Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

26 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Where is this video?

Are you standing there, a furtive, shifty look on your face....

are you scratching in an agitated fashion at the backs of your hands....

Have you suddenly noticed a space in your rack that you hadn't noticed before.....

Edited by CPCustomdubwise
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CPCustomdubwise said:

Are you standing there, a furtive, shifty look on your face....

are you scratching in an agitated fashion at the backs of your hands....

Have you suddenly noticed a space in your rack that you hadn't noticed before.....

No. 🤪

I had a bb1300 which what’s a similar set up.

Wasnt for me. Maybe it was. Damn.

Bit of a sad day for me – having to make the decision to move on my BB424. Or at least shove it under my bed, like buried treasure. I did something bad to my shoulder four months ago, and ever since it's been very unhappy with the BB. I don't think it's so much the weight itself, as how it hangs – I'm sure it's not heavier than my Squier P by more than a few ounces

Frustratingly, this is just at the moment when I've found some strings that I like on all three pickup options – Roto Bass RB45 nickels. Neck, tone on 10; both pickups, tone on 5; bridge, tone on 2 – three strong sounds. Good consistency from string to string, with no feebleness to the E.

I'm going to miss the 424's neck so much. The combination of narrowish nut and properly deep profile is very comfortable for my hand, and I've the action down at 1.5mm–1.9mm. So easy to bounce around the fretboard :sigh: People talk about the neck on the Squier Matt Freeman Sig being excellent, but after the 424, it merely feels adequate. 

When I got it 14 months ago, it immediately relegated my TRBX to a supporting role – the moment I felt the vibrancy of the instrument, my understanding of what it was I wanted from a bass leapt up a couple of levels. It's so loud unplugged.

It seems everyone has a bass they sulk about having sold: this is going to be mine ;)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I don't think it's so much the weight itself, as how it hangs – I'm sure it's not heavier than my Squier P by more than a few ounces

Have you considered replacing the tuners with Hipshot Ultralites? My 1024 felt much better after using those. I'm guessing it would change how it hangs.

I can relate though. I have shoulder issues and the way a bass hangs is important. I noticed that one of my lighter basses causes more pain (Aerodyne vs BB434), I'm presuming due to the way it hangs.

• Like 2

Yes I recently put some Hipshot Licensed Ultralites on my BB 414 and they made a great difference to how it sits with no neck dive at all and now a great balance. Got them from Bass Direct and well worth it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Shylock said:

Yes I recently put some Hipshot Licensed Ultralites on my BB 414 and they made a great difference to how it sits with no neck dive at all and now a great balance. Got them from Bass Direct and well worth it.

Sounds like a really neat solution for neck dive, which I totally agree seems to impact how comfortably a bass sits. One of the features of the BB2005 which makes it so comfortable to wear is just how well it's balanced with zero noticeable neck dive.

Cosmetically - do the Ultralites end up leaving visible holes on the back of the head stock?