Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

9 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Am I correct in thinking you are London based? If so, I’ve got a white 1025, which you would be welcome to borrow for the gig if you don’t mind the extra string?

Thanks for the very kind offer Al, but I'm Ooop North in Oldham, and with 25 or so original songs to re-remember*, I think coping with a 5 (which I don't do well at the best of times 😕) would induce a panic attack... 🙂

* I'm listening to the recordings (some studio, some live) from the time and thinking 'Blimey, I was a bit busy back in the day...' 😃

Just now, Muzz said:

Thanks for the very kind offer Al, but I'm Ooop North in Oldham, and with 25 or so original songs to re-remember*, I think coping with a 5 (which I don't do well at the best of times 😕) would induce a panic attack... 🙂

* I'm listening to the recordings (some studio, some live) from the time and thinking 'Blimey, I was a bit busy back in the day...' 😃

I’ve got 3 bb’s if you’re stuck.

Thanks fella, I've got till November till the actual gig, so it's not a flat panic, but it'd be nice to rehearse with the bass a few times first, too. It's gotta be white, though, because we're going out as our own tribute act...just all a lot older and balder... 🙂

While I'm thinking on, and looking at the 414 as a cost-effective solution* (I'm only gonna play it for one gig, after all), 414 or 424? What's the real-world difference? Anyone had both?

* Although if a white 1024 came up. I'd stretch to that - the 2024s I've played have been brilliant basses, and the 1024 wasn't far behind.

80F747A6-E24D-4E4B-95C5-5BAF7DB9EA5D.thumb.jpeg.3811a903c38ab5afe51d44e9098f0042.jpegThe 414 is perfectly giggable, serviceable bass. I can’t believe the go for as little as they do.

i used to sell them alongside Fender USA standard basses and wonder what the point of buying one was.

i love my orange one and want a wine red one too. That white is tempting.

Edited by AndyTravis

13 hours ago, Muzz said:

No worries. Totally relate to what you're saying about coping with a 5: panic attack sums up exactly how I felt on a couple of the numbers when doing my first full two hour set with a 5...

• Like 1