Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

For £300, I was delighted to get exactly the model I wanted in excellent condition strung with new and good quality strings, at the exact moment I wanted it, delivered. 

Especially as a few months earlier I had paid almost twice that for a bass that didn't suit me, that needed setting up and which came strung with twangy Daddarios that did the poor thing no good at all.

Amongst the huge pile of money I've pushed in a bassward direction in that 12 months, that £300 stands clear as the only sensible, restrained bit.

Once I had got my Matt Freeman up to a level where I am just about as pleased with it as I am with the 424, I had spent £600. No regrets, but still, it makes the 424 look an absolute bargain.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

Think £350 is top dollar on these - think I listed a couple for this but they had a brand new £60 Gotoh bridge apiece and new strings on each and I think a choice of pickguards.

anyhow - someone may pay £400 if it’s a specific model they’re after.

And don’t forget the AT set up and once over. 😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

For £300, I was delighted to get exactly the model I wanted in excellent condition strung with new and good quality strings, at the exact moment I wanted it, delivered. 

Especially as a few months earlier I had paid almost twice that for a bass that didn't suit me, that needed setting up and which came strung with twangy Daddarios that did the poor thing no good at all.

Amongst the huge pile of money I've pushed in a bassward direction in that 12 months, that £300 stands clear as the only sensible, restrained bit.

Once I had got my Matt Freeman up to a level where I am just about as pleased with it as I am with the 424, I had spent £600. No regrets, but still, it makes the 424 look an absolute bargain.

I've owned a 424 and currently a 425 and I think they are  the best value basses ive ever played. £300-50 still gets you a bass easily equal in quality to Fenders Mexican or later Japanese models (the Early MIJ are exceptional), which are going for three times as much £££ used.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, lee650 said:

I've owned a 424 and currently a 425 and I think they are  the best value basses ive ever played. £300-50 still gets you a bass easily equal in quality to Fenders Mexican or later Japanese models (the Early MIJ are exceptional), which are going for three times as much £££ used.

I think we're just all adjusting to what folk are willing to pay and given they ain't making these "2-Series" Yamahas anymore and the 424/5s are clearly great basses, it's not surprising that prices are creeping up. 

They were temporarily going for £270 to £280 new four years back as retailers looked to clear them off their floors and knocked the prices right down in end-of-line sales. That had a direct knock-on to used prices which saw vgc used ones going for the £200 mark. 

But those days are now long gone. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hacksawbob said:

So glad you picked this up, I had an attack of the 'raving must haves' had the message primed and ready to go but this bb shaped hole wouldn't sit nicely in the finances!  :)

Cheers @Hacksawbob! I know exactly what you mean about the cravings the BB 2005 model seems to induce in some of us - it's done that to me on several occasions!

It is a beautifully designed bass and although I do particularly love a white finish on a Yamaha, the natural wood finish also allows the mahogany stripes in the neck-through to be seen and not masked as is the case with the white and black. 

Have you previously owned one of these? @martfitz - I think I came across a post recently which mentioned you had a BB 1500A, a BB 2005 and previously had a BB 2004? You're clearly way ahead of me in discovering the delights of the BB JJ series!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Have you previously owned one of these? 

No, maybe one day. My ability on the bass doesn't really justify it at the mo having played rhytm guitar for many years bass is quite new to me and revived my interest in playing music. I have a bass for every occassion right now while I find my sound. A BB425 (rounds), BB350f (Flats), Ibanez 305 (flats) Fenix short scale and a MIM Precision I have on long term loan. If I can't get the sound I want out of that lot it's down to my technique, the rest is just gas! Glad it went to a good home, or I might have been looking for a new one! :)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, lee650 said:

I've owned a 424 and currently a 425 and I think they are  the best value basses ive ever played

Ideally, we want the undervalued 424/5s to keep drifting up in price, and the slightlysteep 2024/5s to carry on slipping down ... until the upgrade only costs another fiver or so ... 😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Hacksawbob said:

So glad you picked this up, I had an attack of the 'raving must haves' had the message primed and ready to go but this bb shaped hole wouldn't sit nicely in the finances!  :)

Yeah I was about to list my Fender P to try and get it. Bargains like thst don't hang around long.

4 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Found the right paint for refinishing a boring natural BB2024x

5cd61c87-60f5-46ca-b02e-773d6f32a8d8-jpe

edit: just remembered – there was no natural 2024x .... but there was a 'vintage sunburst' in need of covering up

I like what you’re thinking 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I like what you’re thinking 

59 minutes ago, EJWW said:

Anyone seen the yamaha Riki Santamaria custom BB with single humbucker? Seriously sexy looking beast, would make a very worthwhile production instrument IMO

Have looked at both ideas.

the BB424x in silver or blue flake was going to end up £450 ish as a refin.

So I stopped.

And the MM sound is good, but I’ve found with the right bit of eq and switch changed to a blend, you can get quite close to a MM sound - my 350 with the reverse P even more so.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dean Vincent said:

Do you still have to damp the strings with those single bridges?

Not sure I got your Q, Dean - could you elaborate for me please? I'm certainly not using any external dampener or needing to palm-mute unless I deliberate choose to for effect.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dean Vincent said:

I think you've already answered it thanks Al - when you said you don't need to palm mute - I do on my 424s but as a learner it does me good to develop the habit.

I'm now kinda intrigued as to why you have to palm mute on your 424? It's not something I came across with my 425 and not something other folk have mentioned about their 424s previously. What are you finding happens if you don't palm mute? Just wondering if there is something about the set-up that could fix this easily for you?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dean Vincent said:

I think you've already answered it thanks Al - when you said you don't need to palm mute - I do on my 424s but as a learner it does me good to develop the habit.

Are you playing with a pic or fingers? 

Purists avert your eyes! 

I found the stock bridge pickup a bit anemic and noisy in the bb350f. The pup route is not standard though as it has rounded ends rather than squared like a Fender. I had an Enwhistle jbxn lying around so I printed a new pup cover for it to adapt to the Yammy rout! I might get closer for the exact holes at some point but this will do for testing. 

IMG_20211002_214221.jpg

• Like 5