Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

For no reason at all, I've just been comparing the specs of the BB234 with the TRBX174, which is quite different to the rest of the TRBX range (which is all ice lolly stick necks and humbuckers)

Both have ceramic PJ pickups, both have 40mm nuts, both have 4 bolt necks (the 6 bolt for the BB starts with the 434)

The TRBX174 neck is very slightly *thicker* than the BB234, and the much smaller TRBX174 body is mahogany, whereas the BB234 is alder. 

16398259237512136345388824367180-01.thumb.jpeg.843658ffc94980b2721efce16b8b682b.jpeg

16398258158542930540318909908280-01.jpeg.005839838ef40e31a36e2fa487c9c878.jpeg

Edited by Ricky Rioli
Pictures are nice
  • Like 1

Hello Folks,

I've recently aquired a rather lovely BB1200 and I'd appreciate some advice about a suitable truss rod wrench.

Any ideas as to what size they are and where I could source one?

Apologies if this has been asked before. I did  a search but couldn't see an answer.

Many thanks

Stuart

10 hours ago, briansbrew said:

Is it worth the asking price Andy...

Yes it is! The MIT models were every bit MIJ equals, my first Attitude mk1 was Taiwanese, and was perfection 👍 Just for info, Yamaha don’t do poor quality because they state all manufacturing processes - no matter where made - follow the exact MIJ processes and quality control mechanisms as their MIJ custom factory. My only complaint about Yamaha is they quality control every aspect of instrument manufacture to the nth degree meaning a loss of individuality and character. Good compliment though 👍😎

Edited by andy67
  • Like 1

The ad doesn’t say…. In my experience it can sometimes be almost impossible to read the country of manufacture stamped into the headstock beneath the serial number. I’ve occasionally asked sellers to try and check… I’ve had MIT and MIJ BB1100s and there’s something about the MlJ that feels superior. Could be my imagination of course!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Richard Jinman said:

The ad doesn’t say…. In my experience it can sometimes be almost impossible to read the country of manufacture stamped into the headstock beneath the serial number. I’ve occasionally asked sellers to try and check… I’ve had MIT and MIJ BB1100s and there’s something about the MlJ that feels superior. Could be my imagination of course!

I think that is a mindset similar to US and Mexican Fender. MIT was every bit their custom shop as the MIJ is. There is an explanation of why basses where built there, particularly in reference to the mk1 attitude. I’m not on FB anymore so can’t retrieve it via the Attitude FB page. If you PM John Willis he knows 👍

Edited by andy67

3 hours ago, andy67 said:

I think that is a mindset similar to US and Mexican Fender. MIT was every bit their custom shop as the MIJ is. There is an explanation of why basses where built there, particularly in reference to the mk1 attitude. I’m not on FB anymore so can’t retrieve it via the Attitude FB page. If you PM John Willis he knows 👍

I’m sure you’re right. 

As I've suddenly gone off the PJ combination on my 424 (which I suspect is just my general dislike for the sound of two pickups together finally asserting itself) I'm going to try a set of Fender 7150 next, to see if 100% nickel will thicken up the middle of the sound a bit better than the Boomers. They're still hexcore, so my fingers should like them.

Anyone ever put them on a BB?