Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

I must say the BB435 I bought a couple of months ago is an astonishingly good bass for the small outlay. The finish, hardware and pickups are all high quality, the neck is dead straight with a nice profile, the fretting is great and it’s one of the only PJ5 basses available that isn’t silly money. The only downside was the incredibly poorly-cut nut that rendered it unplayable. The shop very kindly offered to get the bass picked up, fixed and sent back free of charge but £5 worth of cheap needle files off eBay and 30 minutes’ careful work sorted it, and it’s a lovely bass. It’s a shame about the massive tuners weighing the headstock down, but at the price I’m not complaining.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

I must say the BB435 I bought a couple of months ago is an astonishingly good bass for the small outlay. The finish, hardware and pickups are all high quality, the neck is dead straight with a nice profile, the fretting is great and it’s one of the only PJ5 basses available that isn’t silly money. The only downside was the incredibly poorly-cut nut that rendered it unplayable. The shop very kindly offered to get the bass picked up, fixed and sent back free of charge but £5 worth of cheap needle files off eBay and 30 minutes’ careful work sorted it, and it’s a lovely bass. It’s a shame about the massive tuners weighing the headstock down, but at the price I’m not complaining.

Interesting point about the heave tuners. @Paul S modified his BB425 by replacing the tuners with a much lighter set for exactly that reason (he put the heavier ones back on before selling the bass onto me of course! 😂)

But the pups in the BB425 are just ridiculously punchy for a bass at this price point and I'm guessing similarly for the BB435?

Edited by Al Krow

Yes, they are what you would expect a passive Fender-style bass to sound like. The neck pickup is a P, and the bridge sounds like a normal J, and mixed together it’s a jazz bass with both pickups open. There is quite a bit of 60-cycle hum with the J solo or mixed but the neck is silent as expected. The paint job is as good as I have seen - mirror-like with no flaws or rough edges. And the 45-degree strings through body is a great idea.  I played the 735 but didn’t like the tone or playability as much. Not tried the P34/35 but expect them to be very similar, but with more hand-finishing perhaps. The pickups are the same as the 73.x series so not sure whether I’d want to pay 3-4 times as much over the 435 :)

3 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

my BB1025X though with both pickups on sounds unlike any Fender PJ (I’ve tried about a dozen of them!). The BB is way growlier!

+1^^ Yup there was definitely meaty growl coming out my MB Combo at last night's gig from my BB1025, but in a really good way! :) 

Edited by Al Krow

BBs are totally awesome, from the lower to the higher end basses, new and old. I think Yamaha BBs and Ibanez SRs are both fantastic ranges of basses.

I've had a few BBs from the 80s and 90s, a couple of 300s, 400F an 1100S and a 3000S which was absolutely stunning, loved that bass so much. @GreeneKing had a BB5000 which was beautiful. 

13 hours ago, Rayman said:

I think Yamaha BBs and Ibanez SRs are both fantastic ranges of basses.

I think I've just found my bass twin! :) 

If anyone's interested there are both a BB P34 and a BB P35 currently in the FS -  @CameronJ?

12 hours ago, GreeneKing said:

TRBs alas I've owned a few.

Couldn't quite work out whether that's regret for having bought them in the first place or for letting them go?!

Speaking of TRBs, must admit if there's one bass I still have GAS for it's a TRB 5Pii: neck through 5 er, P bass, 3 band EQ with sweepable mids (I believe). Yammy build quality + flagship bass. Fortunately (for my bank balance, at least) used TRB 5Pii's in vgc seem to be like hen's teeth...

Edited by Al Krow

9 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

A BB1025x has just popped up on Facebook for £550....

Great bass! Loving my BB1025 (without the "x" = pick guard, in case anyone is wondering what the difference is).

But I think it's already been snapped up within a few hours of being listed (unless that was you?)... not surprised, it's a LOT of quality bass for the money. You could easily pay twice as much for a Fender P that you might find you like a lot less.

Edited by Al Krow

7 hours ago, hypercarrots said:

Wouldn’t a bb1200 or bb2000 be better than a 1024 for that amount?

edit, never mind, I missed that it was a 1025...

In terms of 4 stringers, I'd love to hear the bb1200, 2000 and 1024 side by side. Have you played all three? 

But would you really get a BB1200 in vgc for £550?

