Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

I've mostly had 45–105 GHS Boomers on my 424. I always play with both pickups on, and they fill in the gaps in the sound very nicely. The stiffness and tension suits me. 

Now I've got a P as well, I would happily trade a little of the Boomers' presence for even more warmth in the mids, to increase the contrast between my two basses a little.

Option (1) Fender 7150. I've the Fender nickel-on-steel 7250 on my P, and like their tension/stiffness/feel/price, so these all-nickel hexcore rounds would be an easy choice.

Option (2) DR Nickel Lo-Riders. Said to have lots of warmth for NPS hexcore rounds, but they are a lot more expensive, and might be lower tension than I like.

Has anyone tried either the 7150s or the Nickel Lo-Riders on their BB?

Edited by Ricky Rioli
Bit less wordy

7 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I've had 45–105 GHS Boomers on my 424 most the year and have liked them very much. I always play with both pickups on, and they fill in the gaps in the sound very nicely. They're both stiff and high tension, which suits me.

Now I've got a P as well, I would happily trade in a little of the Boomers presence for something with even more warmth in the mids, to increase the contrast between my two basses a little.

One option would be Fender 7150, all-nickel hexcore rounds. I've the Fender nickel-on-steel 7250 on my P, and like their tension/stiffness/feel/price, so the 7150 would be an easy choice.

Another option would be DR Nickel Lo-Riders, NPS hexcore rounds. They are said to have lots of warmth while still being the NPS I know I like... but they are a lot more expensive. Not sure if they're perhaps lower tension than I like.

Has anyone tried either the 7150s or the Nickel Lo-Riders on their BB?

No but in true Basschat style I'll throw my favourite in the mix just to add some confusion. 😁

It sounds like you like me in liking a robust feeling string. I've settled on D'addario half rounds (enr72 are great) as they have a decent amount of tension, allowing me to really dig in without masses of fret clatter, they have that flatwound bottom and mid but still have a reasonable amount of treble. They're kind of like old rounds but with a real punch in the mids. In our band they really sit well, playing Mod/Ska/Northern Soul. 

This mornings fun. Some comparison time and a choice to be made. 

Visually (shallow I know) the 1024's bridge, P pickup, string tree, nut and gloss headstock look nicer, but the 424's fretboard wood is far, far nicer and I prefer the plain black scratchplate. 

The 1024 has white Dr neons while the 424 has D'addario half rounds ( @Ricky Rioli) so sound comparison will be difficult.

I've not weighed them but the 1024 feels heavier, but not substantially. 

Time to play. 🙂👍

GVSISN9.jpeg

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Maude said:

A lovely looking '85 fretless BB1100S has just popped up on facebook marketplace. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/167660810099231/permalink/1856217261243569/?sale_post_id=1856217261243569

That link didn't work for me so here' an alternative link if needed - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1057346094837121

Well after an extensive playing and testing session with the 424 and 1024 yesterday, I can with absolute certainty say that I don't bloody know which I prefer!

The 1024 should be better, but is it? 

The drastically different strings are the biggest problem as the tone is so different it's impossible to compare. 

I definitely think I prefer the reverse P of my 424, but I have the Hooky now for my reverse P hunger, so maybe that and the standard P 1024 would make a nice pair. 

It's a dilemma but a nice dilemma to have. 

Serious question that might just sway it. 

What do folks think about my reversing the P on the 424, have I reduced it's value or not? Even if I say so myself, it's been done nicely, routed out neatly and the scratchplate is a perfect fit, not some hack it out job, and it's all reversible if wanted. 

I wouldn't expect it to have added value, but as it's now non standard is it worth less? 

Edited by Maude

21 hours ago, Maude said:

Well after an extensive playing and testing session with the 424 and 1024 yesterday, I can with absolute certainty say that I don't bloody know which I prefer!

The 1024 should be better, but is it? 

The drastically different strings are the biggest problem as the tone is so different it's impossible to compare. 

I definitely think I prefer the reverse P of my 424, but I have the Hooky now for my reverse P hunger, so maybe that and the standard P 1024 would make a nice pair. 

It's a dilemma but a nice dilemma to have. 

Serious question that might just sway it. 

What do folks think about my reversing the P on the 424, have I reduced it's value or not? Even if I say so myself, it's been done nicely, routed out neatly and the scratchplate is a perfect fit, not some hack it out job, and it's all reversible if wanted. 

I wouldn't expect it to have added value, but as it's now non standard is it worth less? 

Good question! 

I suspect many folk haven't come across the benefits of a reverse-P and wouldn't regard it as an improvement, but would see it as modded bass that is no longer an "original". 

I wonder if you described it as: "reverse-P set up similar to Hooky's PH signature bass to deliver a tighter P-bass sound" it might do justice to the work you have put into it? 

GLWTS 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

Macca must need the cash....

Naw! He saw there was a thread of 314 pages on BC and took the hump. He was overheard saying “Everybody has one!” In a bar in Paisley 

Edited by krispn
  • Haha 1

On 24/11/2021 at 10:28, Al Krow said:

BB 2004 comes pretty close - even has the reverse-P J set up.

image.png.4136f0ab8352361595c41d998275dd28.png

I’m now officially keen to try one of these out. I’ve put a wanted ad up in the forum. Anyone knows of one available send me a PM cheers

Edited by tom.android