Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

I'd decided a few weeks ago I wanted a dark coffee one. They seem to go for around the £550-£600 mark. 

New they're only £750.

I bought my Jack Casady on interest free finance and the last payment is coming up, so I thought I'd treat myself to a new 734a on the same deal, at £35 a month you barely know you're paying it. 

I prefer a thinner nut width and the 1200s is 44mm where the 734a is 40mm. I have my BBPH to cover the reverse P active BB which has a 40mm nut, do I've decided to leave the 1200s.

As I'm not really paying for the 734a that leaves the gate wide open for a T40 which is a different beast altogether. 

There's logic in there somewhere. 😄😄

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Dean Vincent said:

Yeah I'm not sure how well that matt black copes with fingerprints etc.

Did you consider the BBP34 or were you definitely wanting the pre-amp.

Any matt colour will eventually polish up under use. They look great when new but as soon as the shiny thumbest and forearm area appear I think they look a bit naff. 

I looked at the P34 but wanted active for this one. I just fancied an active for everyday playing, and I love my BBPH so this will compliment it nicely. 

The 1200s is too similar to the BBPH but with less than ideal (for me) nut width, and I'll end up with two active BBs that I want to 'mother' too much. 

• Like 1

Just a quick note: went to see Rival Sons over the weekend, and the bassist used a Mustang and a (probably) P34, and the top rear had worn off the black to what looked suspiciously like a sunburst underneath...it also had (again, what looked like) a Darkstar pickup in the bridge position. In a big hall through a line array PA, they sounded much the same...

• Like 1

My 734a has arrived but Yamaha have let me down. 

The finish is has flowed in a couple of places resulting in thick ridges in it. One bad one along the line where the front of the body transitions into the forearm carve and three not so bad ones one the rear belly cut. 

It would flat and polish out as there's clearly a shed load of lacquer on it but I shouldn't be messing around like that on a reasonably pricey bass. 

I'll contact the shop tomorrow but they're now showing as on order from manufacturer so I might be in for wait. 

😕

• Sad 5

On 05/07/2022 at 22:39, Maude said:

My 734a has arrived but Yamaha have let me down. 

The finish is has flowed in a couple of places resulting in thick ridges in it. One bad one along the line where the front of the body transitions into the forearm carve and three not so bad ones one the rear belly cut. 

It would flat and polish out as there's clearly a shed load of lacquer on it but I shouldn't be messing around like that on a reasonably pricey bass. 

I'll contact the shop tomorrow but they're now showing as on order from manufacturer so I might be in for wait. 

😕

Any news 😭

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Fil1ip said:

Any news 😭

Kind of. 

Firstly I want to say I bought the bass through Merchant City Music in Glasgow, or Guitar.co.uk as they are known online, and they are dealing with the problem perfectly. It's not sorted yet but they're offering plenty of options. 

I hate complaining to a shop like this as I always feel like they probably think I'm trying it on, it's quite the opposite as I'll happily sort any little issues myself but this is quite bad, and I really didn't expect it on a higher end Yamaha. They're usually bang on. 

I sent the seller some pictures and videos of the finish but it's really hard to show a problem in clearcoat, the camera either focuses on the woodgrain or the reflections of the surroundings. 

This is the email I got back. 

Hi,

I have spoken to Yamaha today to ask for an opinion and some assistance with this and am just awaiting a reply. The bass in this finish is out of stock at the moment and it looks as though the next available stock is due around beginning of September at the earliest, so seeking a replacement could be a little bit of a wait, but it is something we could make arrangements for. The best alternative we have in stock is the Black version. We can of course collect the bass and cancel down the order within the first 14 days if that seems to be the best thing to do.

As the issues do not affect the functioning of the bass itself though, do you think if there were any scope for a discount to compensate that it would help in keeping hold of the bass as is?

Thanks,
Paul

I can't ask for more than that! 

So not sorted yet, but it will be one way or another. 

🙂👍

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Maude said:

Kind of. 

Firstly I want to say I bought the bass through Merchant City Music in Glasgow, or Guitar.co.uk as they are known online, and they are dealing with the problem perfectly. It's not sorted yet but they're offering plenty of options. 

I hate complaining to a shop like this as I always feel like they probably think I'm trying it on, it's quite the opposite as I'll happily sort any little issues myself but this is quite bad, and I really didn't expect it on a higher end Yamaha. They're usually bang on. 

I sent the seller some pictures and videos of the finish but it's really hard to show a problem in clearcoat, the camera either focuses on the woodgrain or the reflections of the surroundings. 

This is the email I got back. 

Hi,

I have spoken to Yamaha today to ask for an opinion and some assistance with this and am just awaiting a reply. The bass in this finish is out of stock at the moment and it looks as though the next available stock is due around beginning of September at the earliest, so seeking a replacement could be a little bit of a wait, but it is something we could make arrangements for. The best alternative we have in stock is the Black version. We can of course collect the bass and cancel down the order within the first 14 days if that seems to be the best thing to do.

As the issues do not affect the functioning of the bass itself though, do you think if there were any scope for a discount to compensate that it would help in keeping hold of the bass as is?

Thanks,
Paul

I can't ask for more than that! 

So not sorted yet, but it will be one way or another. 

🙂👍

That’s a really good offer, what’s your thoughts? 

55 minutes ago, Dean Vincent said:

It obviously bothers you and compensation won't resolve the flaws.

But paint is what I do for a living. 😉

It's easily rectified but I shouldn't have to on an £800 bass, especially a Yamaha. 

12 minutes ago, andy67 said:

That’s a really good offer, what’s your thoughts? 

I'm really pleased that they're being good about it. I mean they should be, but some places aren't. 

I don't want black. 

I don't want a refund, as they were the cheapest but price is showing as over £50 dearer. 

I'll see what they offer by way of discount and either go with that and flat and polish the lacquer, or return and wait for a replacement, September will soon come around. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Maude said:

I'm really pleased that they're being good about it. I mean they should be, but some places aren't. 

I don't want black. 

I don't want a refund, as they were the cheapest but price is showing as over £50 dearer. 

I'll see what they offer by way of discount and either go with that and flat and polish the lacquer, or return and wait for a replacement, September will soon come around. 

If you and Merchant City Music (they are cool :D ) can negotiate a suitable compromise then, that is really good.

Edited by andy67
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Maude said:

I don't want black. 

Imagine patiently awaiting a seemingly problem free replacement, only to find that you preferred the original, just for how it felt in your hands.

If I had your skills, I would do the work myself, accept a nice little discount from the shop and get on with playing the bass. Assuming that I was really enjoying the feel of it, that is.