Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

2 minutes ago, Maude said:

Looks to have some nice figuring on the neck and fretboard. 

Good price too. 

Note the finish crack in last picture (and description) which may put some off, but aye, very tempting!

Edited by Happypants

8 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

That does look good, but that crack is the entire length of the body. How does that even happen? 😂

Have seen this on a few White bb424/424x now - I wonder if it’s the type of paint used?

My white 424 was flawless, but I’ve seen them with finish splits emanating from pickup screws and neck joints.

weird - you see it a lot on the Japanese fender “foto flame” series and Shergold basses can be susceptible to it too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BassApprentice said:

Could be, if I can shift something in time I might take a punt on it. 

Just out of interest, what's the worst outcome of that crack? A massive portion of the finish just coming away? 

It's a customs shop road worn, get it bought man! 😁

It's possible a large section of paint could just lift off the edge, but more than likely it'll just stay as a crack in the finish, possibly elongating over time. 

@AndyTravis I see that you've been wrestling with the age-old conundrum of how to reconcile having a fantastic Spector Euro LX with owning a wonderful Yamaha BB bass. This same problem will eventually lay the basis for the Kobayashi Maru.

After giving this a lot of careful thought over much time, @lee650 and I seem to have independently arrived at exactly the same conclusion: there is only one good way to resolve this conundrum, and that's to have one of each. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

You can get one in good condition for around £100 so probably not cost effective. Ridiculous really.

• Like 1

@bubinga5 - see that your love affair with the 434 was a bit of a one night stand! Guess it didn't hit the spot for you? Mind knowing what other basses you've got / had it had some pretty high-end competition to deal with! GLWTS.

Edited by Al Krow

Interesting from the FS ads that there seems to be very little difference in used prices between the 'Modern Series 2' and the latest 'Modern Series 3' Yamahas, these days.

I guess that's down to:

- people appreciating the quality of the 1024/5 and 424/5 Series 2 line. No doubt the love shown for them on this thread won't have hurt! 

- plus the new range came out in 2017 so the difference in price folk are prepared to pay for a 3 or 5 y/o bass probably isn't a lot.

- supply and demand: they ain't making any more of the Modern Series 2!

Righto folks, educate me. 😉

What are the differences between a 424 a 1024?

The P pickup is a blade and the neck laminates look different. 

I'm tempted by the 1024x in the classifieds to replace my 424x, but is it worth it as I do really like my 424x, just wondered if I'd like a 1024x even more. 

I know I reversed my P but I have the Hooky for that now. 

Edited by Maude

Think the “2 series” seemed to nail what the 80’s bb’s we’re all about, straightforward and well made.

The newer “3 series” have been made with fender fit pickups etc so just seem a bit less special to me.

i think a revamped version of the 2’s with the fancy neck joint and little headstock change would’ve been better.

But, what do I know…

• Like 1

On 31/10/2021 at 06:36, Velarian said:

It’s nice, but the wrong colour for me I’m afraid.

BTW what’s the difference between the 414 and the 350? Is it just the reverse P pickup on the 350 and does that make much difference compared to the normal p arrangement?

Sorry - missed this.

Reverse P makes everything a bit more “musicman” - it’s a very pokey bass, and if my Spector shifts, I’m keeping it.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Maude said:

Righto folks, educate me. 😉

What are the differences between a 424 a 1024?

The P pickup is a blade and the neck laminates look different. 

I'm tempted by the 1024x in the classifieds to replace my 424x.

I know I reversed my P but I have the Hooky for that now. 

• The 1024 has higher-end pups which are harmonically richer (which I really prefer) vs the 424 which has flatter pups (which plenty others really like / prefer);
  • The 424 pups are 'hotter';
  • Both have laminated bolt-on necks and body-through stringing;
  • Upgraded body construction on the 1024 (spline jointed body, body through stringing, metal nut) vs 424 (single piece body, normal stringing, plastic nut) - I think I've got that right, although I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me if I haven't.

I'd actually recommend getting that lovely 1024x in the FS (can't believe it's not shifted yet!) and A/B'ing it with your 424 and then moving on the one you don't want to keep as, whilst I would go for the 1024 every day of the week, others would do the opposite!

Edited by Al Krow
Corrected for AT's point below
  • Like 1