Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

1 minute ago, bigsmokebass said:

Something to do with the number 1 being rather unlucky in Japanese. I'm not entirely sure but I'm sure someone will jump on this. 

@AndyTravis

I had a book on the origins of boss compact pedals saying certain numbers are considered unlucky in Japanese culture (4/8) etc.

my guess is each dot has a cost. Fender made 3rd fret the first dot and they followed suit. 

If you make 10,000 guitars/basses a month, that cost of ¥1 or whatever soon mounts up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Ok 'fess up, who else besides me finds twiddling their gun metal knobs on a black body bass and a poorly lit stage mid gig, tricky?

I've had to resort to taking drastic action ahead of tomorrow night's gig...

Yamaha 735A knobs.jpg

I never look at my knobs, I just do it by feel, a quick twiddle to see how far they are from min/max/centre is all that's required. The colour of them is irrelevant if there are no markers on them, and 90% of basses have no markers!

But if you enjoy staring at knobs, knock yourself out!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

I never look at my knobs, I just do it by feel, a quick twiddle to see how far they are from min/max/centre is all that's required. The colour of them is irrelevant if there are no markers on them, and 90% of basses have no markers!

But if you enjoy staring at knobs, knock yourself out!

Having a twiddle with your knobs in the bedroom is fine, dB!

The need for quick accuracy live is another matter if you are swapping from passive and active - having an additional visual cue certainly doesn't hurt. 

Are you just playing a 1025X or do you now have a 735A also? They are very different beasts, knob wise. 

Edited by Al Krow

10 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Ok 'fess up, who else besides me finds twiddling their gun metal knobs on a black body bass and a poorly lit stage mid gig, tricky?

Yamaha 735A knobs.jpg

You could get some Sadowsky knobs, I have them on three of my basses with Sadowsky pres in them. Nice and easy to see in the dark, and superb quality. 

If you need the visual cue then go for it. If you’re only switching from tone rolled back in passive to boosting the mids and further treble adjustments in active you should quickly get used to your preferred settings and eventually lose the ‘aide memoire’ rather than detracting from the sleek look of the bass. Do you need to do this adjustment mid song? I know you’re not a fan of dead air but adjusting the eq must be all of a few seconds? 

I get most of my additional eq options from a pedal with more control over the frequency I wanna push which typically isn’t found in an on board preamp. Just my preference. 

13 minutes ago, therealting said:

You could get some Sadowsky knobs, I have them on three of my basses with Sadowsky pres in them. Nice and easy to see in the dark, and superb quality. 

Nice thought. What do yours look like on your bass (pic please!)? 

2 minutes ago, krispn said:

If you need the visual cue then go for it. If you’re only switching from tone rolled back in passive to boosting the mids and further treble adjustments in active you should quickly get used to your preferred settings and eventually lose the ‘aide memoire’ rather than detracting from the sleek look of the bass. Do you need to do this adjustment mid song? I know you’re not a fan of dead air but adjusting the eq must be all of a few seconds? 

I get most of my additional eq options from a pedal with more control over the frequency I wanna push which typically isn’t found in an on board preamp. Just my preference. 

Oh between songs for sure.

Doesn't look too bad actually in real life (exaggerated by being a close up) and not that anyone else will notice - bear in mind my band-mates didn't spot me playing a 5er for the first time 9 months back! 😂

It is just a few seconds but nice to get it pretty accurate once you know what works well for you. As you know there are no markings on the bass or knobs other than the click when you hit centre point. I've got the EQs centred in the pic and as you can see from the pic and, as you'll know already from having a 734A, centre is not "vertical" or actually in the precisely same position for any of the EQ knobs - the bass EQ being slightly different to the mid and treble on mine. 

I'm guessing if you opened the bass up it should be possible to get a vertical centre for the EQ knobs if you wanted to. Or not?

Edited by Al Krow

11 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Yamaha 735A knobs.jpg

Well if that's the sound you're rocking on your EQ, maybe this bass isn't for you 😂 you've definitely got to feel for the sound than worry about it being on a precise number or rotation. 

