Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

1 minute ago, BassApprentice said:

Not specifically BB related, but where do you look for these rare and wonderful basses? 

I find eBay and gumtree to not be particularly fruitful most of the time.... 

Facebook marketplace throws up all sorts.

The lady selling for husband is also selling a white TRBX 5 string, but I’m not after one of those 🙂

17 hours ago, rhysyjob said:

Hi folks, 

Any opinions on a BB P34?

I have an RBX200F from 1989 that I still love 32 years later. But am tempted to join the BB club…..

It's a great bass. You may not find it too different from a BB 1024 if you want to save yourself a few quid.

27 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

The elusive unicorn pt2 has been found…

very, very happy.

image.png.97338337dff42ce016cda30a3271a956.png

Come on then Mr T, what gem have you uncovered?! 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

Not specifically BB related, but where do you look for these rare and wonderful basses? 

I find eBay and gumtree to not be particularly fruitful most of the time.... 

I have a list of the decent (or sometimes not) UK guitar shops 2nd hand pages. I check them daily.

On 13/02/2022 at 11:36, Ricky Rioli said:

I was peering at the BB, trying to work out how come something could both be a bit on the heavy side and also have a bit of head-dive. Once I put it down, my eyes went to the P, and immediately I noticed a difference. Perhaps the gloss on the Squier also makes it look more svelte?

I've been trying to work out if, theoretically, the thick 424 neck could be put on a body that was both lighter and better balanced.

What I'll do, of course, is sell it sooner rather than later, and then spent decades whining regretfully about having let the most comfy neck I ever met

Basses can very easily be heavy and still neck dive. It has passed into received wisdom on Basschat that basses need to have a certain amount of weight to the body to prevent neck dive.  (Probably because it suits people with heavy basses to promote that idea when they are trying to sell them.)The reality is that it's more complicated than that.

A bass with a very light body body may neck dive when in the playing position sitting down without a strap, but depending on the positioning of the strap pins in relation to the overall design, can still balance perfectly on a strap. If a light bodied bass neck dives on a strap it is not necessarily  just because it has light body. More likely it's  due to the shape of the body in relation to the neck and the weight of the neck and tuners. If that is the case, heavier body won't help much.

Conversely, some bass designs will neck dive regardless of how heavy the body is. Body weight is only one factor, not the decisive one. If the shape of the bass and where it places the strap pins is is wrong, it will never balance properly on a strap.

Edited by Misdee

18 hours ago, rhysyjob said:

Hi folks, 

Any opinions on a BB P34?

I have an RBX200F from 1989 that I still love 32 years later. But am tempted to join the BB club…..

I had one for a while. They are very well made with a fairly slender neck but mine was a bit too heavy for my taste. The sound is inherently bright and snappy with a noticeably lean bottom end, but it sounds like it was designed to be that way on purpose, if you see  what I mean. I found the sound very different to my 2024x, which has a much more low end.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

39F59F4B-17F6-46B9-A7CD-6DDA84D16CDA.jpeg

Smashing basses, I remember them well. I would have bought one but the only thing that put me off was I couldn't get used to Jazz Bass with a 40mm nut, silly as that may be. Cracking basses nevertheless.

I remember it getting a rave review in  Bass Player magazine back in the day.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Misdee said:

Smashing basses, I remember them well. I would have bought one but the only thing that put me off was I couldn't get used to Jazz Bass with a 40mm nut, silly as that may be. Cracking basses nevertheless.

Yeah, I’ve been after one since drooling over them in a catalogue years ago…

C43DB828-F971-4924-B400-F171F174F349.jpeg

• Like 4

I watched a video of how you can fiddle with the preamps innards and it went right over my head 😂 But I did like that you ended up with a flat sound and two pre-tweaked sounds. Think I'd go for boosted mids and really boosted mids, please ;)

What is the nut width? I had been assuming it was the old fashioned full fat BB 43mm?

29 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

What is the nut width? I had been assuming it was the old fashioned full fat BB 43mm?

I read something today - thought it was a post on here (?) that it was 40mm/Jazz.

I’m just packing up for rehearsal as I’ve had 2 negative Covid tests in 48hrs and while I feel like I’ve been washed inside with a mucky tea towel, the opportunity to hear both new Musicman basses at volume with new strings is motivational.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Misdee said:

@Ricky Rioli - went momentarily blind, it was @Misdee’s post above

• Haha 1