Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

I think the consensus is that the Fender P solo'd is perhaps the more loved solo P sound, but what the Yammys bring to the party tonally is an excellent J pup and the combination P+J is killer.

Plus the ability to dial the tone right off means you can go from rock to Motown effortlessly.

Then add in Yammy's build quality and value for money and I guess you can see how it's managed to get such a loyal following.

See if you can get your hands on (or a loan of) a decent condition used 1024, 434 or 734A - any of these will give you a very good feel for what the modern BB series is about.

I think there were a few more "MA" models -  @gobasserk has had them all from what I can tell! 

And then of course the BB NE2 - which isn't really a "proper" BB in my books! (see my post yesterday / Page 177 showing design similarities to my Spector Euro LX5). It is however a truly wonderful bass! 

15 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

image.jpeg.6912af82d0836aa526aa7b3db0c40219.jpeg

this was a modified 80’s bass rather than the BB2024/1024x - but I dare say it had a lot to do with how those basses turned out.

I was going to say that the pickguard shape behind the pups is more P bass influenced than the BB2024/1024x 

9 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I was going to say that the pickguard shape behind the pups is more P bass influenced than the BB2024/1024x 

Tony Kanal was one of the main contributors to the development of the BB2024 etc.

Also, I didn’t realise he was actually originally from London.

Dammit - just seen Hooky's old ad for his BB1200 which was on for £500. In hindsight should have bitten his hand off and had it finished a la Tony 'kin'ell!

Yamaha BB 1200 * sold* - Basses For Sale - Basschat

Hmmm. I wonder if the new owner might be tempted to part with it?

There's one on in the FS with a similar finish, but in better nick. On for £1,200 which is sadly well outside my budget, and seemingly everyone else's!

13 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Actually, joshing aside, gonna be interesting if these do come for sale used in 6 months or so time. My guess is they won't as the folks buying them seem to be a pretty discerning lot. And if they do come up I suspect they will get snapped up like hot cakes. 

You're really not helping you know! 😁

I'm fighting not buying one of these as I'm in the middle of doing some major work on the house and can't really justify another bass. 

Part of me was hoping there'd be a lively second hand market in time, like the Flea jazz, but I fear you might be right and these will mainly be keepers. 

The other thought is that as there's a lot of interest and very limited numbers, then there might be a second run in a few months with an inflated price tag. 

If I stick one on a 0% card for 12 months, I won't really know I've bought one, will I? 🤔 😄

Edited by Maude
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

He only signed 5 at PMT in Salford 

That reminds me of something: As Peter Hook is from Salford and still seems to be proud of the place (See "Salford rules" in the video below), shouldn't it then say "Salford, England" on the back of the headstock instead of "Manchester, England"? 😉

6 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

That reminds me of something: As Peter Hook is from Salford and still seems to be proud of the place (See "Salford rules" in the video below), shouldn't it then say "Salford, England" on the back of the headstock instead of "Manchester, England"? 😉

Yeah. I thought that too...

• Like 1