Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

OMG! We've just added this to our covers set (Shut up and dance) - the 735A the active setting John mentioned earlier (i.e 3/4 J with boosted mids) totally nails that throaty tone!

Right I'll shut up about this great bass now...

That's a great tune for auditioning drummers 😂

I like to go all out fuzz for bass on it!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, M@23 said:

That's a great tune for auditioning drummers 😂

I like to go all out fuzz for bass on it!

Actually adding a bit of dirt is definitely on point for that one, Mark!

But if you're having to "put up with" 😀 a BB P34 (or was it a P35?) then I'm guessing then there's likely to be a little less inherent grit in the all passive circuitry in comparison to the 735A in active mode? Be interesting to A/B them at some point, but best if you do that without me as I'll just have a bad case of bass envy if I get to hear your BB P34 in the flesh 😂

Edited by Al Krow
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

But if you're having to "put up with" 😀 a BB P34 (or was it a P35?) then I'm guessing then there's likely to be a little less inherent grit in the all passive circuitry in comparison to the 735A in active mode?

I may be reading this incorrectly but an active circuit shouldn’t be introducing grit or dirt - mine doesn’t when matching those settings listed m. The song does need a dirt pedal to recreate the sound (obviously) but you may find the pushed mids overdriving your input? 

Is your amp clean to begin with or are your ‘boosted mids’ pushing a dirty amp? It could be a headroom issue or a battery needing replaced? What amp and cabs are you using?

Edited by krispn

1 hour ago, krispn said:

I may be reading this incorrectly but an active circuit shouldn’t be introducing grit or dirt - mine doesn’t when matching those settings listed m. The song does need a dirt pedal to recreate the sound (obviously) but you may find the pushed mids overdriving your input? 

Is your amp clean to begin with or are your ‘boosted mids’ pushing a dirty amp? It could be a headroom issue or a battery needing replaced? What amp and cabs are you using?

I'm using a Mesa M6 on setting 4 (slight mid boost) via a VK210. With a touch of mid boost on the active bass EQ. (Plenty of headroom and I'm not sure there's a better amp out there for the money! :)

Delivers a punchy throaty mid on the 3/4 J setting. 

Remember there is no ability to push the mids on purely passive on the BB 735A (or other BBs), it's just a treble roll off. So you're going to get a different flavour tonally between active and passive settings. 

I know bass gurus such as Scott Devine say that active vs passive has no impact on bass tone. On the this one I'm struggling to see that he's entirely right. 

3 minutes ago, bigsmokebass said:

Still wondering who's having to "put up with a BBP34/35" 🙃

Did I incorrectly remember you getting both these lovely basses?! If so, I now understand the large amount of confusion I seem to have caused you from your 'reactions' today! 

"put up with" in the sense of e.g. having to put up with having Brian May as your dep guitarist if you happened to be in a Queen tribute band 😁 

56 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Did I incorrectly remember you getting both these lovely basses?! If so, I now understand the large amount of confusion I seem to have caused you from your 'reactions' today! 

"put up with" in the sense of e.g. having to put up with having Brian May as your dep guitarist if you happened to be in a Queen tribute band 😁 

My confusion comes from your incompetence not knowing you're own equipment and not an insecurity of mine, not owning an active bass. I have no need for one when my amp and pedals do the job for me. I know if I need "dirt" that would be to add a little distortion and not to overdrive my amp to compromise my tone. 

I've invested a lot into my equipment because I know it will do the job for me and never let me down (apart from @AndyTravis BB300 which is a mere trophy for the collection 😜😂) I'm completely satisfied, I assure you. 

@Al Krow sorry I wasn’t clear I meant ‘headroom’ with the preamp on the bass not the amp or possibly a dodgy battery in the bass. I know mine has some anomaly with the A string so wasn’t sure if there might have been something else at play. It does sound like the ‘boost’ from the on board pre is pushing the Mesa preamp but If it’s nailing the sound you’re after win  win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigsmokebass said:

My confusion comes from your incompetence not knowing you're own equipment and not an insecurity of mine, not owning an active bass. I have no need for one when my amp and pedals do the job for me. I know if I need "dirt" that would be to add a little distortion and not to overdrive my amp to compromise my tone. 

I've invested a lot into my equipment because I know it will do the job for me and never let me down (apart from @AndyTravis BB300 which is a mere trophy for the collection 😜😂) I'm completely satisfied, I assure you. 

Aha so exploring a new piece of gear with mates is 'incompetence' in your world? 

I find myself understanding and in total agreement with @AndyTravis's earlier comment about you now! 😂

Hope you have a good evening gigging too. 

Edited by Al Krow

10 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I also said he was a d*ckhead.

I've got a sneaky suspicion that it was old King Lear who said that "never a truer word than spoken in jest". 

I bet he was incompetent on bass as well 😀

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I've got a sneaky suspicion that it was old King Lear who said that "never a truer word than spoken in jest". 

I bet he was incompetent on bass as well 😀

I wasn’t jesting. Every time I talk to him I think it a bit more. 😏

• Haha 1

So this came up on my YouTube recommended, always sit there in awe at just how good Mr East is and how funky the BB basses are 🤤

Also saw another video from Bass Musician Magazine where he does drop in about a Silent Bass, headless 5 string (now seen as the recent 6 string bass) and how he hopes to get them into production this year.