Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

It appears I might have bought a lemon with this 415 :(

High action, hella buzzing on the top end and no play at all in the truss rod....and that’s from a guitar tech.

£200 in the hole....any ideas? Will someone likely buy a fully loaded body? Would be nice to get a little back on it!

Si

• Sad 1

Awww, really sorry to hear that! I guess, not being as experienced as many on this forum, one of my biggest fears about older basses is whether they will still be fit for purpose and being able to spot the issues in time. Probably why I have a relatively new bass collection i.e. none currently over a decade old. 

No chance of returning to seller I presume? If anyone can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear it will be AndyT, I suspect. 

I don’t see that i’ll get anything out of the seller, it was being sold as seen, I saw that it needed a hefty setup in person, and still purchased it. He’s hardly going to hand me back the cash and be stuck with it.

Caveat emptor innit.

Si

53 minutes ago, Sibob said:

I don’t see that i’ll get anything out of the seller, it was being sold as seen, I saw that it needed a hefty setup in person, and still purchased it. He’s hardly going to hand me back the cash and be stuck with it.

Caveat emptor innit.

Si

Status mm5 neck. Go!

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

In fairness get some clever chap like @Andyjr1515 to steam the board off and replace the truss rod...

I feel for a £200 bass, it’s not really worth the effort unfortunately. Plus it doesn’t sound like it’s the truss rod, the neck is the shape/condition it is....the truss rod is working fine, just can’t effect the wood any further.

Si

11 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I know who got it. It wasn’t me...

Or me. I nearly went for it but came to my senses. I'm happy with the 425, the 414 wouldn't get played

On 20/08/2019 at 22:09, Sibob said:

It appears I might have bought a lemon with this 415 :(

High action, hella buzzing on the top end and no play at all in the truss rod....and that’s from a guitar tech.

£200 in the hole....any ideas? Will someone likely buy a fully loaded body? Would be nice to get a little back on it!

Si

Save me looking back through the thread @Sibob, what colour is the 415?

1 minute ago, Sibob said:

IMG_1134.thumb.JPG.4c9fadddb61be5797f5c4b66462ce464.JPG

Si

@SibobIf the BB425 neck will fit the BB415 body, could be an interesting and unique hybrid. Please PM me with the width of the neck at the heel and how much you would be prepared to take for it, thanks

14 minutes ago, MoJo said:

@SibobIf the BB425 neck will fit the BB415 body, could be an interesting and unique hybrid. Please PM me with the width of the neck at the heel and how much you would be prepared to take for it, thanks

Will do, i’ll take it off later and have a measure......the bass that is.

Si

• Haha 1

Love the orange finish on the 414/415s!

Rather annoyingly a 414 came up on the Facebook Marketplace a couple of weeks ago - fairly local, looked in good condition for £200. Needless to say, being the procrastinating type, I snoozed and I ...err... loozed.

I should have nabbed it as I'm still thinking of getting my 614 converted to passive but would probably need to pay a tech so a 414 would effectively be the same thing.

Guest Corto14

Odd question:  I tend to sweat a lot so that with glossy bodies the forearm attaches to the body; a satin body could be better in this sense? Which ones do you prefer? Pros & Cons
I'm temped to take the satin black bb735a, but I'm also concern about its "longevity" vs a glossy finish

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Corto14 said:

Odd question:  I tend to sweat a lot so that with glossy bodies the forearm attaches to the body; a satin body could be better in this sense? Which ones do you prefer? Pros & Cons
I'm temped to take the satin black bb735a, but I'm also concern about its "longevity" vs a glossy finish

Thanks

A satin finish will always be prone to more visible wear than a gloss finish. But on a practicality level, if gloss finishes are uncomfortable for you when playing then the decision is surely a no-brainer? Go for the satin black BB735a.

To add some info, matte finishes tend to wear in a way which slowly turns them glossy over time. This can actually end up looking pretty nice IMO with the edges and contours of the body developing a nice sheen while the flat surfaces retain more or their original matte look. Personally I really like the effect but I’m sure it isn’t for everyone.

8 minutes ago, Corto14 said:

Thanks

You have a 734 in your sig?

Guest Corto14
5 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

A satin finish will always be prone to more visible wear than a gloss finish. But on a practicality level, if gloss finishes are uncomfortable for you when playing then the decision is surely a no-brainer? Go for the satin black BB735a.

Thanks for the reply

I'm "sick" about cleaning things, especially reflective surfaces (I pass a cloth over the phone every time I use it, I know it's very worrying) so seeing even the fingerprints makes me nervous. 

I am also doubtful about the passage from 4 to 5 strings; I'd really like to have the fifth string, especially because I'm just starting out and therefore relatively fresh in everything concerning the bass, but I'm afraid that it's even more difficult as a self-taught person (all books and videos are related to the 4 strings)

1 minute ago, Corto14 said:

Thanks for the reply

I'm "sick" about cleaning things, especially reflective surfaces (I pass a cloth over the phone every time I use it, I know it's very worrying) so seeing even the fingerprints makes me nervous. 

I am also doubtful about the passage from 4 to 5 strings; I'd really like to have the fifth string, especially because I'm just starting out and therefore relatively fresh in everything concerning the bass, but I'm afraid that it's even more difficult as a self-taught person (all books and videos are related to the 4 strings)

I’d get a white gloss finish. Very forgiving, and I’m not just saying that because I have one for sale! 

• Like 1