Al Krow

18 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Seems scarcely worth his while.

what were they, £900/£1000?

No price bashing, I reckon 35% margin.

cost to dealer £650 Inc vat

cost to yamaha per bass, £300.

I reckon he’s got £100 per bass.

£40k? Or thereabouts? Not to be sniffed at while unable to gig while a pandemic is going on.

Not based upon facts at all…just a rough guess. Have heard of similar deals.

• Like 1

Nightmare!! 

You must've been gutted. 

I had a tense enough time buying mine. Finally decided yesterday I'd go for it, sent him a cheeky £850 offer, he said he'd take £900 (only been played a handful of times, not left the house, it really is like new). He had someone else interested and said he'd given them first refusal, if he didn't hear back by seven o'clock it was mine. That was at three in the afternoon. A tense four hours followed.

I'm really glad I got it now, no I don't need it, but I don't need the money sat in the bank either. If I do I can sell it. 

But I won't. Shhh. 😉

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maude said:

Nightmare!! 

You must've been gutted. 

I had a tense enough time buying mine. Finally decided yesterday I'd go for it, sent him a cheeky £850 offer, he said he'd take £900 (only been played a handful of times, not left the house, it really is like new). He had someone else interested and said he'd given them first refusal, if he didn't hear back by seven o'clock it was mine. That was at three in the afternoon. A tense four hours followed.

I'm really glad I got it now, no I don't need it, but I don't need the money sat in the bank either. If I do I can sell it. 

But I won't. Shhh. 😉

Gutted is a bit strong.

Mildly Irked.

I absolutely don’t need one. 

Just fancied one. Should’ve bought a signed one when I was offered one of the 5 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Gutted is a bit strong.

Mildly Irked.

I absolutely don’t need one. 

Just fancied one. Should’ve bought a signed one when I was offered one of the 5 🤦🏻‍♂️

One of the five would've been nice. 

Stupid really, what difference does it make if it's signed or not? Bizarrely it makes all the difference. I'd have loved one of them. 

• Like 1

The BBPH was £899 in PMT and slightly over a £1000 for a signed one but they had a discount code so they were cheaper then that. All other shops had no signed at £999. 

I wish I bought a signed, I had one in my basket for awhile but I thought they would be a 2nd run.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Maude said:

One of the five would've been nice. 

Stupid really, what difference does it make if it's signed or not? Bizarrely it makes all the difference. I'd have loved one of them. 

Go and find Hooky with yr BBPH and a sharpie and I'm sure he'll gladly give the back of it a defacing it'll never forget

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Better than having 1 of 5 would be having him write 

Peter Hook: One of One

and it's easy to imagine him getting on board with that sentiment. 

I sold him a flea bass for Jack in about 2009/10 so he’s my mate 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Go and find Hooky with yr BBPH and a sharpie and I'm sure he'll gladly give the back of it a defacing it'll never forget

Puts me in mind of Noel Gallagher with Wayne Rooneys Les Paul. 

"I got this rambling letter from Coleen Rooney saying 'it's Wayne's 21st.  He's a huge fan.  It'd be great if you could sign it for him.' 

"And I was like 'cheeky, what?'

"So, I took all the parts off it, got my mate who is a decorator to dip it in sky blue emulsion paint, wait for it to dry, put all the parts back on it, graffitied it with quite questionable Man City songs and sent it back to him with letter saying, 'Happy birthday, Sponge Bob.  Next time you want ‘owt signing send us your Bentley.’

• Haha 2

Would you both gig a BBPH? Must admit I'd be worried about getting it damaged ie it would end up as more of a collector's item and get home use only from me, not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that. 

Case in point is my BB 2005 which has already had two full band rehearsals and a gig under its belt in the two weeks I've had it (and I'm loving it!) which is three more outings than I managed with my NE2 while I had the privilege of owning it. 

9 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Would you both gig a BBPH? Must admit I'd be worried about getting it damaged ie it would end up as more of a collector's item and get home use only from me, not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that. 

Case in point is my BB 2005 which has already had two full band rehearsals and a gig under its belt in the two weeks I've had it (and I'm loving it!) which is three more outings than I managed with my NE2 while I had the privilege of owning it. 

So a used BB1200s would be better but then! :D

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

If it sounded good I would. I’ve gigged vintage and custom shop stuff. No point owning it if it’s not getting played.

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

If it sounded good I would. I’ve gigged vintage and custom shop stuff. No point owning it if it’s not getting played.

Know where you're coming from - although plenty of our fellow BC'ers are not in bands and still happily managing to play their basses and getting a lot of pleasure from doing so. But not playing a quality musical instrument at all (whether at home, band rehearsals or at gigs) would be a shame.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Know where you're coming from - although plenty of our fellow BC'ers are not in bands and still happily managing to play their basses and getting a lot of pleasure from doing so. But not playing a quality musical instrument at all (whether at home, band rehearsals or at gigs) would be a shame.

Well yeah, more that - meant stuff needs to be played, but if I get my Wal in the next few years, I’m gigging it. And wearing a belt 😂😉

• Like 2

I'd happily gig mine. But I'm pretty careful with my basses anyway when gigging. I've yet to do any damage other than fingernail marks and the usual fret wear. 

It probably won't get gigged at the moment as it's not right for the band image wise, but that's only because I have more visually suitable basses. If this was my only bass I'd be gigging it all the time. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Well yeah, more that - meant stuff needs to be played, but if I get my Wal in the next few years, I’m gigging it. And wearing a belt 😂😉

If I'm wearing a belt I put it through starting one loop to the left so that the buckle is to left. 

Makes taking yer troosers off more difficult but saves your bass. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Annoyingly the wood on my PH is nicer on the back than the front. 

Being three pieces and a translucent finish, it shows on the front but blends together nicely on the back. 

It's much nicer in the flesh which I'm sure glad about. 

The maple sandwich looks nice though. It's just glorified plywood. 😁

Gratuitous pics. 😉

stnP7Z6.jpeg

BpCMuRm.jpeg

• Like 4