Jump to content

The Yamaha BB mega-thread


Al Krow

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Misdee said:

Just had a read, very interesting. I have  had countless similar disappointments when it comes to trying acclaimed basses and being underwhelmed.

I too am unlikely to be playing the bass through two amps.  At the moment I am only playing at home , mainly through headphones. The best I could manage is to play it through two pairs of headphones, but I've only got one pair of ears. Maybe I could email Billy and ask him what I should do. 😄

Definitely worth getting your hands on a high end bass and trying out before taking the plunge (in fact any bass if you can, although the downside risk is clearly going to be a lot less with the more budget basses). Obviously how I found the BS Attitude was my own take on that particular model and plenty of others may have had the opposite reaction.

For the record, and as you will likely already have gathered (!) I was totally NOT underwhelmed by the BB NE2 which I managed to get hold of, used, a couple of months after that particular trip to the Yammy store; and I've since happily resisted several unsolicited offers to take it off my hands! 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, the NE2 is a wonderful instrument, a truly high-end bass. I would put it up against any other prestige bass you could care to mention, both in terms of sound and construction. I love the modern-but-gutsy sound of the NE2 ,  but I've got a BB2025 because I prefer passive basses and it's fairly light for a five.

I must really like Yamaha basses, because I normally won't entertain anything less than 19mm spacing  on a five string  bass . 18mm is O.K, and overall I find the BB bridge/nut spacing more comfortable and playable than something like a Stingray 5 string. At least the strings don't keep slipping off the edge of the fingerboard. 

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, marleaux62 said:

I had exactly the same problem I had a 58 P bass but the 44mm nut was just that bit to wide for me.

 

43D339F6-2264-4AAD-9E2E-2A7945BB1B3F.jpeg

Yes, a B-Neck  1 5/8 inch is the most I can handle in terms of width on a four string  bass. 

Edited by Misdee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My turn for a mini thread de-rail! 

I'm trying to work out the year of manufacture for a Yammy SLB-200 (definitely not a BB - haha!). Serial number is 005390 - any ideas?

I'll drop the Yammy store in London a message too, to see if I can glean anything from them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Misdee said:

I had a G&L with a similarly wide nut width and I just  couldn't warm to it, despite t having an otherwise very comfortable neck profile.  Same with  early 60's P Basses. I'd love to try an Attitude, though. I might be converted!

It’s worth a go - you don’t have to play stereo one of the outputs is mono and then you can blend the woofer and split coil as to you choice, but the choice is there to Bi amp if you so wish.

It certainly isn’t a cumbersome neck, BS plays pretty fast, and the counter sunk bridge as well as the great construction do get you to go super low on the action if that’s your thing - it’s a real gem

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also the G&L is a weird one and it depends which custom model neck you had as they did so many options.

If it was the #7 or 6 neck then that was wide and flat, b it bun a different way and not as playable, but quick in its own way - their standard was a #12 which is not great, neither P nor J and I have also played a #8 which is phenomenal.

A couple of the best necks I have played have had 44mm nuts but felt like they were 4mm they were so well sculpted - don’t compare the G&L to the Yammy on numbers - the Yammy will slay it on feel - but it may or may not be right for you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, matbard said:

Santa came yesterday in Italy with a brand-new BBPH! ☺️

"Wall of shame" on the OP updated. This is fast becoming the single most popular model owned by BCers! Do you have any other Yammy BBs or is this your first? 

Has Mrs Santa allowed you to play it or are you going to have to wait for Thursday at one minute past midnight? 😁

Edited by Al Krow
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

 Do you have any other Yammy BBs or is this your first? 

Has Mrs Santa allowed you to play it or are you going to have to wait for Thursday at one minute past midnight? 😁

No, this is my first BB!

And yes, Santa allowed me to play, even because it is a self-present! :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, matbard said:

No, this is my first BB!

And yes, Santa allowed me to play, even because it is a self-present! :D

Well we obviously need 'proof' in the form of some pics 😁

How are you liking it so far and how does it stack up against your other basses?

I'm loving the fact that several have gone straight in with some of the top end models as your first taste of Yammy BBs!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm awaiting some nut slot files and I'll be doing a little bit of fine tuning to my BBPH. It's not unusual for mass produced basses but the nut slots are slightly shallow, particularly on the E and A strings. I need much more pressure to fret the first fret than I should. Just a wee bit of filing and I'll take it VERY slowly.

I said in my initial review that the fret ends weren't sharp and they aren't as in cut your fingers sharp but they do feel rough edged to the extent that I notice when playing. So I'll do that at the same time. I've already got a file for this.

I've been playing my BBPH exclusively since I bought it and a couple of days back I picked up my modified 2008 MIM Jazz. I love this bass which, after owning well over 100 basses is why I have it. I used it with the same amp settings and it sounded lacklustre and lo-fi. That's with identical strings. The notes seems damped, quickly fading. I then went back to the BBPH and hi-fi and sustain was restored. I did a double check, it was in passive with the tone rolled half off. Such is the nature of the BBPH.

