Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

I can't wait that long! 

Once I get these feelings, I've usually got about a week before I cave in. 😁

Edit - If anyone's toying with the idea of selling their coffee burst 734a, in the words of George Michael, I'm your man! 😉

Edited by Maude
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

just a wee update on my Yamaha Superbass 1200s

I took out the pickups that were installed in my first post and installed Yamaha P and bridge pickups that I ordered from a UK company that @AndyTravis recommended to me. Took over 8 weeks to land due to a backlog of orders, anyway they landed 2 weeks ago and I had to get my Luthier friend to make another Scratch-plate to accommodate  the new pickups.

The result was a massive improvement on the what I had installed, hope you like the new look and a proper Yamaha sound..

Pic to follow

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

Saw the Stereophonics live from Cardiff stadium on BBC2 last Saturday, and saw their bass player Richard Jones rocking a lovely black BBP34 the whole time. Looked awesome! 

I think they look really tasty but this has got me thinking... are there any well known players that regularly use the P34/35?

1 hour ago, LeftyJ said:

Saw the Stereophonics live from Cardiff stadium on BBC2 last Saturday, and saw their bass player Richard Jones rocking a lovely black BBP34 the whole time. Looked awesome! 

image.thumb.png.80bfa3b5ee8c80f220cba132a6b6ef9a.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0018lg7/stereophonics-live-in-cardiff-well-keep-a-welcome

Edited by yourfurryfiend

A BBPH has just ended on ebay at £1400.

2 bids 1 bidder, so bid the starting price of £1400 and then put in a higher amount to make sure they didn't get outbid. Obviously happy to pay more than £1400. 

Anyone on here? 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Maude said:

A BBPH has just ended on ebay at £1400.

2 bids 1 bidder, so bid the starting price of £1400 and then put in a higher amount to make sure they didn't get outbid. Obviously happy to pay more than £1400. 

Anyone on here? 

Not me.... really great basses.... I asked Hooky if there would be anymore.... he said yes and the he was working on it with Yamaha  ... unfortunately it won't be this year sadly....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hookys6stringbass said:

Not me.... really great basses.... I asked Hooky if there would be anymore.... he said yes and the he was working on it with Yamaha  ... unfortunately it won't be this year sadly....

Yes I've seen that they're working towards a second run. 

Kind of a shame as it was nice thinking you had something really quite rare, plus the added bonus of it probably only going up in value. 

Don't get me wrong, I bought it to use, not lock away, but it would be a bonus if it had gone up in value if I ever sold it. 

There was also a BB714BS on ebay I was keeping an eye on. 

I ended up having a snooze yesterday afternoon and missed the ending. 

It went for the starting bid of £325. 

I fancied trying one of them. 

1 minute ago, Maude said:

Yes I've seen that they're working towards a second run. 

Kind of a shame as it was nice thinking you had something really quite rare, plus the added bonus of it probably only going up in value. 

Don't get me wrong, I bought it to use, not lock away, but it would be a bonus if it had gone up in value if I ever sold it. 

I'm not bothered by the rarity tbh .... like you I bought it to use it... but I did find it infuriating that the BBPH was rarer than my BB1200S' .... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hookys6stringbass said:

£1400 is ridiculous unless the person doesn't want to actual play the thing and keep it in a vault like a vintage wine or something. 

2 hours ago, EJWW said:

£1400 is ridiculous unless the person doesn't want to actual play the thing and keep it in a vault like a vintage wine or something. 

You don't fancy the one on Reverb for £2250 then? 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can now join this thread as I'm the proud owner of a BB414.

First time Yamaha owner, I was originally after a low-to-mid range Squire/Fender P to mess around on but after spotting this for ~£150 delivered, I pulled the trigger.

Couldn't be happier, neck is nice and slim and it feels great to play. Needs a setup and a clean so will be doing that before properly putting it through its paces. Has some cracks in the lacquer by the pickups but I'm not fussed about that all - in fact I'm dead impressed overall for the notes spent on it.

20220629_135058.jpg

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, dirgefornovember said:

First time Yamaha owner, I was originally after a low-to-mid range Squire/Fender P to mess around on but after spotting this for ~£150 delivered, I pulled the trigger.

Couldn't be happier, neck is nice and slim and it feels great to play. Needs a setup and a clean so will be doing that before properly putting it through its paces. Has some cracks in the lacquer by the pickups but I'm not fussed about that all - in fact I'm dead impressed overall for the notes spent on it.

20220629_135058.jpg

£150 delivered is a great price, well done!  That looks well nice in white with the matching headstock.  I would have been tempted myself but A) I'm aff it and B) when I do return to BB land I want an older model with a reversed P pickup.

Enjoy!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dirgefornovember said:

20220629_135058.jpg

What a bargain!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dirgefornovember said:

20220629_135058.jpg

I've been looking for one for some time. In white. Great purchase!

• Like 1

I just bought my white Yamaha BB414  back after selling. 

Only sold it as I needed the space in the house. Now bought it back and am delighted go have it home. Still have my BB734a which is an awesome bass with considerable upgrades on the BB414, but I just constantly fiddle with the active electronics between every song.

The BB 414 I just plug it in and play

10 minutes ago, mikeycrikey said:

I just bought my white Yamaha BB414  back after selling. 

Only sold it as I needed the space in the house. Now bought it back and am delighted go have it home. Still have my BB734a which is an awesome bass with considerable upgrades on the BB414, but I just constantly fiddle with the active electronics between every song.

The BB 414 I just plug it in and play

And the 414/424/2024 is just 'sexier' looking

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, EJWW said:

And the 414/424/2024 is just 'sexier' looking

I had the 414, 424x 1024x and the 734a. I know  its hersey to say on the Yamaha forum but I just fell our of love with the big bloated body of the BB. Loved how they played, sounded and their versatility.

Once I saw a photo on myself playing lt live it just looked huge on me and that was the end of my love affair with Yamaha. Don't think the battered face, bald head and bandy legs had any bearing on it.

Bought the 414 back as its just for playing at home. Use a Fender Precision  now or G&L JB2, which is a precision shape for gigs and rehersals.