Jump to content
Left leaderboard
Al Krow

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Be great to see a pic of your 2024s if you're up for sharing that with us?

In the interest of clarity, I've got a 2024X and a 2024. The major difference apart from the obvious  cosmetic ones, is that the 2024 is over 1/2 lb lighter in weight. As a relatively old bloke from the pre-computer age, I am not very au fait with digital technology, but I will try post a picture when I can get one of my kids to help me.

To be honest with you, I haven't played any of the 10 Series basses so I can't comment on the relative merits in relation to the 20 Series, but I am perfectly willing to believe that the 10 Series offers a great deal of the same qualities for a fraction of the price.

What I can say with conviction is that the 20 Series  compares very favourably with much more expensive high-end "boutique" basses I own  and have had in the past. For example, I've got a USA-made Lakland PJ with a Jazz-width neck that is a lovely bass, but it has a far more conventional Fender-style tone and overall vibe .These Yamahas,  in contrast, sound effortlessly huge and surprisingly un-Fenderish considering that, at face value they are share many similarities in construction. The Lakland has essentially the same tone as the PJ 5 string that Paul Turner is playing in the video Funkydario  posted .In comparison, these Yamahas have  a unique tone that you really wouldn't want to change. There are so many basses on the market that sound like Fenders but the Yamahas are refreshingly different.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, funkydario said:

Another weight question..

Some of you replace the tuners with lightweight tuners like Hipshot ultralite ? ..if yes which model ? Thank you

Start to thinking to get a nother 1025 or maybe a cheaper 425 and turn it to fretless...I really start to dig these basses !!

I bought a set of the licensed (i.e. made in China rather than USA) 1/2" Hipshot Ultralites from Bass Direct. Beware that the USA ones are reversible but the licensed ones aren't, so you need to order 4x bass side and 1x treble side. I've yet to fit them however, but there was a recent thread on here where someone confirmed they can be fitted without drilling holes however the tuners will be at a slight angle - so new holes will need to be drilled if you want them dead straight as they should be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if that was someone else's experience or mis-remembered from mine?  I fitted both licensed and USA Hipshot lightweights to my BB425 (Yes, I know, why twice? :) ) and licensed ones to a BB5000.  Both were the 1/2" size.  Both are the same size and neither lined up with a hole from the old tuner.  Nearly, but not quite.  Without going to the bother of plugging, glueing and re-drilling, I just made new holes far enough away not to crumble into the existing ones - hence the tuners now being at a rakish angle but work perfectly like this.  The shaft itself does not fit tightly inside the headstock holes but once the strings are under tension it doesn't really make any difference as it kind of sorts itself out.  Well worth it for the weight saving, I would say.  Also the balance on the strap is much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paul S said:

I don't know if that was someone else's experience or mis-remembered from mine?  I fitted both licensed and USA Hipshot lightweights to my BB425 (Yes, I know, why twice? :) ) and licensed ones to a BB5000.  Both were the 1/2" size.  Both are the same size and neither lined up with a hole from the old tuner.  Nearly, but not quite.  Without going to the bother of plugging, glueing and re-drilling, I just made new holes far enough away not to crumble into the existing ones - hence the tuners now being at a rakish angle but work perfectly like this.  The shaft itself does not fit tightly inside the headstock holes but once the strings are under tension it doesn't really make any difference as it kind of sorts itself out.  Well worth it for the weight saving, I would say.  Also the balance on the strap is much better.

Yeah it was probably your post that I misread! I don't know if the tuners from the 425 are exactly the same as the 1025X, but I did see one post on Talkbass where someone claimed their Ultralights fitted perfectly into the existing hole, so we'll see how much luck I have...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Yeah it was probably your post that I misread! I don't know if the tuners from the 425 are exactly the same as the 1025X, but I did see one post on Talkbass where someone claimed their Ultralights fitted perfectly into the existing hole, so we'll see how much luck I have...

Well..on the new line yamaha put some lightweight tuners...will they fit the old series..like mine 1025 ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My BB2024X arrived B| I was worried for a short while that it'd be just the same as my 1024x ....and I'd be a few (!) quid poorer....but the more I've played it (only had it a few hours) the more the differences really show. First thing was the weight, noticeably lighter than the 1024x. The neck on 2024x is slicker with slightly less clunky dimensions (I've not measured! Just my initial feel), the neck near the heel is finished much more smoothly meaning access higher up is a lot easier, quite noticeable. Finish much much nicer (to be expected though given price difference). Frets are also not as 'tall' which certainly adds to the playability. 

Sound-wise, there isn't a lot in it as has probably been expressed elsewhere, and they are currently wearing different strings so not an accurate comparison, but the 2024 seems a bit more articulate and even across the board....but maybe only the player can tell! 

Overall, couldn't be happier! Merry xmas to me xD

IMG_6009.JPG

Edited by chrisgriff
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great!

Do the 2024x and 1024x have the same pups and EQ? 

What about the woods used in the two models?

Is the difference in price down entirely to the quality of the finish and the MIJ vs made in Indonesia?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, chrisgriff said:

My BB2024X arrived B| I was worried for a short while that it'd be just the same as my 1024x ....and I'd be a few (!) quid poorer....but the more I've played it (only had it a few hours) the more the differences really show. First thing was the weight, noticeably lighter than the 1024x. The neck on 2024x is slicker with slightly less clunky dimensions (I've not measured! Just my initial feel), the neck near the heel is finished much more smoothly meaning access higher up is a lot easier, quite noticeable. Finish much much nicer (to be expected though given price difference). Frets are also not as 'tall' which certainly adds to the playability. 

