Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

Just now, krispn said:

Cue the inevitable @Al Krow ‘Two of the very best trainers for indie!’ thread. 

Can't work out whether that should be posted in 'Off Topic' or 'General Discussion' though, or perhaps more accurately... 'Accessories...' ?? 😂

• Haha 1

On 29/03/2019 at 16:07, jrixn1 said:

Was it the B string?  I think that's how it comes stock. The saddles are reversible - I think it's something to do with the string break angle (?).

Really good comment relating to the reversed saddle on the B string (from a TBer who doesn't actually own the bass). If this guy is correct, I may need to put mine back to reversed factory setting for the B string!

"If I may suggest, I do think the B saddle is a way to improve the tone of the B string. That sharp angle moves the witness point back a little, so the saddle sits a little further forward than it would otherwise. This, along with the angled string-through-body feature, reduces the break angle of the string quite a bit. IME, when a B string has a really sharp break angle due to traditional string-through design, once the bend causes the winding to separate, even a new B string can sound dead and lifeless compared to the other strings. I avoid stringing the B through the body (if I have a choice) for this very reason. To my eye, Yamaha may have solved this problem with a couple fairly simple improvements."

Edited by Al Krow

I'm pretty sure that pretty much all the UK bass players on this thread will have got their Yammy BBs from UK suppliers (or Thomann UK) when they have bought new. 

Edited by Al Krow

Not me,  I think I bought my BB1025X for something like £675 from Thomann when most places over here were selling them for £850.

I don't know the risks when it comes to CITES, but there is a dedicated thread on the subject somewhere around these parts.

6 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Not me,  I think I bought my BB1025X for something like £675 from Thomann when most places over here were selling them for £850.

I got my BB1025 new (end of line) from the Yammy store in London for £550 when most places had been selling them for £675 😛

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@AndyTravis et al

Just had a mate ask me if the bass he was looking at was a BB414. Looked like it to me. But visually and construction wise what are the key differences between the 414 and the 424?

424’s have stripey necks and string through body bridges.

414’s have 1 piece necks and top load bridges.

6A564394-B07B-43A7-839C-00750603A7B3.jpeg

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting, so visually little difference from the front. But both design features could be considered an improvement in the later model i.e. laminated neck = greater strength and string through arguably better than bridge for even string tension.

Very little difference in price between the 414s and 424s these days. 

Edited by Al Krow

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Interesting, so visually little difference from the front. But both design features could be considered an improvement in the later model i.e. laminated neck = greater strength and string through arguably better than bridge for even string tension.

Very little difference in price between the 414s and 424s these days. 

I love my 414, split equally with my 1024, it’s a bit nastier...🤦🏻‍♂️😂

9 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

I like the colours of the 414 better.  700series colours are a bit.... boring too 😞 

No question the colours are limited on the 734/5.

The tonal range is anything but, however!

I guess it depends whether you're primarily buying your bass as a fashion accessory or to sound great?

Each to their own of course 😂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

I would love to have the chance to buy a BB that combines best of both worlds. It would not be THAT difficult for a company like Yamaha - who did it in former years 😉 

I have to agree with you.

I was going to try to hold out in getting a a BB 735A until they made them available in white (in my case). And I would totally pay extra if they made them neck through like the older BB 1200 / 1200S models!

But then one came up used for a good price with very few 'miles on the clock' and I couldn't resist!

Two weeks in and I'm very glad I didn't try to put off buying; it's an excellent bass.

I'll just need to get a colourful hand bag as a fashion accessory I guess...

Edited by Al Krow

I don't know if that sounds weird but every time I try out a 734 against a BBP in the Musicstore I always prefer the 734.  -For me- the neck fells better and it is the far more better bass when it comes to feel and playability. I always try to think, tha's not possible, but I won't buy a BBP ... Fender must be Yamaha's aim when it comes to colours... by the way I liked the 414 better than the 424. Had both. 

For the neck through... I love the neck through BBs but I prefer the bolt ones tone wise.  It features my fingerstyle playing better with more punch.  Are you happy with the b string? Have not played a 735 yet. 

Edited by gobasserk