Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

That was my thoughts re the thumb rest too. Good price though :D I have just spent around 3 months tinkering with my BB714 to get the action right. Initially thought there was a bow in the neck but there is more than enough movement in the truss rod to rectify that aspect so, put a shim across the two screws closest the neck pocket heel to change the geometry and have to add, worked a treat after all the tinkering was done. 

Edited by andy67
  • Like 2

On 08/01/2022 at 20:25, Ricky Rioli said:

out of curiosity, I've bought a set of Roto Bass. I'm not too sure what I'm expecting. Either adding a little more bite to the P pickup, or thickening up the PJ sound would be a result. But tbh, I am expecting to want to go back to the GHSs afterwards.

The Roto Bass are a tiny bit stiffer than the Boomers, especially the E.

They make a much thicker and more narrow sound than the Boomers. So they do help fatten up the PJ sound.

It's easier to play cleanly with them, but harder to play expressively. I'll be going back to the Boomers, I think.

A little update on my BB605 with Delano pickups and preamp:

It sounds good. Much better IMO than with the stock pickups. The stock pickups were a little bit mid-focused, I felt them a little bit more compressed. The Delanos have more range. Much better low-end. They sound really cool. However, I wanted my BB605 to be like a modern jazz. And it is. But it doesn't sound like a jazz. It is completely different. I love it, since it is also really comfortable and has an impressive 5. The preamp is really transparent and has a lot of options. It is a much better bass now.

20220102_131600.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

Wasn’t this the chap who’s upset a few folk and not sent goods?

Former BC member?

Not aware of the above  but I was watching a few bits he has/had listed (BBP34 and a CaliTX) and his prices change every couple of days, put me right off!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Booga13 said:

Not aware of the above  but I was watching a few bits he has/had listed (BBP34 and a CaliTX) and his prices change every couple of days, put me right off!

I have a Cali TX for sale and the price hasn’t budged. Drop me a dm if interested (I’m fully paid up with my subs and had/have it listed in the for sale section so nothing untoward going on)

10 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Wasn’t this the chap who’s upset a few folk and not sent goods?

Former BC member?

I don't know, but his technique has put me off dealing with him. 

Pick a price pal and stick with it. 

His BBPH was £1500 reduced to £1350 when I saw it. 

A day later it was reduced to £1100.

A couple of days later it's back up to £1500.

I was interested in his Eastwood Hooky 6 which was at £600 down from original listing price of £900, now it's £850. 

I can't comment on actually dealing with him as I haven't, but by all accounts it's not easy. 

He's got some great kit though, just a bizarre way of advertising. 

• Like 2

Just now, AndyTravis said:

Old faithful- D’addario 45-100

I recently put Daddario steels on my P and am very impressed with them, enough that I wondering if my experiences of Daddario XL Nickels were so coloured my unhappiness with the tone of my TRBX that I need to revisit them and give them a second chance. 

7 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I recently put Daddario steels on my P and am very impressed with them, enough that I wondering if my experiences of Daddario XL Nickels were so coloured my unhappiness with the tone of my TRBX that I need to revisit them and give them a second chance. 

I use them - I love the feel - absolutely perfect compliance and smoothness. 

They last me about 4/5 rehearsals.

• Like 1