Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

57 minutes ago, mikeycrikey said:

I had the 414, 424x 1024x and the 734a. I know  its hersey to say on the Yamaha forum but I just fell our of love with the big bloated body of the BB. Loved how they played, sounded and their versatility.

Once I saw a photo on myself playing lt live it just looked huge on me and that was the end of my love affair with Yamaha. Don't think the battered face, bald head and bandy legs had any bearing on it.

Bought the 414 back as its just for playing at home. Use a Fender Precision  now or G&L JB2, which is a precision shape for gigs and rehersals.

Yup, it's gotta be all about image and not about how wonderful they sound and feel to play,or their outstanding build quality and great value for money. 

😁

47 minutes ago, mikeycrikey said:

I had the 414, 424x 1024x and the 734a. I know  its hersey to say on the Yamaha forum but I just fell our of love with the big bloated body of the BB. Loved how they played, sounded and their versatility.

Once I saw a photo on myself playing lt live it just looked huge on me and that was the end of my love affair with Yamaha. Don't think the battered face, bald head and bandy legs had any bearing on it.

Bought the 414 back as its just for playing at home. Use a Fender Precision  now or G&L JB2, which is a precision shape for gigs and rehersals.

Fair enough if you yourself don't like how it looked, but don't waste your time worrying about how it looks to other people.  You're a bass player - no-one's going to notice you anyway! ;)

1 minute ago, neepheid said:

Fair enough if you yourself don't like how it looked, but don't waste your time worrying about how it looks to other people.  You're a bass player - no-one's going to notice you anyway! ;)

I stand that far back I'm almost behind the drum kit. Deffo not getting noticed there 

20 hours ago, mikeycrikey said:

I stand that far back I'm almost behind the drum kit. Deffo not getting noticed there 

If you ever manage to get your hands on a BB 2004 that may well tick all the boxes for you in terms of both looks and simply being a great bass. I'm still loving my BB 2005. In fact, it's the only BB currently in my herd. 

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

If you ever manage to get your hands on a BB 2004 that may well tick all the boxes for you in terms of both looks and simply being a great bass. I'm still loving my BB 2005. In fact, it's the only BB currently in my herd. 

I used to have  a BB 604 many years ago and really liked the body shape on that one. May pick another up one day. 

Good folks of BB land, lend me your ears. 

Is the P34 a big leap up from the 734a, and if so in what way?

And has that bloody 1200s in the classifieds gone yet? 

I'm scared to look. 😄

6 minutes ago, Maude said:

Good folks of BB land, lend me your ears. 

Is the P34 a big leap up from the 734a, and if so in what way?

And has that bloody 1200s in the classifieds gone yet? 

I'm scared to look. 😄

I made him an offer on the 1200s but he shot me down, class looking and sorely tempted 🤗 

There's a Peavey T40 in The Bass Gallery, rare colour fretboard combo and absolutely gorgeous, but too much money for me. 

The seller contacted me and, to be fair, offered me a great reduction. But it's still more than I'd like to pay for a T40. But then if prices are creeping up do I just keep it until the prices have caught up. 

Always wanted one, never owned one. 

I'm going to crumble on something soon, I can feel it. 

7 minutes ago, andy67 said:

I recently bought a Spector Euro 4LT VF, I absolutely love it and have no feeling for any other bass for sale. 

Absolutely fantastic no doubt, but I'm just not drawn to the shape. 

I'm so shallow. 

I bet it's lovely though. 😎👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maude said:

There's a Peavey T40 in The Bass Gallery, rare colour fretboard combo and absolutely gorgeous, but too much money for me. 

The seller contacted me and, to be fair, offered me a great reduction. But it's still more than I'd like to pay for a T40. But then if prices are creeping up do I just keep it until the prices have caught up. 

Always wanted one, never owned one. 

I'm going to crumble on something soon, I can feel it. 

I had 2 T40's, one natural and one in sunburst both bought over from the USA and they cost me 350 and 400 just over 3 years ago and sold them on for not much more than I paid, wish now I had kept them as I had a haunch they would go up in price

• Like 1

Were they both fiendishly heavy? 

I don't mind paying out if I knew I'd get it back if I sold again. Just don't want to drop serious money and end up stuck with it or losing lots. 

10 hours ago, Maude said:

I don't mind paying out if I knew I'd get it back if I sold again. Just don't want to drop serious money and end up stuck with it or losing lots. 

There's one local to me for £750, and that's too much for me (I had one at £500 10 years ago which was also too much). I think a lot of the prices around at the moment are prospecting more than actually people thinking they're worth that much.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Maude said:

Very heavy basses, these are for sit down playing unless you go to the Gym regularly 🤪

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, briansbrew said:

Very heavy basses, these are for sit down playing unless you go to the Gym regularly 🤪

Mine old one was 14-15lb - oddly enough balanced well and the weight was fine when playing, fun and enjoyable  to play too. 
weighed twice what my Warwick streamer did 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, andy67 said:

See, if that's worth £800, then this one for a grand isn't out of the way. 

I know we all like different stuff but, to me, this one is way nicer than the maple/maple/black pickguard ones. 

He's owned it from new. 

cKswNeO.jpeg

dMwfELE.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, pete.young said:

What kind of Yamaha BB is a Peavey T40?

Thought not. Please go and start another thread.

It was just a conversation started by discussing the BB1200s for sale on here, and me being torn between the two. Sorry if it's offended you. 

Just say and I'll delete all my posts on the T40, but I'll expect you to ask for all posts about any basses other than BBs to be removed as well. 

Or we can all just chill out. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maude said:

It was just a conversation started by discussing the BB1200s for sale on here, and me being torn between the two. Sorry if it's offended you. 

Just say and I'll delete all my posts on the T40, but I'll expect you to ask for all posts about any basses other than BBs to be removed as well. 

Or we can all just chill out. 🙂

Come on guys, that why its called Basschat 🙄 we chat about basses 

• Like 1