So glad to be rocking passive basses 🙌🏻

• Like 2

I'm guessing if YOU opened the bass up it should be possible to get a vertical centre for the EQ knobs if YOU wanted to. I've no need or desire to finesse a problem I don't believe exists :) Or just feel it out!

I get the point about accuracy but you're just boosting one frequency not finding a particular frequency to nail the 'poke through the mix'. Just turn the knob until your happy with the volume. It doesn't really need that much engineering or thought but again if the stickers work and you're more comfortable then it's right for you.

Edited by krispn
grammah!

11 minutes ago, bigsmokebass said:

Well if that's the sound you're rocking on your EQ, maybe this bass isn't for you 😂 you've definitely got to feel for the sound than worry about it being on a precise number or rotation. 

So glad to be rocking passive basses 🙌🏻

Doh! That's not my preferred EQ (see earlier post for what is on both active and passive).

The only reason you're rocking only passive basses is that you're worried about your batteries running out.  Never been an issue ever for me - active bass batteries last ages if you remember to unplug your bass over night. 

So, more accurately, this bass isn't for YOU 😋 But I'm sure your BB P34/5 will be just fine with their limited EQ options which you can 'feel'.

Edited by Al Krow
Apparently that's the modern look for 'you',
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

... but for now I've cured my addiction to buying bass gear!

Well that's a good thing and @Sibob will no doubt want to welcome you as a hair shirt member of his bass-monk abstinence brigade.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

I find that white tack with an orange or blue smartie on top provides the best visual and tactile dysfunction whilst also providing well neeeded snacks

Speaking of snacks, you a Sandwich-berg lover by any chance?

• Confused 1

My point about centring the knob is pretty simple - set all controls to their centre detent, put the markers at 12 o’clock/6 o’clock so ‘centre’ is visually straight down. Adjust to you’re preferred position. It’s really that simple.

Or you could loosen the grub screw and remove the knobs. Adjust the pot to where you like it and replace the knob with the grub screw positioned at noon as you look down at the knob - you have a visual aid when your eq is where you like it but granted it’s harder to see in the dark!

I’ve found that there isn’t really one eq setting for every gig so some nights you might need more bass or more mids depending on the room etc. 

2 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

That counts as changing electronics

Not allowed after any purchase of a bass.....

You need to check the definition of electronics. I think you'll find plastic is not generally regarded as an electronic device... you'll be saying that changing PGs counts as changing electronics next, at which point we will all start choking on your Berg sandwich 😂

• Confused 1

5 knobs approx £10 a knob, you’ll either have to buy a screw driver set to change them out, or get a tech to do it, unless you can find the screw driver set you got from your Xmas crackers, that all adds up.....

All in all about 10% bass cost from the purchase price you got it for.

As per previous comments £1-2k  bass, change the Preamp for a new one £100-200 price range, previously ridiculed for being a waste of money.......

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

That counts as changing electronics

Not allowed after any purchase of a bass.....

If you’ve found a bass that looks and feels perfect, but doesn’t quite sound right, why not change the electronics to make the complete package?

£50 for a pic guard or a set of knobs, cos you fancy it cosmetically is not a huge sum to add, and if the bass costs £725 new, only gets you to £775 or £825 all in. 

(Aside: I do LOVE John's tort PG he had made for his BBs btw. If you've not seen, worth a peek it's somewhere earlier on this thread). 

Adding £300 for pups + £200 for an EQ to a £1,750 Sandberg cos you're not happy with the sound is a different matter. 

Edited by Al Krow

Proportions, prices new vs old  etc can be trotted out to validate any argument,

Any builder/luthier/manufacturer you order straight may build you a shell of a bass, no electronics,l for a different cost and you drop your own in, or at cost neutral exercise you sell off an existing one and pop in a dofferent one new or second hand, or you can specify what you want, we seem to go back to Sandberg, but within their range past and present and easily accessible is Delano, Haüssel, sandberg, sandberg black labels, Seymour Duncan’s.

@therealting I am fully up for making changes, not an issue