Peter

 

Edited by GreeneKing
Spelling
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, GreeneKing said:

I'm awaiting some nut slot files and I'll be doing a little bit of fine tuning to my BBPH. It's not unusual for mass produced basses but the nut slots are slightly shallow, particularly on the E and A strings. I need much more pressure to fret the first fret than I should. Just a wee bit of filing and I'll take it VERY slowly.

I said in my initial review that the fret ends weren't sharp and they aren't as in cut your fingers sharp but they do feel rough edged to the extent that I notice when playing. So I'll do that at the same time. I've already got a file for this.

I've been playing my BBPH exclusively since I bought it and a couple of days back I picked up my modified 2008 MIM Jazz. I love this bass which, after owning well over 100 basses is why I have it. I used it with the same amp settings and it sounded lacklustre and lo-fi. That's with identical strings. The notes seems damped, quickly fading. I then went back to the BBPH and hi-fi and sustain was restored. I did a double check, it was in passive with the tone rolled half off. Such is the nature of the BBPH.

Peter

 

For some reason-I know not why- the Japanese Yamaha workshop cut the nut slots on the shallow side ie the relief at the nut is higher than a lot of other basses. I have seen it on so many basses from them that I think they do it on purpose. The funny thing is that the basses seem to play well, regardless. A Fender with those nut slot heights would feel very stiff by comparison. 

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Misdee said:

For some reason-I know not why- the Japanese Yamaha workshop cut the nut slots on the shallow side ie the relief at the nut is higher than a lot of other basses. I have seen it on so many basses from them that I think they do it on purpose. The funny thing is that the basses seem to play well, regardless. A Fender with those nut slot heights would feel very stiff by comparison. 

My P34 was like that. Noticeable higher at the nut compared to my other basses. Not unplayable in the slightest, and only really noticeable because my Fender is very low, but now you mention about stiffness i did think the same when i had mine. It was just never an issue as far as playability went....at least, i didnt consciously  think so. 

Edited by dave_bass5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

The Just a Nut is pretty neat. It would be an upgrade to most nuts. 

 

8 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Doubt it. Whats wrong with most nuts (😂)?

Sounds a bit like Dingwall PR 😬


 

There’s a tech here in Edinburgh who hates the Just a nut. I recall him bemoaning them at length when I had a corvette in getting a once over before a recording session with an old band.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Haha, most things on most basses are just fine!

And of course there are refinements here and there eg lighter tuners, John East Retro preamps, less bland / sterile pups. Fortunately very few folk moan about the Yammy preamp or pups! 

Similarly, not all nuts are the same either. Yammy provide a better quality nut on their 1024/5 than they do on their 424/5 for example. The nut on my Ken Smith is superb with individual saddles cast in the metal. 

Do check out the brass Warwick Just a Nut III - that ability to raise and lower string height at the nut as well as the bridge is a very neat feature. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, krispn said:

 


 

There’s a tech here in Edinburgh who hates the Just a nut. I recall him bemoaning them at length when I had a corvette in getting a once over before a recording session with an old band.  

There are many good ideas ,on paper, out there, but the nut is one of the things that doesnt need re inventing if its working perfectly fine already. 

I know some brands have unique parts on them, but i don’t buy in to all that expensive upgrade stuff is better if the basic versions are working as they should. 

Must admit ive never heard of the just a nut before though. Ill go and have a look. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, krispn said:

There’s a tech here in Edinburgh who hates the Just a nut. I recall him bemoaning them at length when I had a corvette in getting a once over before a recording session with an old band.  

I always liked the idea of being able to totally fine tune the set up. I’ve only had one bass with one of these, and I set it once and left it. So I suppose if you stick to the same strings etc, a decent setup by a pro luthier would be a more sensible option than hacking the old nut out...

they are available in appropriate colour/size now though...

C21F0D8F-8AEC-4D58-ABA1-93C5D810A3FB.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

 

Do check out the brass Warwick Just a Nut III - that ability to raise and lower string height at the nut as well as the bridge is a very neat feature. 

Ah Brass. No thanks. I don’t like brass nuts. I guess its a nice feature if you are struggling with action at the nut end though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I always liked the idea of being able to totally fine tune the set up. I’ve only had one bass with one of these, and I set it once and left it. So I suppose if you stick to the same strings etc, a decent setup by a pro luthier would be a more sensible option than hacking the old nut out...

they are available in appropriate colour/size now though...

C21F0D8F-8AEC-4D58-ABA1-93C5D810A3FB.png

We’ll ignore the one star review - it was likely from that tech in Edinburgh 😀But I’d agree sometimes the money spent on a good set up is a better option. Imagine buying the just a nut and the grooves still not being the correct width. 

Edited by krispn
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nut sure if the just a nut is any better or not (it’s quite expensive) and probably still needs sanding to fit in and I am not a fan of a bone/ivory nut - good simple graphtec TUSQ nut, take time on your set up and file judiciously - and then it’s done and all you need.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...