Sound-wise, there isn't a lot in it as has probably been expressed elsewhere, and they are currently wearing different strings so not an accurate comparison, but the 2024 seems a bit more articulate and even across the board....but maybe only the player can tell! 

Overall, couldn't be happier! Merry xmas to me xD

IMG_6009.JPG

Hmmm, interesting. The chunky neck joint and associated trouble accessing higher notes was one of the only things that bugged me with my old 1025x. Good to know the 20’s are sleeker in that department!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same pickups and hardware, the darker stripes in the neck are mahogany on the 2024X vs something else on the 1024X. Body is meant to be slightly more contoured on the Japanese model, along with the heat and vibration treatments. The neck is nicer overall, looks like a rubbed oil finish and more attention paid to rolled fingerboard edges etc. Otherwise not much between them, if you're not 100% sold on whether it would be a keeper and are just shopping around trying various basses I would just go for the 1024/1025 and then consider the pro model if you fall in love with it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Same pickups and hardware, the darker stripes in the neck are mahogany on the 2024X vs something else on the 1024X. Body is meant to be slightly more contoured on the Japanese model, along with the heat and vibration treatments. The neck is nicer overall, looks like a rubbed oil finish and more attention paid to rolled fingerboard edges etc. Otherwise not much between them, if you're not 100% sold on whether it would be a keeper and are just shopping around trying various basses I would just go for the 1024/1025 and then consider the pro model if you fall in love with it!

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Looks great!

Do the 2024x and 1024x have the same pups and EQ? 

What about the woods used in the two models?

Is the difference in price down entirely to the quality of the finish and the MIJ vs made in Indonesia?

Also I think the playability is better for MIJ version as a result of some of the refinements, and for me it's one of the most important things I consider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2017 at 23:46, chrisgriff said:

My BB2024X arrived B| I was worried for a short while that it'd be just the same as my 1024x ....and I'd be a few (!) quid poorer....but the more I've played it (only had it a few hours) the more the differences really show. First thing was the weight, noticeably lighter than the 1024x. The neck on 2024x is slicker with slightly less clunky dimensions (I've not measured! Just my initial feel), the neck near the heel is finished much more smoothly meaning access higher up is a lot easier, quite noticeable. Finish much much nicer (to be expected though given price difference). Frets are also not as 'tall' which certainly adds to the playability. 

Sound-wise, there isn't a lot in it as has probably been expressed elsewhere, and they are currently wearing different strings so not an accurate comparison, but the 2024 seems a bit more articulate and even across the board....but maybe only the player can tell! 

Overall, couldn't be happier! Merry xmas to me xD

IMG_6009.JPG

Beautiful bass, Chris, exactly the same as mine!

I can honestly say these Yamaha BB's are one of those rare instances in life where the value of something becomes even more apparent  over time. I hope you get as much enjoyment as I do with mine.  

May I ask if you have any impression how the weight of the new P34 compares with the 2024X?  The 2024X's tend to weigh in at about 9 1/2 lbs in my experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks misdee, to be honest I can't give an accurate answer as I played the P34 without a strap, and it's only getting the bb2024x home I've had a chance to assess weight. The 2024x is noticeably lighter than my 1024x though and on some digital kitchen scales (maybe wide errors! It had max weight of 11lbs) the 2024x weighed 9 lb 2 oz while the 1024x weighed 9lb 14oz....as I say though could be large errors in those readings.

But I'd imagine it's entirely possible that the p34 could be lighter still without all that chrome !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The maple core of the P34 could be pretty heavy. I suppose a lot depends on luck!  Less chrome on the P34 but it still has metal knobs and a scratch plate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stumbled into that said Yamaha shop in London today, ended up playing the P34 and the 2024x, both were really good. I liked the neck on the P34 more but the 2024x sounded nicer (albeit on a smallish hartke, and not played in anger).

Anyway, I am not in a position at the moment to be buying such expensive instruments but if you'd like one, the man wanted to sell me the P34 300 quid less than the shop price (which I think was GBP1664 so say GBP1350, and that's with set-up and a hardcase), 3TSB, and a black 2024x for GBP1950 (I think the RRP is around the 3k mark ...). Thought I should put it out there as these seem like good deals for these brand new, if Santa does not get you what you wanted this year, well, here's a way to make it right :)

 

PS. Merry Christmas everyone!

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprised that some stores still seem to have stocks of the old much loved BB1025/x...

Intrigued that the prices ranged from a slightly higher than 'expected' £898 from the Yamaha store in London (I think they were typically going for about £810 before they were 'B stocked' at significantly reduced prices just before the new 735 range came in?) to a really good value for-a-new-bass price of £588 inc case and delivery from Rimmers.

And at that price, found myself unable to resist pulling the trigger...well my one-in-one out NY resolution has lasted all of 5 days then! :) 

 

Edited by Al Krow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I`m surprised that they are still in stock as well. I bought a BB1024 from guitarguitar around May last year and the guy said they had bought up all the remaining UK stock. o.O

 

Mine was £500 including the superb case which was a bit of a bargain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jezzaboy said:

I`m surprised that they are still in stock as well. I bought a BB1024 from guitarguitar around May last year and the guy said they had bought up all the remaining UK stock. o.O

Mine was £500 including the superb case which was a bit of a bargain.

I don't think mine is coming with a fancy case, just a plain old gig bag; so yup you did indeed manage to bag a bargain! 

How are you enjoying yours? Is it managing to hold its own with the rest of your herd?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...