Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

On 05/01/2022 at 18:43, AndyTravis said:

Can’t speak with authority on this - I had the active version of the crimson one…

It was about 4 years ago - and I’ve owned about 400 basses since then 😋

8 hours ago, MoJo said:

He's not joking :lol:

I've done a detailed analysis on the numbers. Andy has confirmed elsewhere that he's had 15 to 20 new basses over the past 6 months. That means he's had at least 380 to 385 basses i.e. approximately 55 every six months, over the previous 3.5 years.

I guess he must be slowing down.

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I've done a detailed analysis on the numbers. Andy has confirmed elsewhere that he's had 15 to 20 new basses over the past 6 months. That means he's had at least 380 to 385 basses i.e. approximately 55 every six months, over the previous 3.5 years.

I have made a Pivot Table of mine. Needless to say 2021 was intense.

image.png.ceccfcd5233d3bbc593f89361bcc1bca.png

8 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

To be fair, I’ve been playing for 25 years. Could be more…

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Machines said:

I have made a Pivot Table of mine. Needless to say 2021 was intense.

image.png.ceccfcd5233d3bbc593f89361bcc1bca.png

Well you probably don't need to get anymore this year after your recent purchase: I see you're another member of the Yammy & Spector lovers tribe! And, boy, is that a tasty 4 string Spector that you've just got!! 

18 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Well you probably don't need to get anymore this year after your recent purchase: I see you're another member of the Yammy & Spector lovers tribe! And, boy, is that a tasty 4 string Spector that you've just got!! 

I am in the anti gas 2022 club. So far so good, I try and relieve the pressure by finding basses @AndyTravis would like and try and get him to buy them instead.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

And I’m in strong resolve mode at the minute 

How does a superb condition, tobacco burst, Shergold Modulator 8 string, in original case with the 'case candy' grab ya? 

It popped up on facebook marketplace within reasonable distance from me and I very nearly had my second crumble. 

I'd in all reality never use an eight string, but it looks fantastic. 

BTSyfL2.jpeg

Edited by Maude
Adding picture, or this post would be useless. 😉

20 minutes ago, Maude said:

How does a superb condition, tobacco burst, Shergold Modulator 8 string, in original case with the 'case candy' grab ya? 

It popped up on facebook marketplace within reasonable distance from me and I very nearly had my second crumble. 

I'd in all reality never use an eight string, but it looks fantastic. 

BTSyfL2.jpeg

Ooooihhhh guff. Hmm. Yeah yeah. Ooof,

21 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

To be fair, I’ve been playing for 25 years. Could be more…

Here's a BIG question for you, then: of all the hundreds of basses you've ever owned, which has been your all time favourite / biggest regret in moving on?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Here's a BIG question for you, then: of all the hundreds of basses you've ever owned, which has been your all time favourite / biggest regret in moving on?

Maybe the Modulus Flea. For both.

Sadowsky HPJ too.

Yeah, typing the Modulus Flea in, made my stomach turn. So. That.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Thinking about this, been playing and buying selling basses since a teenager and now an awful lot older, I can’t feel

regret about anything I’ve let go of. I can remember feeling like I didn’t want to sell at the time but looking back now any post sale remorse has long gone.

I have more regrets about ones I didn’t buy, mostly not common or easy to find things that at the time I wonder if I really need and spend a long time mulling over as the things get sold 😂 
Several Warwick’s, mostly Dolphin Pro 1’s

couple of Basslabs 

Turner Renaissance 5

Rob Allen Deep 5 - impossible logistics

a fantastic Carl Thompson Rainbow 6 string replica
Several 90’s string basses

a Bee Bass

a couple of Callowhills

and a few others including a ridiculously cheap Ampeg B15. 

Funny how I remember these but struggle to recall all the ones I’ve bought and sold. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dazed said:

Thinking about this, been playing and buying selling basses since a teenager and now an awful lot older, I can’t feel

regret about anything I’ve let go of. I can remember feeling like I didn’t want to sell at the time but looking back now any post sale remorse has long gone.

I have more regrets about ones I didn’t buy, mostly not common or easy to find things that at the time I wonder if I really need and spend a long time mulling over as the things get sold 😂 
Several Warwick’s, mostly Dolphin Pro 1’s

couple of Basslabs 

Turner Renaissance 5

Rob Allen Deep 5 - impossible logistics

a fantastic Carl Thompson Rainbow 6 string replica
Several 90’s string basses

a Bee Bass

a couple of Callowhills

and a few others including a ridiculously cheap Ampeg B15. 

Funny how I remember these but struggle to recall all the ones I’ve bought and sold. 

Is it a case of "the ones that got away" that affect us most? We humans, eh? 

It could well be. Have a terrible habit of hunting stuff down, finding it then not buying it, feeling like it’s mine and safe. Some of those in the list were for sale for over 12 months without a buyer and not necessarily because of a high price but in obscure little shops. Always followed by that stomach turning sick feeling when someone else had discovered and bought it. 

I think I’ve realised it’s the chase that's the thrill and quite often I’ve lost interest when the purchase arrives.

• Like 2

I was going to put Fender pure nickels on my 424, but from having them on my P briefly I learnt they're definitely not for me. So, out of curiosity, I've bought a set of Roto Bass I'll try once the GHS Boomers need changing.

Youtube doesn't have much in the way of Roto Bass demos so I'm not too sure what I'm expecting. Either adding a little more bite to the P pickup, or thickening up the PJ sound would be a result. But tbh, I am expecting to want to go back to the GHSs afterwards.

Hi @DWeekes90 - came across your FS post recently: John East UNI-PRE 5 (no knobs) and was interested to understand a bit more about which Yamaha bass you were looking to upgrade the preamp on, as I've got an eye on potentially doing something similar on my BB 2005, and wondering what the incompatibility with the pups was you found?

I bought this Yamaha SB1200s on Ebay before Christmas, a previous owner removed the stock pickups and replaced them with cheap ones, tuners were in bad shape but the body was in good overall condition despite the routing. So I striped it all down to the bare wood and oiled it with gunstock oil. New P an J pickups, new kiogan loom and it all turned out well.

Yamaha1.thumb.jpeg.9e018bbe70512a1d76f636fb83061ce0.jpegYamaha2.thumb.jpeg.57f041b7a2b17aff3685a91253aea9ea.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, briansbrew said:

I bought this Yamaha SB1200s on Ebay before Christmas, a previous owner removed the stock pickups and replaced them with cheap ones, tuners were in bad shape but the body was in good overall condition despite the routing. So I striped it all down to the bare wood and oiled it with gunstock oil. New P an J pickups, new kiogan loom and it all turned out well.

Yamaha1.thumb.jpeg.9e018bbe70512a1d76f636fb83061ce0.jpegYamaha2.thumb.jpeg.57f041b7a2b17aff3685a91253aea9ea.jpeg

See if @AndyTraviscan spot the body shape 

6 minutes ago, Maude said:

Wow!! 

That looks loads better. Nice job. 

I saw that on ebay but it looked like a bit of a disaster, nicely rescued though. 

😎👍

I could not pass it up Maude, it was a pleasure to work on and im pleased with the result, you have to love that fretboard ...

• Like 1