is genuinely crap (and that's a long way from what Yammy BB's are!).

You said you thought I prefer active basses. Actually that's not entirely accurate. I do love my BB NE2, for sure, which is purely active. It is such a great sounding bass (you managed to get your hands on one yet, Andy?) But my post earlier today about playing my BB 1025 (which is purely passive) confirms that I think that's also a bloody brilliant bass. My 735A I will play both passively than actively. On the other hand my Ibbys I will play almost entirely actively. So I think the more accurate answer is I like both, it will depend on the bass and the preamp, and also whether in a particular setting I need to cut through a bit more on particular numbers, in which case having active EQ on tap can be just the ticket.

@krispn has just made some very good points, much more articulately than the response I'd started drafting!

Edited by Al Krow

I’ve played the original Nathan East model with the flamed top while setting one up (nice instrument) and then played a V2 at the Milton Keynes HQ and again at a trade show in Germany.

I was at the launch for the bb2024/25/x and wasn’t actually bowled over, set all of them up on the stand while discussing features and then the punters got to play them. 

Also was sorting a dicky pot on an at2 in Lava Red while BS wandered past. 

Was angling for a job with Yamaha at the time, they were clueless/couldn’t be a*sed - a real shame.

I’ve owned a TRB5Pii, which was remarkably similar bass in over all feel to the bbne2 

There’s something about smaller bodied neck through basses, it just doesn’t work for me.

obviously works for others - Spector seem to sell a lot. But I’ve owned warwicks and spectors which I’ve sold as they don’t work for me.

Ibanez never get a look in with me - I’ve sold 1000’s and I get why they’re popular. But I’ve owned 1, and I got that in a trade. 

Edited by AndyTravis

2 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I’ve owned a TRB5Pii, which was remarkably similar bass in over all feel to the bbne2 

Hidden in your post is actually something very helpful to me as someone who has come pretty close to getting a TRB5Pii on a couple of occasions. And then held back because what I'm really after is a P/J version of the NE2 or alternatively a neck through version of the the 735A. 

It's really useful to have confirmed that these two high end basses are pretty similar and says to me that I did the right thing in not going for both - so thanks for that!

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Hidden in your post is actually something very helpful to me as someone who has come pretty close to getting a TRB5Pii on a couple of occasions. And then held back because what I'm really after is a P/J version of the NE2 or alternatively a neck through version of the the 735A. 

It's really useful to have confirmed that these two high end basses are pretty similar and says to me that I did the right thing in not going for both - so thanks for that!

Wasn’t hidden 😂

It was heavy, and a bit lifeless. Too much going on to get much feedback into the hand.

The same with Alembics and a few others I’ve played. 

Not a connected experience. For me.

Preferred the NE-1 to the NE-2. I wanted one and the other was “oh, nice...”

78337CA4-6ED0-4A58-A704-C5104AE36908.jpeg

• Like 2

Having read this forum, there is someone on here that is uncredited for the amount of time someone who's professionally worked around Yamaha's day in, day out (guitars, basses, drums, keys and audio) selling them for a living and if not someone to be surrounded them at work, he's someone who's working with them in another sense: he's out practicing, performing and recording with them. Probably the BB collection has dwindled lately since I brought him over to the Attitude way of life but this is someone who still knows his beans when it comes to it, someone I still speak to, to gather information on my own gear or inbound purchases 😂

If anyone is to know a thing or two about Yamaha basses, @AndyTravis is the one to ask. 

IMG_20190412_005758.thumb.jpg.656870a6a7d75169eb34821231dc842c.jpg

Just some of his collection and at one period of time. I'm sure if there was a picture of the entire collection, there wouldn't be enough sofas to stick them on 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What's the reason for wanting a neck through, @Al Krow?

Sure, they look pretty sleek and feel nice in the hand, but then again I've heard many top players say they prefer the increased punch/attack you get from a bolt on neck.

Personally I'd go for that over increased sustain any day. Sustain is great when you're playing a guitar solo, but to me bass is quite a percussive instrument, and I doubt many drummers seek increased sustain from their kick drums!

5 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

@Al KrowRe active vs passive and cutting through more in some numbers hence requiring actives - is within the same set/gig with the same band and same type/number of instruments throughout the gig?

Why would you want to cut through less at any point?

No not all songs in a 2 hour set are identical in the way that they are played by either the band or me the bass player. 

There will be variation in guitar pedals and sound, whether rhythm guitar is brought in, whether the song is stripped back, Motown vs Rock etc etc. Sometimes it's just great on bass to just 'sit back in the mix'; other times you want / need to be more punchy in order to not be 'lost in the mix'.

Earlier in the thread a few pages back John, who is another covers/ function band bassist, mentioned using his 735A mostly in passive, but switching to active 3/4 J setting when required. I'm guessing for exactly the same reasons. 

