Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

20 hours ago, hookys6stringbass said:

Yes it would seem so...

Hookys son said on my Vintage Yamaha page  that if they reissued the 1200s if would cost about £3000....

With due respect to Yamaha, £3,000 would be a ridiculous price for a neck through P bass!

On 18/08/2018 at 10:42, Al Krow said:

With due respect to Yamaha, £3,000 would be a ridiculous price for a neck through P bass!

I mean, Yamaha make superb instruments but I’d only expect to pay that kind of money for a highly specced custom bass from the likes of ACG/Alpher etc with exotic woods and fancy preamp. Madness for a Yamaha P.

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

Agreed, looking at the picture. Back in the day my old 1000 was bolt on, it was also a P.... clearly this is an S and PJ so my bad..

Ah, thanks for that info. This is exactly the confusion that arises when manufacturers have so many similar model numbers within a product line!

46 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

Agreed, looking at the picture. Back in the day my old 1000 was bolt on, it was also a P.... clearly this is an S and PJ so my bad..

Yup this is the "S" version i.e. BB1000S

Think about cars back in the day and adding an "S". It was only ever a more desirable model, right? :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, hookys6stringbass said:

Of course.....;-)

Lol! You gonna keep me hanging then.

What I need to hear from you is why the BB1200S is just so much better than the BB1000S and why I should quench my GAS with immediate effect 😂

• Haha 1

Guys - hope you don't mind, but I've amended the thread title, as this seems to have become a general Yamaha BB thread a long while back and has moved on from being an announcement of the "new" BB X34 and X35 series.

This has been an expensive thread for me. I've bought and sold a total of FIVE Yamahas since this thread started! I've literally been hoist by my own petard thread haven't I? 🤣

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 3

Just now, Al Krow said:

Guys - hope you don't mind, but I've amended the thread title, as this seems to have become a general Yamaha BB thread a long while back and has moved on from being an announcement of "new" BB X34 and X35 series.

This has been an expensive thread for me. I've bought and sold a total of FIVE Yamahas since this thread started! I've literally been hoist by my own petard thread haven't I? 🤣

Five?!? That’s an impressive tally!

Bought and sold.

First BB1025 (new) was shop soiled (scratched below the varnish) on delivery and not something they could put right --> went back

BB425 --> swapped for a SR1206. Love the SR; regretted big time moving the BB425 on.

Second BB1025, well actually you were there CJ when the deed was done. And you know you shouldn't have sold yours! Love mine: with the tone rolled off there's nothing in my stable that comes close to that particular subby-tone.

Dream bass = Yammy BBNE2 (neck through, individual bridge pieces, sculpted body, brilliant versatile EQ, 5er). Well actually I do now remember you putting any that came up in the FS under my nose till resistance became futile.

Second BB425 a project bass...

Hah! So actually you're not entirely blame free are you? 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Bought and sold.

First BB1025 (new) was shop soiled (scratched below the varnish) on delivery and not something they could put right --> went back

BB425 --> swapped for a SR1206. Love the SR; regretted big time moving the BB425 on.

Second BB1025, well actually you were there CJ when the deed was done. And you know you shouldn't have sold yours! Love mine: with the tone rolled off there's nothing in my stable that comes close to that particular subby-tone.

Dream bass = Yammy BBNE2 (neck through, individual bridge pieces, sculpted body, brilliant versatile EQ, 5er). Well actually I do now remember you putting any that came up in the FS under my nose till resistance became futile.

Second BB425 a project bass...

Hah! So actually you're not entirely blame free are you? 😂

AND IT'S STAYING HERE! :biggrin:

I'm still astounded how much quality is in that bass for the money I paid for it. Had it not been a totally different animal, I reckon it would've easily rivaled my Modulus 5SS. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

🤯, makes me feel inadequate with only one BB.

Yes - but you have a very impressive pedal board. 

PB - Hazbeen 18-06.jpeg

... and all that's needed to make it near perfect is to replace that Duality with a Mastotron and add a SA Manta (and possibly a Thumpinator) 😁

Edited by Al Krow

35 minutes ago, ChunkyMunky said:

AND IT'S STAYING HERE! :biggrin:

I'm still astounded how much quality is in that bass for the money I paid for it. Had it not been a totally different animal, I reckon it would've easily rivaled my Modulus 5SS. 

Couldn't agree more - amazing value, particularly at the end-of-line and used prices these were going for.

So many features on the BB1025 make its quality stand out, such as: excellent pups, 5 piece neck, diagonal body through stringing, 3 piece spline joint body and nickel silver nut (the same material as the fret wires) to give the same sound quality and feeling even when open notes are played. And oh that subby-tone with the tone dialled off!

Well they ain't making these any more and whilst they probably won't ever be held in the same esteem as the BB1200s, I suspect that they will continue to be much loved. 

Edited by Al Krow

Bas, I want your white 1025 😁

The new BBP35 is astonishingly good. Think I'll look to pick up a 235 next, unless I can find a 425 when the time comes. Wish I'd tried the BB's years ago!

IMG_20180714_151859.thumb.jpg.756ecd20b12cb16e70ddfb5fca263e3c.jpg

Edited by M@23
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, M@23 said:

Bas, I want your white 1025 😁

The new BBP35 is astonishingly good. Think I'll look to pick up a 235 next, unless I can find a 425 when the time comes. Wish I'd tried the BB's years ago!

IMG_20180714_151859.thumb.jpg.756ecd20b12cb16e70ddfb5fca263e3c.jpg

Mark, we've been waiting for your detailed BB P35 review like for ever, so I'm glad we're finally getting a peek at this. Does look lovely (even from that angle!)

But delighted that you're still loving it even though the honeymoon period must shortly be coming to an end (how long is a bass honeymoon period anyway?!) 

White BB1025 is about as likely to leave the Krow household as @ChunkyMunky's. So don't hold your breath (in case of asphyxiation). 😄 

However "when the time comes" if you're still after a relatively mint black BB425 (currently without a selector switch, which I need to reattach) then give me a shout. 

Remind me what you used to play bass wise, which has since made way for your BB P35?