Edited by Al Krow

Anyone looking for a BB434 at an temptingly low price?  Kenny's Music is selling black ones for the relatively small sum of £299 - normal price is in the £400-450 mark.  My preference was for the teal blue one but at this price I was willing to compromise ;)

https://www.kennysmusic.co.uk/yamaha-bb-434-4-string-bass-guitar-black

48 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Anyone looking for a BB434 at an temptingly low price?  Kenny's Music is selling black ones for the relatively small sum of £299 - normal price is in the £400-450 mark.  My preference was for the teal blue one but at this price I was willing to compromise ;)

https://www.kennysmusic.co.uk/yamaha-bb-434-4-string-bass-guitar-black

TBF, it's been a while since folk were paying £400 to £450 for 434s. They were pretty heavily discounted as end of line items to clear stock by most retailers: £280 to £320 was pretty much the going rate from mid 2017 onwards, so £299 is a reasonable price but not out of line.

Either way, if you've just bought one [Please ignore - just me talking rubbish and not for the last time I suspect!]

Congratulations! You've got a great bass with some kick-a*ss pups that will put most active basses to shame! :) 

Edited by Al Krow

9 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

TBF, it's been a while since folk were paying £400 to £450 for 434s. They were pretty heavily discounted as end of line items to clear stock by most retailers: £280 to £320 was pretty much the going rate from mid 2017 onwards, so £299 is a reasonable price but not out of line.

Either way, if you've just bought one you've got a great bass with some kick-a*ss pups that will put most active basses to shame! :) 

Are you sure?  Are you sure you're not thinking of the previous 424?  Didn't the 434 only come out last year?  How can it be end of line?  I just searched for the 434 and no-one else Google lists is selling for less than £400 (and I just doublechecked and that £400 is a returned item being sold as refurb).  Most of the usual suspects (GAK, Dawsons, Coda, G4M, Guitar Guitar) are selling it for £450.

Edited by neepheid

20 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Are you sure?  Are you sure you're not thinking of the previous 424?  Didn't the 434 only come out last year?  How can it be end of line?  I just searched for the 434 and no-one else Google lists is selling for less than £400 (and I just doublechecked and that £400 is a returned item being sold as refurb).  Most of the usual suspects (GAK, Dawsons, Coda, G4M, Guitar Guitar) are selling it for £450.

Ooops, sorry you're completely correct - I was thinking of the previous 424. Clearly my brain is getting fried trying to get my head around 2000W amps.

I'll amend my post!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ooops, sorry you're completely correct - I was thinking of the previous 424. Clearly my brain is getting fried trying to get my head around 2000W amps.

I'll amend my post!

No worries, and there are way worse ways to fry your brain :)

So yeah, I think it's a bargain and now that I've secured mine, you can fill your boots!  Been a while since I had a (fretted) BB - looking forward to having one back in the collection once again!

16 minutes ago, neepheid said:

No worries, and there are way worse ways to fry your brain :)

So yeah, I think it's a bargain and now that I've secured mine, you can fill your boots!  Been a while since I had a (fretted) BB - looking forward to having one back in the collection once again!

When's it arriving? I really regretted moving my 425 on, so much so I ended up getting another BB (1025) pretty quickly (which ain't going anywhere); the new 434s do look really good!

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

When's it arriving? I really regretted moving my 425 on, so much so I ended up getting another BB (1025) pretty quickly (which ain't going anywhere); the new 434s do look really good!

I'm picking it up next Wednesday on pay day :)

Played a black BB435 in GuitarGuitar Edinburgh today - sadly they had none of the higher end models in - absurdly good bass with a lovely naked maple neck and set up really well too. Put many of the more expensive basses around it to shame. The only thing that could compete was a polar white Lākland 55-02 which was about 3x the price!

• Like 1

On 21/10/2018 at 08:11, Al Krow said:

In terms of 4 stringers, I'd love to hear the bb1200, 2000 and 1024 side by side. Have you played all three? 

But would you really get a BB1200 in vgc for £550?

I have plenty of PJ bases so not interested in the 2000 and 1024. Also not interested in the 1024 because of the pickups and the configuration of the P pickup. 2 of my three BB1200 are very good condition and cost me about that much. One came with the original case in very good condition. No duct tape on the handle even. The third one has some scratches here and there and cost less. 

Edited by hypercarrots
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Definitely try a 1024 if you get the chance. They sound very different to a typical PJ with both pickups engaged.

Agreed. I believe part of it is to do with the fact it has a pickup switch rather than a blend knob. Definitely worth checking out.