Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

1 minute ago, Cuzzie said:

Loads of excellent hum cancellers or essentially stacked humbuckers out there

Seymour Duncan, Lindy Fralin, Ulyate, Joe Barden,  Haüssel, sandberg black label to name a few

This. Throw Aguilar into the mix too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cuzzie said:

Loads of excellent hum cancellers or essentially stacked humbuckers out there

Seymour Duncan, Lindy Fralin, Ulyate, Joe Barden,  Haüssel, sandberg black label to name a few

Thanks Cuzzie, I have been looking at two the Seymour Duncan Apollo and  Dimarzio DP148, thing is, are they close to the original !

• Like 1

So the best thing I think about the new Yammy’s is that the pick up sizes are standard now (think I am correct) it opens up the possibility of changing it the whole PJ set of there is a specific balance you like.

Dont discount the EMG Geezer Butler set - very nice they are too.

As Cam said Aguilar, they have a nice pre-amp as well.

World is your oyster with a well crafted bass

5 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

So the best thing I think about the new Yammy’s is that the pick up sizes are standard now (think I am correct) it opens up the possibility of changing it the whole PJ set of there is a specific balance you like.

Dont discount the EMG Geezer Butler set - very nice they are too.

As Cam said Aguilar, they have a nice pre-amp as well.

World is your oyster with a well crafted bass

Changing pups can be an expensive mistake if you get it wrong lol and yes the pickup cavity is now standard size now, happy days.

I'll keep on looking anyway 

cheers

1 hour ago, whamni said:

After playing a MusicMan since 1980 it just got too heavy for me, so I got myself a BB734a and I'm loving it.

But  I changed the stings to Ernie Ball Flats and it made a big difference ( for me anyway), a nice P thump !

This is a great bass to play, fast low action and it's sound can cut through the mix big time, only gripe I have is the hum from

the bridge pup, but then it's a single coil and that will happen no matter what make of bass you have.

Has anyone changed the bridge pup, if so what make and model,   I love the sound but not the hum.

cheers 

Hum tends to come with active basses, especially those who play on stage with speakers, lights, radios, monitors and even stage fans. 

Do you still get hum when it's in passive? 

1 hour ago, gobasserk said:

If I could be a consultant at Yamaha...I would try to convince them to built pu frames where any other brand could fit in and still keep the surround design. Best of both worlds. Still I don't like the design without it. 

You'd also convince them to stick musicman pickguards on BB basses 😂 don't quit your day job just yet. 

6 hours ago, gobasserk said:

If I could be a consultant at Yamaha...I would try to convince them to built pu frames where any other brand could fit in and still keep the surround design. Best of both worlds. Still I don't like the design without it. 

Whereas personally I hated those surrounds and was glad when the new series didn’t have them as it meant I could now get one 😂