Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

2 hours ago, acroxixo said:

Just bought a friend to the BB1025 I have. 

I just realised that we must have at least 2. Its B & B 🤦🏻‍♂️

285A4890-D93F-4FA8-B931-2AE05D5CFAFD.jpeg

Very nice!

Just realised you weren't on the OP "wall of shame" so have added you, and also that in alphabetical order you're actually the first entry! 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Al Krow said:

So what are your thoughts on how your 424 is stacking up against your 1025?

I bought the 424 because I couldn’t find a 1024 where I live (Portugal). 
And I read where the difference's some of you wrote about this two basses and pull the trigger. 
For the band I want to use it (punk/hardcore) I really really like it. Before the show I put a new set of Elixir SS strings and made a quick set up. The sound cut true the mix very well, even with a really loud drummer and guitarist. They also said they liked the sound of the bass. 

I think the 1025 put’s more “body” to the sound. Don’t now if I can explain this in words. I use the 1025 in a very different style of band and in a different tuning. 

In resume the BB1025 put a StingRay5 at home and the BB424 a 1977 Ibanez lawsuit jazz bass. 

• Like 3

For a punk band I think I'd favour the 424 over a 1024.

I have both and was going to compare the two and sell the 'loser', but at the mo I still have both. 

The 424 tone is slightly more abnoxious than the politeness of the 1024. The 424 is a snotty teenager, all shouty and needing to be heard, compared to a grown up suave gent that is the 1024, who'd rather let his smooth charm speak for itself. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Greg.Bassman said:

Great basses. I have a beautiful ‘BB1024 Tobacco Brown Sunburst’ for sale at the moment if anyone is interested. It needs a good home. Check out the ad here...

Yamaha1.jpg

Yamaha2.jpg

Look just stop it will you, I`m trying to resist :D

I had one like yours from the same last batch and sold it twice and still miss it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

Look just stop it will you, I`m trying to resist :D

I had one like yours from the same last batch and sold it twice and still miss it!

Lol. Don’t give me cold feet! 😁

I was reluctant to sell at first, but I have not used it in a long time, which is unfair, as it deserves all the playing time it can get. So it needs to go 😉

Edited by Greg.Bassman
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well after waiting 12 weeks my pickups arrived from Sontec and the pick up escutcheon plate was for a 5 string instead of the 4. This has set me back as my project is stalled as these are very hard to find but someone may have one hidden away in a parts box 🤔 until Sontec replace the one they sent.. 

IMG_20220516_230809_edit_131477654155456.thumb.jpg.c21c9e2d6bd3b663c59b693d81bdc9a3.jpg

2 minutes ago, briansbrew said:

Well after waiting 12 weeks my pickups arrived from Sontec and the pick up escutcheon plate was for a 5 string instead of the 4. This has set me back as my project is stalled as these are very hard to find but someone may have one hidden away in a parts box 🤔 until Sontec replace the one they sent.. 

IMG_20220516_230809_edit_131477654155456.thumb.jpg.c21c9e2d6bd3b663c59b693d81bdc9a3.jpg

“Escutcheon”

So that’s what they’re called. Every day’s a school day. 😉

• Like 2

Having just got hold of a soft flexible tape measure, I took the opportunity to find out exactly how the split pickup location on my 424 relates to that on my P.

Measuring the distances from the nut, the bridge-side edges of the pickups are in exactly the same place.

However, the halves of the BB's split pickup are 2mm wider than those of the P. This means that on the BB

• the mid-point where the two halves meet is 2mm closer to the neck than on the P

• the pole pieces of the E+A half are 3mm closer to the neck

• the neck-side edge is 4mm closer to the neck

Try not to be too fascinated by this news.

• Like 2

So a recent NBD occurred, I was in the market for P bass, when a fellow in these very pages was selling a Tobacco burst BB1024. As I used to have a 1025,I know how good these are, at getting that P tone, so got some old Tomastiks put on.

I've made a couple of cosmetic mods, in that I've had a lovely Tortoise Pickguard made, and added some Art Deco esq knobs. It has a similar vibe to the newer BB models only with IMO a more elegant Guard and body shape. Just waiting on some pickguard adhesive tape,as I don't have a drill,I can then fit it properly.

20220529_164809.jpg

20220529_164819.jpg

• Like 11

7 hours ago, lee650 said:

So a recent NBD occurred, I was in the market for P bass, when a fellow in these very pages was selling a Tobacco burst BB1024. As I used to have a 1025,I know how good these are, at getting that P tone, so got some old Tomastiks put on.

I've made a couple of cosmetic mods, in that I've had a lovely Tortoise Pickguard made, and added some Art Deco esq knobs. It has a similar vibe to the newer BB models only with IMO a more elegant Guard and body shape. Just waiting on some pickguard adhesive tape,as I don't have a drill,I can then fit it properly.

20220529_164809.jpg

20220529_164819.jpg

My goodness! I love what you have done with the 1024. So glad that its new home is with you 🙂

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Greg.Bassman said:

My goodness! I love what you have done with the 1024. So glad that its new home is with you 🙂

Thanks Greg! I'm really pleased with it, smoother P tone than the 425 I have (it had rounds on) so suits the thumpy flats. I do prefer a pickguard for a more Fender vibe, these BB'S are so much better value though.

Massive thanks to @AndyTravis for the loan of his template and general Bass advice across the board!! Love ya man 😁

Edited by lee650
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, lee650 said:

Bit of pickguard tape and it's nicely secured. I got this pickguard from Earlpilanz on EBay, highly recommended 😁

20220530_143904.jpg

20220530_144315.jpg

Nice, thanks for sharing! I was considering adding a pickguard to my burst 1024. I hadn't considered pickguard tape. I'm thinking of going traditional black/white/black! 

• Like 1

I miss my old school BBs.  If I was to dabble again, it would have to be old school, passive reverse P, no bridge pickup so BB300, BB400, BroadBass VI, BB800 - BB1200 if I was feeling fancy...

I had a BB434 a while back but it didn't feel right to me like the old ones did.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, neepheid said:

I miss my old school BBs.  If I was to dabble again, it would have to be old school, passive reverse P, no bridge pickup so BB300, BB400, BroadBass VI, BB800 - BB1200 if I was feeling fancy...

I had a BB434 a while back but it didn't feel right to me like the old ones did.

I’ve a BB424x I may be selling I mean it doesn’t tick any of those boxes you’ve listed... Just saying 😀

Edited by krispn
  • Like 2

On 30/05/2022 at 15:28, yourfurryfiend said:

Nice, thanks for sharing! I was considering adding a pickguard to my burst 1024. I hadn't considered pickguard tape. I'm thinking of going traditional black/white/black! 

The pickguard tape works very well, it's more like an adhesive gel. Earlpilanz on EBay just made mine, so id imagine he kept the template dimensions. I had to borrow one, to send. Be aware my Friend sent me a genuine black pickguard from a 1024x and it didn't quite fit,so bear in mind if buying from Yamaha.

• Thanks 1

On 04/06/2022 at 11:29, EJWW said:

We must be due a new or refreshed BB range sometime soon?

The current range was released in 2017, apart from the Hooky nothing new since. 

Anyone heard anything?

I hope so. 

I've just decided I 'need' a dark coffee burst 734a and if a new range come out, hopefully the current prices will drop. 

• Like 1