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

What's the reason for wanting a neck through, @Al Krow?

Sure, they look pretty sleek and feel nice in the hand, but then again I've heard many top players say they prefer the increased punch/attack you get from a bolt on neck.

Personally I'd go for that over increased sustain any day. Sustain is great when you're playing a guitar solo, but to me bass is quite a percussive instrument, and I doubt many drummers seek increased sustain from their kick drums!

Yeah for sure, don't disagree. Hence my comments earlier about blind testing a BB 3000 and a BB 1024. 

But I think Andy set out the reasons why, other than the fact that some of us (me definitely included!) find that they look awesome, in his comments on "better" very well, a few posts ago. 

And I'm guessing there's a reason that the BB 1200/S and BB 3000 and 5000 basses (all neck through) are held in such high esteem? I suspect it's more than just nostalgia. 

Having been in a few cover bands myself, the BB734A/5A would be an incredible bass to use and utilise for me. A Precision and Jazz configuration does a lot more than you think and an active EQ just opens up so many sound options (I'd just be sure to have a spare battery ready for a 2 hour set.) 

I found the necks to be really smooth too with the lacquer finish and unlike gloss were your hand sticks to it.... you've got something that will need the occasional wipe to keep maintained but keeps the playability up.

A very sensible little bass and nothing I'd have  remotely bad to say or complain about. 

• Like 1

At one point I owned a BB1024 and a BB3000. Now I just own the 3000.

They both have a very similar tone  however the reason the 3000 has stuck around was the comparatively lighter weight (my 3000 is 4kg) and the depth of the neck was slimmer front to back.

Both awesome basses though and there’s really not much in it. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, woolf said:

At one point I owned a BB1024 and a BB3000. Now I just own the 3000.

They both have a very similar tone  however the reason the 3000 has stuck around was the comparatively lighter weight (my 3000 is 4kg) and the depth of the neck was slimmer front to back.

Both awesome basses though and there’s really not much in it. 

Ok that's really interesting in terms of those two basses having a similar tone. Very much what I was guessing a few posts back, but you've gone multiple steps better than guess-work, having owned both models!

Well, for me at least, that's a good reason to stick with my BB 1025, particularly as I had such a great experience with it in a band mix the other night, and not to be too tempted by the (one-string-missing and wrong colour 😁) BB 3000 currently up for sale. 

With you ruling out the BB 3000 (vs the BB 1024/5) and Andy the TRB5PII (vs the BB NE2) yesterday, it certainly looks like my complement of four Yammys (aka "a full fat Trav") is not likely to be seeing an extended waistline in the too near future...

9 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Yeah for sure, don't disagree. Hence my comments earlier about blind testing a BB 3000 and a BB 1024. 

But I think Andy set out the reasons why, other than the fact that some of us (me definitely included!) find that they look awesome, in his comments on "better" very well, a few posts ago. 

And I'm guessing there's a reason that the BB 1200/S and BB 3000 and 5000 basses (all neck through) are held in such high esteem? I suspect it's more than just nostalgia. 

A full Trav at the minute is a mere 3. If I get my way on a certain bass, it will actually only be 2. 

But then I still need that 414 in wine red...or a bb3000

6 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

A full Trav at the minute is a mere 3. If I get my way on a certain bass, it will actually only be 2. 

But then I still need that 414 in wine red...or a bb3000

Noooooooo....a "FULL fat Trav" has now been defined as being  = 4 Yammy BB's mate.

Just because you're currently not as much of a heavyweight (temporarily) as you used to be (partly due to selling basses and partly due to drinking less beer) doesn't mean you can chop and change internationally agreed BB standards that have been universally adopted a while back.

What you're simply saying is that you Trav (the BB guru) are on the way to owning just 50% of a "FULL fat Trav" (complement of basses).

You can't just decide a 5' 10" is actually 5' 9" 'cos you've shrunk a bit in later life. That won't do at all!

33 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Noooooooo....a "FULL fat Trav" has now been defined as being  = 4 Yammy BB's mate.

Just because you're currently not as much of a heavyweight (temporarily) as you used to be (partly due to selling basses and partly due to drinking less beer) doesn't mean you can chop and change internationally agreed BB standards that have been universally adopted a while back.

What you're simply saying is that you Trav (the BB guru) are on the way to owning just 50% of a "FULL fat Trav" (complement of basses).

You can't just decide a 5' 10" is actually 5' 9" 'cos you've shrunk a bit in later life. That won't do at all!

I’m on a bb diet. It’s an attitude problem I’ve developed since reconnecting with @bigsmokebass

The house purchase has slowed my progress and impeded the growth of my collection.

a bb414wr and a bb714bs will be in the collection before Christmas.

so that would only leave a 3000 in metallic red and a 1600 in gunmetal to source.

Edited by AndyTravis