Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

Forgive me Basschat, for I have sinned.

On my way home with a matte black BB735a from Wunjo 😬 😈

Congrats and about time! You must know you shouldn't have moved on your old BB1025 (which still hasn't sold in the FS!). 

How / why did you manage to resist the lure of a BBP35? 

Obligatory pics please! 

Wunjos is my favourite London music store, period. It's not the biggest. It's just the most considerate of its customers, bar none. 

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Congrats and about time! You must know you shouldn't have moved on your old BB1025 (which still hasn't sold in the FS!). 

How / why did you manage to resist the lure of a BBP35? 

Obligatory pics please! 

Wunjos is my favourite London music store, period. It's not the biggest. It's just the most considerate of its customers, bar none. 

The resistance was pretty easy re: BBP35. The active/passive versatility of the 735a just filled me with more delight. And I much prefer the matte black of the 735a to both the sunburst and the midnight blue offerings of the P35.

Tom @ Wunjos did do me a nice deal which convinced me to abandon all thoughts of buying via the Yamaha Music Store. I’m a happy bunny - It’s an incredibly classy looking instrument IMO!

60781642-78A2-45AE-9DD3-CE64793F9C16.thumb.jpeg.d4c13b3a93e0e539ffac84f931159826.jpeg54222694-E649-49DF-8FAA-A099FF8018C6.thumb.jpeg.0fad06ee81d556b290472a1940ee718b.jpeg7845BBF4-0B1D-40B4-95B0-4C855DB21C2E.thumb.jpeg.b7e88fd8cfe0a9114ae6dddfc8f4ea5f.jpeg1DD578AA-84AE-484E-9A6A-3C76D45A0B3D.thumb.jpeg.b609dbee08022b517a3d5136bfbcb14d.jpeg29A547C8-F8F5-49D2-84DB-C904C5FA6806.thumb.jpeg.f7f8f39be37398533acbe3495e446eff.jpegB0110388-7F78-423B-AF3B-C310CD408A9E.thumb.jpeg.5102e1ee7ae4a787e512913992670b15.jpeg10665E1A-6761-450C-AE01-5977D49EEA6B.thumb.jpeg.5f92e4e8b37b4819cd252cbe048c035f.jpeg

• Like 3

It’s the little details that really get me. Things like the 3 ply pickguard which isn’t just a bog standard black-white-black but a much more pleasant black-aged white-black. A just visible 3 piece sandwich body construction, the barely visible 5 piece neck, gunmetal hardware and the “3D” circular metallic Yamaha logo on the headstock. Oh and the aged neck inlays (still not sure what they’re made of?)

On 13/11/2018 at 23:35, CameronJ said:

It’s the little details that really get me. Things like the 3 ply pickguard which isn’t just a bog standard black-white-black but a much more pleasant black-aged white-black. A just visible 3 piece sandwich body construction, the barely visible 5 piece neck, gunmetal hardware and the “3D” circular metallic Yamaha logo on the headstock. Oh and the aged neck inlays (still not sure what they’re made of?)

Hey Cameron J, I've had my BB735a for a few months now, totally agree with your review of the bass, I was wondering how you found the balance of the bass when playing on a strap? I've found that the headstock tends to want to pull down slightly, which is not uncommon with bb basses. Contemplating replacing the tuners with some hipshot ultralites to help balance it out.

Cheers bud

6 minutes ago, LloydyG10 said:

Hey Cameron J, I've had my BB735a for a few months now, totally agree with your review of the bass, I was wondering how you found the balance of the bass when playing on a strap? I've found that the headstock tends to want to pull down slightly, which is not uncommon with bb basses. Contemplating replacing the tuners with some hipshot ultralites to help balance it out.

Cheers bud

Hey @LloydyG10. Yeah I’d say I agree with you - when both of my hands/arms are off the bass it prefers to drift to a horizontal position rather than the position I’d play in, i.e. headstock tilted slightly upward. It’s not a severe issue for me but I have a very wide Gruv Gear Solostrap Neo which no doubt helps a bit. I do find the 735a to be noticeably lighter than my old 1025x.

Ultralites may be a nice upgrade. Although you’d have to put up with not being able to match the gunmetal colour of the rest of the hardware. 

7 minutes ago, ForestPoetry said:

Currently torn between a BB735A and a Warwick GPS Corvette for my next 5-string. I'm honestly more inclined to go for the Yamaha, as I like the passive switch and a P/J would make a nice change, and it's less expensive leaving more money leftover for a Sire fretless I'm also GASsing after.

Sounds to me like you’ve made your decision already :)

Just got myself a new BB734a in the matt black finish. First impressions are it definitely lighter than my BB1024X. The Fit and finish is absolutely top draw. In passive mode it doesn't seem quite as loud as the 1024X but in active mode its absoloutley thunderous, whith lots of usable tones.

The neck profile is a bit slimmer than the 1024x front to back but both of them feel really comfortable. Not had a chance to try it at volume yet but should get a opportunity this week. Got great service from Wunjos who had it sent up to Liverpool in a flash. 

Just a pity that Dawsons in Liverpool would not price match them and lost out on my business.

So top marks to Yamaha and Wunjos 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, mikeycrikey said:

Just got myself a new BB734a in the matt black finish. First impressions are it definitely lighter than my BB1024X. The Fit and finish is absolutely top draw. In passive mode it doesn't seem quite as loud as the 1024X but in active mode its absoloutley thunderous, whith lots of usable tones.

The neck profile is a bit slimmer than the 1024x front to back but both of them feel really comfortable. Not had a chance to try it at volume yet but should get a opportunity this week. Got great service from Wunjos who had it sent up to Liverpool in a flash. 

Just a pity that Dawsons in Liverpool would not price match them and lost out on my business.

So top marks to Yamaha and Wunjos 

Exactly my thoughts/experience!

• Like 1