Al Krow

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

That's because I am even older than that bass and a fan of  the org. BB  - no Attitude comes close to Billy's pink BB 😉  And I know not many will share this opinion !  

• Like 1

So now it's ready.  Gold speed domes fitted. Put 40-95 strings on it. Great tone I can tell! 

BBg9k.jpeg

• Like 3

On 18/01/2020 at 09:09, gobasserk said:

That's because I am even older than that bass and a fan of  the org. BB  - no Attitude comes close to Billy's pink BB 😉  And I know not many will share this opinion !  

I loved that bass. It was a bit of test rig for the Attitude bass that followed and one of the reasons I now own a pink bass. 

On 18/01/2020 at 08:57, gobasserk said:

Not my gusto. There are enough Fenders around, why should I want the bass to look like one? But one may think different! 

Because these have a J pickup that’s properly balanced with the P 😊

• Like 1

I have to say I, I like the active circuit. New experience and I declare it usefull 😛 

2 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

I have to say I, I like the active circuit. New experience and I declare it usefull 😛 

Welcome to the dark side 😁

18 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Welcome to the dark side 😁

I only use maybe two very similar sittings of the possible ones but once I got "my tone" it sounded cool for me at the rehearsal yesterday. 

Edited by gobasserk

5 hours ago, gobasserk said:

I've gone the opposite way; after years of playing active basses I've recently decided I prefer passive! Lovely basses BTW! 

Well I love the passive tone of the BBs! But within the band the active basses cut through better - for my ears. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, gobasserk said:

Well I love the passive tone of the BBs! But within the band the active basses cut through better - for my ears. 

The ability to boost the mids is going to be key to cutting through.

I have to admit to loving the ability to adjust EQ on my bass on the fly should I need to. On some of my basses eg Ibanez I actually prefer the active bass tone to the "duller" passive setting. Some of my basses are purely active and frankly superb tonally (eg Spector Euro LX). 

But can't you potentially get the best of both worlds by dealing with the EQ / mid boost on your amp and combining with the more organic tone of a passive bass, which on a Yammy BB is just great, if that's what you prefer?

Edited by Al Krow

The BB passive sound is just perfect for me!  For my ears, there is a difference between an eq section in the bass and on my amp.  Can't say  why . Maybe it is because a changed setting on the amp has to match the other settings on it. And it is way easier to change things directly on the bass while playing instead of changing settings while standing 2 cm away from the speakers. 
My active bass has active EMG humbuckers and only a treble blend like a passive bass. It sounds kind of dead when played solo without band. But with band it just moves some serious air.... 

Edited by gobasserk

9 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

And it is way easier to change things directly on the bass while playing instead of changing settings while standing 2 cm away from the speakers. 

^^ This! 

13 hours ago, gobasserk said:

This is some seconds of the 614. Played through a 25 watts Hartke combo, mobile phone recording lying on the floor in front of the amp, fingerstyle. 

BB614 use headphone

What make is the mobile, I want one of those !    

What do you guys think of the Yamaha RBX5A2 5-String? Asking for a mate who has seen one in the Yamaha shop for £640. 

4 hours ago, whamni said:

What make is the mobile, I want one of those !    

A Samsung S9, nothing fancy

3 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

What do you guys think of the Yamaha RBX5A2 5-String? Asking for a mate who has seen one in the Yamaha shop for £640. 

That’s quite expensive. They go for £250-£399 on ebay

4 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

That’s quite expensive. They go for £250-£399 on ebay

Yeah, turns out he just sent me the store link to show me the bass. He has seen one on eBay for £390 in mint condition, inc delivery. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Yeah, turns out he just sent me the store link to show me the bass. He has seen one on eBay for £390 in mint condition, inc delivery. 

I keep on meaning to pick a white 4 up, love the aesthetic 

• Like 1

Sick at home...  used the time to compare my BBs . All basses played over the 25watts Hartke combo and with the same preamp sound.
A little unfair...only the 414 and 614 have fresh strings..the difference is obvious.. 1000MA and 3000MA have old(!) strings. 
Both pickups, eq 100% . BB614 no boost, everything below zero-position. Fingerstyle.  Mobile in front of combo on the floor. Sick virus timing 😛 

Headphones recommended !!

Edited by gobasserk
  • Like 3