Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

Same as mine but bridge looks to be a replacement on the one for sale. Also don't think the knobs are damaged. The top part is clear which can reflect the light in an odd way depending on the angle.IMG_20211202_174605445.thumb.jpg.7eb264b6c677ee1155ce05211ba5477c.jpg

Edited by Alba
  • Like 1

On 15/11/2021 at 07:58, Ricky Rioli said:

I haven't been able to find out anything more about the 550, other than that in 1986 it was the bottom of the BB range. It's always the cheap ones that get the paint jobs I admire....

BB550

body wood: Basswood

colors: BL, WH, FR (red)

Matching headstock

painted bolt on neck

rosewood board, dot markers

scale: 33 7/8"

21 frets

hardware finish: chrome

bridge: BB-IIC

tuning machines: Schaller m4s

pickups: YBS-A1P

passive

made in japan

introduced 10/1/86

¥48000

@Al Krow you're going to have to demote me from the wall of shame as I'm now BB-less.

In my battle to defeat GAS I've got rid of all but 2 basses (down from 7). My only Yammy connection is now my 90s TRB5. 

On the plus side the GAS seems to have subsided....

• Like 2

On 01/12/2021 at 08:43, tom.android said:

I’m now officially keen to try one of these out. I’ve put a wanted ad up in the forum. Anyone knows of one available send me a PM cheers

One came up a couple of years back in mint condition and just didn't shift and I think was withdrawn. I guess some things just fade from collective consciousness as to how good they were untill someone stumbles on them again and says 'Wow!!'; Mendelssohn's rediscovery of J S Bach has gotta be the ultimate musical example? But the BB2004 really is another hen's teeth Yamaha piece of kit these days - I do hope you manage to find one. I'm still feeling unashamedly unapologetic about jumping on my BB2005 within 24 hours of it coming up for sale - such a fantastic bass!

21 minutes ago, EJWW said:

@Al Krow you're going to have to demote me from the wall of shame as I'm now BB-less.

In my battle to defeat GAS I've got rid of all but 2 basses (down from 7). My only Yammy connection is now my 90s TRB5. 

Given you've now had at least 4 different BB models and still have the rather splendid TRB5, I've not completely whitewashed (or whatever the appropriate non-offensive term is these days!) you from the wall, for old times' sake (not that I'm saying you're 'old' btw). Being GAS-free is a wonderful thing, right? I mean being able to focus on actually using our gear and becoming better bass players, rather than being on the never ending tone quest for something only we're going to notice, has got lots of plusses! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EJWW said:

Pix of your TRB5 or it doesn’t exist 😂

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

Andertons have one.

But it`s attached to a fretless BB400. £300, go on you know you want to!

https://www.andertons.co.uk/second-hand-yamaha-bb400s

Very tempting jezzaboy, would cover up this unsightly mess. My recently acquired SB1200s which has been badly upgraded, ripped the pickups out but luckily all the rest is original. 

6 minutes ago, Maude said:

I saw that one on ebay. 

Lovely looking bass, but the pickups 😬

What are planning to do with the pickup routes? 

I haven't decided yet, I might have to get a Pickguard made up when I decide which pickups to install

8 minutes ago, briansbrew said:

I haven't decided yet, I might have to get a Pickguard made up when I decide which pickups to install

It'll be a shame to cover up the lovely neck through laminates. It works for Rickenbacker though. 

Would a pair of large pickups with surrounds work? That bridge p/u route is a big old hole though. 

Keep us posted though, it'll be interesting to see what you come up with. 

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Given you've now had at least 4 different BB models and still have the rather splendid TRB5, I've not completely whitewashed (or whatever the appropriate non-offensive term is these days!) you from the wall, for old times' sake (not that I'm saying you're 'old' btw). Being GAS-free is a wonderful thing, right? I mean being able to focus on actually using our gear and becoming better bass players, rather than being on the never ending tone quest for something only we're going to notice, has got lots of plusses! 

That's the theory, I'm tying it in with a new year's resolution to live clutter-free and concentrate on the things that matter like practice and making music.... 🤞 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

And for @andy67....

20211205_134948.thumb.jpg.8abe4c7c7e1a9862f16658c7a82802a7.jpg

20211205_134916.thumb.jpg.6a7db342e11ebf1208b58e90120561aa.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

A suggestion. Fill pickup routes.

Veneer top. New routes.

would lose the laminate look at the front, but would look lovely in a teal or something with that maple board.

Hmmm...I know that I veneer anything that stands still for more than a few seconds... ;)

...but I'm with @Maude on this one.  To me, the joy of these basses is the visible neck-through.  And, as @briansbrew says, the body finish is original.  Personally, I think it would be nice to find a solution that retains those elements.