Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

11 minutes ago, Maude said:

@gobasserk could you possibly measure from the 12th fret to the top edge of D/G half of the pickup on your shiny red and gold dream machine please.

Just so I can best decide where to route my 424.

Thanks 🙂👍

Could you post a pic with a mark of the end position of the measuring you asked for?... "top edge of D/G half of the pick up..."  I am not sure what you mean- due to my Engish, not yours 😉  (top edge OR half of the pick up?) 

Edited by gobasserk

12 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

Could you post a pic with a mark of the end position of the measuring you asked for?... "top edge of D/G half of the pick up..."  I am not sure what you mean- due to my Engish, not yours 😉  (top edge OR half of the pick up?) 

I'll do it tomorrow. 👍

• Like 1

21 hours ago, gobasserk said:

It probably was my explanation that was confusing. 

This is what I mean, the measurement between the two white lines, to the edge of the pickup rather than the pickup ring. Hopefully it'll make more sense now. 

It doesn't have to be too precise. 

Thanks in advance. 

iVr0Fh5.jpg

• Like 2

Here we go...measuring with a wooden folding rule (cm) the data is...

exactly 26,5 cm with the folding rule positioned on top of the fret and 26,3cm positioned in front of the fret. 

I hope you can work with that ?!

Edited by gobasserk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I think you will find it`s also on here for a lower price :D

But it is on hold for a rather dodgy worded Gumtree reply. Apparently he wants it for his mum "for my best price and delivery" and all I need to do is e mail him at some G mail account. No it doesn`t sound in the least bit dodgy :ph34r:

Edited by jezzaboy
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MoJo said:

In Northern Ireland……damn

1 hour ago, gobasserk said:

Why damn? It is without customs isn't it?

Yup that's right - there should be NO Customs duties or VAT on goods travelling from NI <--> GB in either direction. Only exception is GB --> NI --> EU i.e. goods being routed from GB to EU via NI.

Steve @Steve Browning is our expert on this stuff and will correct me if I have got this wrong, I'm sure.

Obviously still the issue of transport and courier costs to deal with.

Quick question for those of you that have worked your way through numerous different BBs, I've been fighting the urge to get a friend for my 1100s and a 1600 has shown up on my radar at a reasonable price, I was initially thinking along the lines of a 2000 or 3000 but I'm very tempted by the 1600 but the only comparison of 1100s and 1600 essentially said they are the same but the S is active, is that right? I love the neck on mine, are the 2000 or 3000 series similar neck wise to the 1100s?

2 hours ago, gobasserk said:

Correct, because it is an export from your side into the foreign country independent customs zone of the EU (which includes non-EU members such as Turkey). Did I mention before that Brexit is ....... ? 😛 

Fixed! Brexit has happened, it's history and reflects the will of the British people. I get that losers in elections and referendums can sometimes be sore. But did I mention before that democracy beats dictatorship.....? 😁

Now how is your tasty reverse P BB refi coming along?

Edited by Al Krow

Well 'shit just got real', as they say. 

I've just dug out my old router and marked the top for surgery. 

CWyOssy.jpg

The whole reversed P is moved towards the neck a tad to still retain bottom end on the EA side and to gain clearance in the scratchplate to the edge. 

The EA side is about 10mm further from the the 12th fret than my Precision and the DG side is about 50mm closer. Hopefully the result will be a slightly more focused bottom end, with a fuller, rounder top end. 

Basically a straight flip of the two pickups but then moved the whole unit about 5mm or so towards the neck. 

I'll leave the 5mm sliver of wood between routes on the DG side to give the pickup ring some support. 

Here goes. 🙈

• Like 4