Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

For the moment, being more a 6 strings (fretless) bass player, I have a TRB-6P fretless (defretted) in the herd, but it's not for this thread. 🤔

But I still have the pictures of my heavily modified BB5000A in the rare Purple Pearl finish.

• Like 1

Put loads of work into a pickguard for the white 1100s.

Then something none bass related has cropped up I need to sort...so it’ll have to go.

Played it back to back with the Sunburst and I think I’ve just got a soft spot for the SB and while the white one is lovely, it’s just not the sunburst one...fuming really. But needs must.

45 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

For the moment, being more a 6 strings (fretless) bass player, I have a TRB-6P fretless (defretted) in the herd, but it's not for this thread. 🤔

But I still have the pictures of my heavily modified BB5000A in the rare Purple Pearl finish.

PURPLE PEARL?! Oh god...have you any pictures of this unicorn bass? I feel a flood of GAS coming on...

Took the BB1025 out for a spin at rehearsal last night. I was a bit concerned that, particularly in just P setting, it wasn't cutting through as well as my Ibby SR1825 - certainly to my ears. 

Response from drummer was that he really liked the bass and although it was less 'throaty' (my phrase - he describes it as less 'aggressive') than the Ibby, it sat so well in the mix. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Took the BB1025 out for a spin at rehearsal last night. I was a bit concerned that, particularly in just P setting, it wasn't cutting through as well as my Ibby SR1825 - certainly to my ears. 

Response from drummer was that he really liked the bass and although it was less 'throaty' (my phrase - he describes it as less 'aggressive') than the Ibby, it sat so well in the mix. 

Out of interest, what strings do you use?

13 hours ago, CameronJ said:

To mask the pickup routing perhaps...?

The original ones, indeed, as it was a regular P/J configuration. To me, the best match would have been metallic surroundings for the new pickups to keep that Yamaha touch, but I got it already modified with these Bartolini pickups, a Glockenklang 3 bands EQ with 4 knobs and this pickguard à la Stingray. 

4 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Out of interest, what strings do you use?

Just the normal roundwounds that came with the bass (I don't think they specified make). They've had reasonable but not excessive use and I'm not a frequent string changer - quite happy to play in strings particularly on this as, a P/J bass. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

@Al Krow Did you try the middle pickup position out? It's the only setting I use!

Yes indeed I did, it definitely adds a bit more 'bite'. The pure P setting is the smoother of the two and interestingly has the least coil hum. (Which is magnified when rehearsing in a railway arch!) 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yes indeed I did, it definitely adds a bit more 'bite'. The pure P setting is the smoother of the two and interestingly has the least coil hum. (Which is magnified when rehearsing in a railway arch!) 

That’ll be because a P pickup is effectively a humbucker. The more “J” you add, the more hum you’ll get!

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

That’ll be because a P pickup is effectively a humbucker. The more “J” you add, the more hum you’ll get!

True, except going for two Js both together on a J bass is also noise cancelling. 

And some J pups are deliberately designed to eliminate coil hum. 

Just not the Yammy one! 

Edited by Al Krow

59 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

True, except going for two Js both together on a J bass is also noise cancelling. 

And some J pups are deliberately designed to eliminate coil hum. 

Just not the Yammy one! 

Exactly. The 2 halves of a P pickup do the equivalent job of adding 2 J pups together. The hum cancelling J pups on the market are either split coil or stacked coil “under the hood”, not dissimilar to a P pickup. 

Was this a positive ‘less throaty’ or a negative ‘less throaty’. Be good to know what sound the band are gravitating to in terms of sound between the p and the j I.e is the bass more ‘supportive’ in the mix or more prominent in the mix. 

8 minutes ago, krispn said:

Was this a positive ‘less throaty’ or a negative ‘less throaty’. Be good to know what sound the band are gravitating to in terms of sound between the p and the j I.e is the bass more ‘supportive’ in the mix or more prominent in the mix. 

It really depends on the track. We range in style from Motown to Gun's 'n' Roses and AC/DC! 

The drummer prefers less throaty for sure, because he probably has his literal fill of 'throat' in his death metal band 😂