Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Looks like it’s been reduced to £375, and accepting offers 

That's offers above the starting bid to end the auction early. 

I'd want to pay £75 below the starting bid. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Ah well. Bb300 on the way to Dublin.

Happy it’s going to a friend who I’ve recorded for who wanted “the bb sound you get…”

And then comes the debate…does the 350 stay. It’s different enough to justify.

Mmmmm BB Jazz, what colour  

10 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Ah I see, I thought it was accepting offers below the 375

Well saying that, I'm only assuming that's how offers on a auction style listing works. 

Offers on a 'Buy It Now' listing is to make a lower offer than the asking price. I'd assumed newer feature of offers on an auction style listing is ebays way of making sure they get their cut from auctions that are ended early when someone offers an amount the seller is happy to accept. So presumably the offer has to be higher than the starting bid. 

Reading that back, maybe I'm overthinking this. 😁

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maude said:

Well saying that, I'm only assuming that's how offers on a auction style listing works. 

That is indeed how it is supposed to work. Although obviously you can offer anything, and if they wanted to accept it they could, but generally it is an offer above the starting price to end it eariy.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Woodinblack said:

That is indeed how it is supposed to work. Although obviously you can offer anything, and if they wanted to accept it they could, but generally it is an offer above the starting price to end it eariy.

My wife used my eBay account and was lowballing offers on kids shoes :S I had to explain that they probably wanted more than their starting price

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

My wife used my eBay account and was lowballing offers on kids shoes :S I had to explain that they probably wanted more than their starting price

If you are not careful when listing it automatically switches that offer thing on, so last time I listed something as an auction someone immediately made me an offer of half my starting price. So I switched offers off.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hacksawbob said:

Purists avert your eyes! 

I found the stock bridge pickup a bit anemic and noisy in the bb350f. The pup route is not standard though as it has rounded ends rather than squared like a Fender. I had an Enwhistle jbxn lying around so I printed a new pup cover for it to adapt to the Yammy rout! I might get closer for the exact holes at some point but this will do for testing. 

IMG_20211002_214221.jpg

Those are supposed to be excellent pickups, nice job!

11 hours ago, Hacksawbob said:

Purists avert your eyes! 

I found the stock bridge pickup a bit anemic and noisy in the bb350f. The pup route is not standard though as it has rounded ends rather than squared like a Fender. I had an Enwhistle jbxn lying around so I printed a new pup cover for it to adapt to the Yammy rout! I might get closer for the exact holes at some point but this will do for testing. 

IMG_20211002_214221.jpg

32 minutes ago, EJWW said:

Those are supposed to be excellent pickups, nice job!

I've got a pair of these in a Jazz bass with a series switch.

Powerful, punchy, burpy jazz tones individually but seriously huge sounding in series. 

Great pickups. 

• Like 1

When and why did Yamaha get the idea that more we want to spend on a bass, the less interest we will have in nice colours?

Most interesting colour available per model:

424 — Red
1024 — Caramel Brown (sombre trans red)
2024 — White

234 — Raspberry Red
434 — Teal 
734 — Translucent Matte Black
P34 — Midnight Blue

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Really like the bb1600 in this “gunmetal” finish. But they seem to be a unicorn amongst unicorns…

D312831C-35C8-4A0F-A546-75831F122A06.jpeg

My BB1600 was black with matching headstock and back of neck. The gold hardware on it really set it off 👌

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

When and why did Yamaha get the idea that more we want to spend on a bass, the less interest we will have in nice colours?

424 — Red
2024 — White

234 — Raspberry Red
434 — Teal 
P34 — Midnight Blue

They just do a few other colours, just in case for some bizarre reason people don't want a vintage white one. 😉

I do like the look of the teal 434 though, oh yeah and the orange 414 is amazing, the black 424x looks great too.

Ok ok, but vintage white is the best with a black scratchplate. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

424 — Red
2024 — White

234 — Raspberry Red
434 — Teal 
P34 — Midnight Blue

We need some new colours for 2022 

54 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

424 — Red
2024 — White

234 — Raspberry Red
434 — Teal 
P34 — Midnight Blue

We need some new colours for 2022 

@Al Krow I still have a BB1500A, I got it as a backup for my TRB4 Mk1 as it was the closest thing I could find to it, saying that they are very different, I put some TI flats on it and it sounds awesome.

I did a swap for it with my BB2004, in hindsight I’d get another BB2004 or BB2005, I don’t think I appreciated how good they were at the time.

My Yamaha’s have seen off far more fashionable and desirable basses, but I guess I just like the way they sound and feel.

• Like 3