Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

5 minutes ago, woolf said:

What I’d really like is a white one (like Johnathan Marons) to go alongside this that I could string with flats.... that would be very indulgent but completely necessary ofcourse 😂

white + BB = just a great match!

Why are Yammy not offering this on any of their current line up (other than the BBNE2)?! 

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

That really is lovely and seems to be a very fair price. 3 band EQ to boot?

Neck through and 5 string would have had me at his mercy...

Believe me, you’d be hard pushed to better it for £345. If the bb pile wasn’t considerable and I wasn’t waiting for some refunds to process (one damaged eBay item - I’ll get my money back sometime near Christmas) 🙄

5 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Believe me, you’d be hard pushed to better it for £345.

Awww I don't disagree! 

But there's space for just one more bass on my rack, and the "one" I'm waiting for is a neck through version of the BB 735A in white. That would just tick all the boxes for me! 

If that ever comes out, I'd happily pay BBP35 prices for it. Until then, I'll admire a great bass on at a great price such as this one but make do an mend with my (white) 1025 and NE2. 

Hi all,

I have the  new 734A and what a superb bass it is. My only concern is that it seems to live of a diet of batteries. Is anyone else finding an issue with that? I think it might be some electronic issue, a new battery is getting spent after a week in the bass (and that is not a week of nonstop playing). I have a feeling as if the bass draws from it as long as the switch is on active. But I need to do more tests.

But has anyone a similar issue with the 734A?

1 hour ago, udo said:

Hi all,

I have the  new 734A and what a superb bass it is. My only concern is that it seems to live of a diet of batteries. Is anyone else finding an issue with that? I think it might be some electronic issue, a new battery is getting spent after a week in the bass (and that is not a week of nonstop playing). I have a feeling as if the bass draws from it as long as the switch is on active. But I need to do more tests.

But has anyone a similar issue with the 734A?

How long have you owned the bass for? I’ve only had mine a couple of months and not played it constantly but no battery issues for me...

1 hour ago, udo said:

I tend to leave the cable plugged in after playing, lazy git I am.

I think this might be the problem then.

When bass not in use, I sometimes leave my switch in the active position, for many days - but with no cable plugged in.  I haven't experienced battery drain.

plugging in makes the active electronics live same with pedals as they use a three pin socket and route the electrics earth connection through the plug so always unplug when not using; also saves from accidental damage if cable gets pulled/tripped over etc..

11 minutes ago, Aidan63 said:

plugging in makes the active electronics live same with pedals as they use a three pin socket and route the electrics earth connection through the plug so always unplug when not using; also saves from accidental damage if cable gets pulled/tripped over etc..

Ah, I knew it! Ignorance doesn't save you! Thanks!

It is bloody gorgeous Andy. Did I ever mention I love the look of Yammy basses in white? 😀

Put it like this - I'm only currently after 5ers (and ideally a white neck through PJ with a 3 band active EQ) but I was THAT close to pulling the trigger on this one!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

It is bloody gorgeous Andy. Did I ever mention I love the look of Yammy basses in white? 😀

Put it like this - I'm only currently after 5ers (and ideally a white neck through PJ with a 3 band active EQ) but I was THAT close to pulling the trigger on this one!!

Give it time. You know where it is.

still trying to figure out who bought @Beedster‘s 2024mx - that’s the next on the list.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-Natural-broad-bass-Guitar-BB1200-1978/132921428163?hash=item1ef2bc08c3:g:chAAAOSwjfBcQG3k:rk:7:pf:0

Apart from the pickguard - this looks nice. Anyone spot anything wrong?

Wonder how low the offers accepted are?

The pickguard would be ok if it weren’t for the bridge side of the P pickup completely ruining the lines 🥴

Having been turned into a bb nerd by this thread I noticed Peter Hook with a new looking all black BB in the BBC bass programme. Looked like a 734a but all dark black. Not a BBP as 5 knobs. Hook signature model?! 

Guitar, Drum and Bass, Series 1: 2. On Bass... Tina Weymouth!: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m00023xl via @bbciplayer