Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

54 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I've found that my basses have absolutely nothing to fear from my belts when I have one of these for "protection" 😄

2012292520_Fattummy.jpg.072e2cd3357e8807a836da39184d9d67.jpg

mine is variable, currently at my “fighting weight” of 13.5st, I’m a bit flat fronted compared to this time 6 months ago. 

just in time to put it all back on over Christmas 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Maude said:

If I'm wearing a belt I put it through starting one loop to the left so that the buckle is to left. 

Makes taking yer troosers off more difficult but saves your bass. 

I’m being facetious.

1) The basses I own don’t last long enough to get gigged, or buckle rash…in fairness with all the drama in the band, and covid I haven’t gigged in a long time. 2 years I think - and no sign as the band are gun shy…weird.

2) There’s a transition Wal Mk1 on eBay currently at £6k, I showed Mrs T and she said “if I’m paying £6k it wants prettier wood on the front”.

3) Anyone who’s bought a bass from me knows I baby them and they’re not a state unless I bought them that way and listed as such…

so…I’m trying to look cool. And failed.

My Kids will tell you, I’m not cool 😉😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

mine is variable, currently at my “fighting weight” of 13.5st, I’m a bit flat fronted compared to this time 6 months ago. 

just in time to put it all back on over Christmas 

You and me, both mate! Weirdly that's almost exactly the same weight as I currently am, but I could do with shedding a few more lbs yet... 

4 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I’m being facetious.

1) The basses I own don’t last long enough to get gigged, or buckle rash…in fairness with all the drama in the band, and covid I haven’t gigged in a long time. 2 years I think - and no sign as the band are gun shy…weird.

2) There’s a transition Wal Mk1 on eBay currently at £6k, I showed Mrs T and she said “if I’m paying £6k it wants prettier wood on the front”.

3) Anyone who’s bought a bass from me knows I baby them and they’re not a state unless I bought them that way and listed as such…

so…I’m trying to look cool. And failed.

My Kids will tell you, I’m not cool 😉😂

I was thinking exactly point (1) about your basses...surely he doesn't have them long enough under his roof to actually gig all of them?! 😁

(2) she's got a point 😁 Get yourself a Ken Smith. 

And apparently, according to some, you might as well get an ACG as a Wal. But can that really be true? 

Please note it is the JOB of all kids to not think their parents are cool. It's in the Kid's job spec, clause 1.1.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Maude said:

Annoyingly the wood on my PH is nicer on the back than the front. 

Being three pieces and a translucent finish, it shows on the front but blends together nicely on the back. 

It's much nicer in the flesh which I'm sure glad about. 

The maple sandwich looks nice though. It's just glorified plywood. 😁

Gratuitous pics. 😉

stnP7Z6.jpeg

BpCMuRm.jpeg

Congratulations on the new bass! One itch well and truly scratched for you 😊

Edited by Al Krow
  • Thanks 1

@Al Krowhad a smith. Got it out of the case, I felt warm and in love.

about an hour after that, my ex had quit a really well paid job and announced she had £1800 overdraft with no way of paying it back and £14k of credit card debt.

we’d just had Ella. For reference, here’s Ella…

3BAA1D20-7708-43ED-BD16-FF7D72D7C1E3.thumb.jpeg.35e0e97711db2390a36132bf37ddb2e4.jpeg

such was the anguish, I’ve never been able to look at a Ken smith the same since…

It went to Italy I think.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

@Al Krowhad a smith. Got it out of the case, I felt warm and in love.

about an hour after that, my ex had quit a really well paid job and announced she had £1800 overdraft with no way of paying it back and £14k of credit card debt.

we’d just had Ella. For reference, here’s Ella…

3BAA1D20-7708-43ED-BD16-FF7D72D7C1E3.thumb.jpeg.35e0e97711db2390a36132bf37ddb2e4.jpeg

such was the anguish, I’ve never been able to look at a Ken smith the same since…

It went to Italy I think.

I think that was about the same time we became "pen pals" I'd got my Smith at the same time. You know my thoughts and I agree 1000% with Mrs Trav for £6k I'd want prettier wood.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lee650 said:

I think that was about the same time we became "pen pals" I'd got my Smith at the same time. You know my thoughts and I agree 1000% with Mrs Trav for £6k I'd want prettier wood.

So, we're agreed, a Smith then?

According to Scott "this bass is really, really special, not only because it sounds insane and plays like a dream [note: not butter], but also because of its history..."

He must, of course, be referring to the fact that it had previously been owned by our one and only @ped, right?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Maybe count yourself lucky her initials weren't BB then! 😉

Ha. No.

much like with basses, I’ve been around the block a bit - my wife asked me on our first official date where I kept my pedals…

but that lady is the only one who’s name had put me off a bass brand…

• Like 1

Had the BB out at the 80’s band rehearsal last night. Performed admirably and certainly looked the part. I’ve always favoured a 3-way switch on a PJ (early memories of a knock off silver sparkle PJ a la Duff on my first ever ‘big gig’)!

Had the HX Stomp set to a GK amp/cab patch with a couple of variations with different mid bump patches one in the low mids the other high mid along with a basic patch. Sounded good and the band were happy with the overall bass sound and thankfully the playing. 

3 hours ago, krispn said:

Had the BB out at the 80’s band rehearsal last night. Performed admirably and certainly looked the part. I’ve always favoured a 3-way switch on a PJ (early memories of a knock off silver sparkle PJ a la Duff on my first ever ‘big gig’)!

Had the HX Stomp set to a GK amp/cab patch with a couple of variations with different mid bump patches one in the low mids the other high mid along with a basic patch. Sounded good and the band were happy with the overall bass sound and thankfully the playing. 

Somehow I'd not clocked that you had got yourself another BB, Gav! Which model? 

1 hour ago, krispn said:

My previous post…

Wot...this one?? 

On 07/10/2021 at 09:52, krispn said:

I was gonna say the same thing. Get the actual model used rather than a marketing piece (in the nicest possible sense)!

No matter...I'm sure it's a great bass whichever model you've got! 😁

Aha thanks - just before Maude's sorcery with his pup reversal, which is probably why I didn't clock it (ya know no pics etc vs something sexy going on immediately below!).

@andy67 - my bad, I was getting confused between Muzz's 414 (which is "un-souped", but looks great) and Maude's souped up 424X (and also looks great!) 😊

• Like 1