Jump to content
Al Krow

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Recommended Posts

On 16/08/2019 at 07:58, Al Krow said:

Somehow completely missed this! What is it about the 425 that makes us get sellers regret as soon we have let the thing go? Have to confess exactly the same happened to me with my first BB 425, which is now being put to good use by @moley6knipe and my second which is being put to equally good use by @dave_bass5! I've managed to avoid getting a third 425 so far...

Pic ?? 😊

From Saturday’s dep gig

AE8556D4-00A3-46FC-B642-A68ACA5636F3.thumb.jpeg.f952ff772ea3f05d340153a6141cbf7a.jpeg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im using my 425 a bit more at home at the moment. I can see me getting rid of the P34 if im not careful 😞

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The BB 425 has one BIG advantage over your P34 Dave...

If you're not careful, it won't just be the P34 that is going to be for the chop! 

 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MoJo nice! We do seem to like our white BB 425s although Dave's black one is pretty tasty too! 😎 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

The BB 425 has one BIG advantage over your P34 Dave...

If you're not careful, it won't just be the P34 that is going to be for the chop! 

 😁

Haha, my cover story is holding out so far.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took the 425 to rehearsal last Sunday, and again my conclusion is:

425 + GK + Barefaced = stick a fork in me, I’m done.

I love this bass. It’s getting treated to Hipshot Ultralights but apart from that, it’s a belter!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears I might have bought a lemon with this 415 :(

High action, hella buzzing on the top end and no play at all in the truss rod....and that’s from a guitar tech.

£200 in the hole....any ideas? Will someone likely buy a fully loaded body? Would be nice to get a little back on it!

Si

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awww, really sorry to hear that! I guess, not being as experienced as many on this forum, one of my biggest fears about older basses is whether they will still be fit for purpose and being able to spot the issues in time. Probably why I have a relatively new bass collection i.e. none currently over a decade old. 

No chance of returning to seller I presume? If anyone can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear it will be AndyT, I suspect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t see that i’ll get anything out of the seller, it was being sold as seen, I saw that it needed a hefty setup in person, and still purchased it. He’s hardly going to hand me back the cash and be stuck with it.

Caveat emptor innit.

Si

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Sibob said:

I don’t see that i’ll get anything out of the seller, it was being sold as seen, I saw that it needed a hefty setup in person, and still purchased it. He’s hardly going to hand me back the cash and be stuck with it.

Caveat emptor innit.

Si

Status mm5 neck. Go!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

In fairness get some clever chap like @Andyjr1515 to steam the board off and replace the truss rod...

I feel for a £200 bass, it’s not really worth the effort unfortunately. Plus it doesn’t sound like it’s the truss rod, the neck is the shape/condition it is....the truss rod is working fine, just can’t effect the wood any further.

Si

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So who got the eBay 414? :D

I had a cheeky bid, but super low, was only 20mins away from me, so why not lol.

Si

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a go, it went for about £136 ish n the end. I needed a nice orange BB to complete my Yamaha wall, so didn't want to go too mad as I'm never going to play it.

I think someone got a bargain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I know who got it. It wasn’t me...

Or me. I nearly went for it but came to my senses. I'm happy with the 425, the 414 wouldn't get played

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/08/2019 at 22:09, Sibob said:

It appears I might have bought a lemon with this 415 :(

High action, hella buzzing on the top end and no play at all in the truss rod....and that’s from a guitar tech.

£200 in the hole....any ideas? Will someone likely buy a fully loaded body? Would be nice to get a little back on it!

Si

Save me looking back through the thread @Sibob, what colour is the 415?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MoJo said:

Save me looking back through the thread @Sibob, what colour is the 415?

IMG_1134.thumb.JPG.4c9fadddb61be5797f5c4b66462ce464.JPG

 

Si

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sibob said:

IMG_1134.thumb.JPG.4c9fadddb61be5797f5c4b66462ce464.JPG

 

Si

@SibobIf the BB425 neck will fit the BB415 body, could be an interesting and unique hybrid. Please PM me with the width of the neck at the heel and how much you would be prepared to take for it, thanks

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MoJo said:

@SibobIf the BB425 neck will fit the BB415 body, could be an interesting and unique hybrid. Please PM me with the width of the neck at the heel and how much you would be prepared to take for it, thanks

Will do, i’ll take it off later and have a measure......the bass that is.

Si

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sibob said:

Will do, i’ll take it off later and have a measure......the bass that is.

Si

Great, thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the orange finish on the 414/415s!

Rather annoyingly a 414 came up on the Facebook Marketplace a couple of weeks ago - fairly local, looked in good condition for £200. Needless to say, being the procrastinating type, I snoozed and I ...err... loozed.

I should have nabbed it as I'm still thinking of getting my 614 converted to passive but would probably need to pay a tech so a 414 would effectively be the same thing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...