Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

8 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Yeah.

i think I’m going to sort a 300 like my old one, then I want a 3000.

Andy - out of interest why would you prefer a BB3000 to either the more modern BB1024 (or indeed the older BB1200?)

I think the key difference between the 3000 and the 1024 is the neck through, so potentially a little more sustain?

I'm guessing there is more to it than a particular fondness for BBs with the "30.." at the start of the number? 😀

16 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Andy - out of interest why would you prefer a BB3000 to either the more modern BB1024 (or indeed the older BB1200?)

I think the key difference between the 3000 and the 1024 is the neck through, so potentially a little more sustain?

I'm guessing there is more to it than a particular fondness for BBs with the "30.." at the start of the number? 😀

I think it’s the neck-through thing.

18 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I think it’s the neck-through thing.

Ok I get that. I do also love a neck through, just something so elegant about the design. Just wish they would bring it out a bit more in some of the Yammy BB range, because it looks great. It seems to be a relatively "hidden" feature in the BB3000 and my BBNE2

• Like 1

Bolt ons are supposed to sound punchier though, I assume because the neck joint dampens the vibrations making the attack louder then the note that follows.

I believe the 1024-2025 range sound pretty different too, overwound pickups so louder and darker. Peter Hook wasn't happy with the sound of them until they came out with the new range that sounded more like the vintage ones anyway!

40 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ok I get that. I do also love a neck through, just something so elegant about the design. Just wish they would bring it out a bit more in some of the Yammy BB range, because it looks great. It seems to be a relatively "hidden" feature in the BB3000 and my BBNE2

Corrrrrrr! 🤨

64E646E3-779D-4555-BA7F-D53D6B8BFF2F.png

078C47A3-F194-4159-9C4A-E9C307BCD223.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hookys6stringbass said:

Has anyone tried the BB 434m... I missed out on a second hand one recently...

Yes I tried a 434 (rosewood fretboard, not maple) a couple of weeks ago and thought it felt glorious. Really really nice satin neck and pretty lightweight too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

The black really sits well on this, and a Pickguard is a must, for me anyhow.

had a few quotes to cut a pearl white and they’re all about £50/£60.

not that bothered at the minute so fitted the black one from a 2024x

349D32FB-52B9-43F8-ADED-0CCF0C34E95D.jpeg

0ABBCC50-7186-4020-9DFA-8CAAD0F0A03F.jpeg

9695BC96-A917-4D98-A4B7-49849142698E.jpeg

Have tried www.jacksinstrumentservices.com with regards to the pick guard???

Just now, hookys6stringbass said:

Have tried www.jacksinstrumentservices.com with regards to the pick guard???

Yeah he’s up the road...and I know his work is ace, still ends up about £50

gutted - the lad who sold me the black one had recently sold a White Pearl one 🙄

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

The black really sits well on this, and a Pickguard is a must, for me anyhow.

had a few quotes to cut a pearl white and they’re all about £50/£60.

not that bothered at the minute so fitted the black one from a 2024x

0ABBCC50-7186-4020-9DFA-8CAAD0F0A03F.jpeg

Love that - looks great!

• Thanks 1

The BB3000 was the top of the range Japanese - made bass in the early/ mid 1980's and was a fantastic bass. It had its own distinctive tone, and the neck-thru construction probably played a big part in that.

Compared to a traditional Fender-style PJ, the classic Yamaha BB's have a much wider frequency range. The bass goes deeper, the midrange is rich and complex, and the treble is extended. A Fender -style bass sounds a bit muted by comparison. That is not necessarily a bad thing, by the way, but a Yamaha has a very different tone, for better or worse, depending on your taste.

• Like 3