Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

You guys are definitely making me see RED, but I'm not putting the white flag up on my white Yammys just yet 😀

Apologies, couldn't resist, particularly as this thread has just made it to its 600th post => for me that just reflects what a great bass the Yammy BBs are!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

My BB434 with tort pickguard from Jack's Instrument Services 🙂

Well that's a nice surprise (and a great looking bass) - didn't realise you were also a Yammy BB fan John! How long you been keeping that under wraps then? :)

11 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Well that's a nice surprise (and a great looking bass) - didn't realise you were also a Yammy BB fan John! How long you been keeping that under wraps then? :)

Yes, I have two of the new series and they are the only basses I play now.  I also had a white 425X a few years ago.

An excuse for another photo 😀

DSCF5483.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

Yes, I have two of the new series and they are the only basses I play now.  I also had a white 425X a few years ago.

An excuse for another photo 😀

DSCF5483.jpg

Out of interest what did you use to play and what made you decide to go back to BBs? 

(Have to say I'm actually really chuffed that someone who is as successful a function band player as you is endorsing the BB 434 and BB 735A :)

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Out of interest what did you use to play and what made you decide to go back to BBs?

The 5-string bass directly before the 735A was an Ibanez ATK805 which I liked but spent most of the time trying to make it sound like a passive P bass!

After owning the 735A for a bit, I then saw a 434 at a good price, and strung it with La Bella 0760M (the "Jamerson" set). Really enjoying this combination since I do play a lot of Motown.

someone who is as successful a function band player as you

I'm a very average player!  But I always turn up on time and help to set up the PA 😁

55 minutes ago, hookys6stringbass said:

I was going to redesign my 734a pick guard as I wanted to reverse the p pups... that's on hold until I find out if we're going to get a Hooky signature bass as I may have to sell the 734a to help fund it...

Oooh, what's the goss on the spec and release timing for this?

It's the touted replacement for the BB1200S right?

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Oooh, what's the goss on the spec and release timing for this?

It's the touted replacement for the BB1200S right?

No idea when it's going to be realeased... I thought when they realeased the Artist videos on Hooky that they were gearing up for a release date on his bass...

Apparently the red bass the custom shop made him is a BBp34 with active circuitry... 

Edited by hookys6stringbass

17 minutes ago, hookys6stringbass said:

No idea when it's going to be realeased... I thought when they realeased the Artist videos on Hooky that they were gearing up for a release date on his bass...

Apparently the red the custom shop made him is a BBp34 with active circuitry... 

That's interesting.  Hopefully it will help to keep the price down if Yamaha are using the standard BP34 neck and body. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been giving my BBNE2 a bit of spin over the last week. 

As you guys will know, I really do like playing my passive Yamaha BB1025 a LOT and consider it to be an amazing bass for the money; but in comparison the active BBNE2 brings a degree of tonal "light and shade" that sets it apart. 

I saw an ad for a white BBNE2 just recently in the "Items Wanted NO TRADE" section; but it only needed a quick play on my NE2 to remind me why I fell in love with it when I first tried it out back in March at the Yammy store and snapped up the first white one that came along used a couple of months later, and why moving it on any time soon would leave me with a massive dose of seller's regret!