Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

After 11 months and 2 days, the pickup toggle on my BB moved to the left.

I didn't see it coming, but with hindsight I'm not surprised, as I rarely enjoy the sound of two pickups blended — too much of my favourite bit of the tone disappears for my taste. 

I shall be trying out a set of Fender 7150 all-nickel hexcore rounds, perhaps they will help the toggle rethink its decision. Or at least stop being quite so decisive.

2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Hobgoblin Birmingham had one for £175 a few months ago. It was pretty beat up and I passed on it.

Interesting that he says he saw on an airport scanner that the soapbar pickups were basically split coil P bass pickups in a rectangular housing. 

Would the the BBG5S have sold better as a double P?

I'm think the soapbar in my BEX4 is the same as in May old BBG5S, I've always said that the BEX4 is like an active P with added 'air' from being semi hollow, maybe that's why. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Maude said:

Interesting that he says he saw on an airport scanner that the soapbar pickups were basically split coil P bass pickups in a rectangular housing. 

Would the the BBG5S have sold better as a double P?

I'm think the soapbar in my BEX4 is the same as in May old BBG5S, I've always said that the BEX4 is like an active P with added 'air' from being semi hollow, maybe that's why. 

Looking forward to seeing your pix of the new bass 😎🥳🍻

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

You mentioned on another thread,  I think the "Are you feeling guilty for having the audacity not be gigging on a Saturday night and spending it on BC instead?", that you might be reforming your reggae band? If so, brilliant! And PLEASE get that BF LF1400 in the FS! 😊

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Ah , it must have been relisted, I didn’t realise it was the same one 👍

It's this lot I was meaning. 

I remember a while back that you and I were both interested in getting a BF Dubster 2 (I ended up getting an RCF 702ASii, as a Dubster 2 was nowhere to be found). I think the LF1400 is an active version of the same, now discontinued, beast and boy would it pair with your main cab (is that a BB2?) for reggae! Ooof!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

It's this lot I was meaning. 

I remember a while back that you and I were both interested in getting a BF Dubster 2 (I ended up getting an RCF 702ASii, as a Dubster 2 was nowhere to be found). I think the LF1400 is an active version of the same, now discontinued, beast and boy would it pair with your main cab (is that a BB2?) for reggae! Ooof!

The BB2 is superb for reggae Al, really nice deep clean lows, I’ve got it with an Ampeg V-4B at the moment, I have got an eye on that LF, I imagine they sound immense 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

The BB2 is superb for reggae Al, really nice deep clean lows, I’ve got it with an Ampeg V-4B at the moment, I have got an eye on that LF, I imagine they sound immense 

The only caveat I have, having had a further look at the specs, is that the Dubster 2 is down as having a "usable range" of 25Hz to 2000Hz  whereas the LF 1400 really is geared to being a sub woofer with a corresponding usable range of 25 Hz to 160 Hz.

• Like 1