Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

Bought some Mad strong glue a while ago to sort some toy for one of the kids.

While waiting for the permanent fix, I thought I’d chance it.

I reckon it will hold up. For a week.

GHS boomers applied.

Going to live with it as is - but currently investigating having the brass surrounds, bridge and knobs replated by a trumpet maker I know.

And if memory serves from my experience with a 2024…the 1600 wins the acoustics test - it’s absolutely alive.

F359700C-975B-4153-81C5-825426CF9D8F.jpeg

• Like 6

I've just properly set up my 424, the works, nut slots, neck relief, saddles etc, and have just spent a couple of hours playing it. It really does play like a dream now. 

I balanced the pickup heights to get everything even between pickups and across the board and I really like how the reverse P mod has turned out. Lovely warm, punchy top end. 

I plugged in a chorus pedal and played along with far too much Joy Division, it really does those melodic lines on the G string with the D string droning to a tee now. 

Which has upped my gas for a BBPH now. This mod was supposed to quash that need. 🙄😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 24/09/2021 at 16:39, AndyTravis said:

I’ve walked away right now.

why do some people act like this is ok, the bass is absolutely filthy too. 

not just old. It smells.

i am Determined to save it.

The bodywork and neck are really clean now I’ve got the layers of dead skin off.

I want to swear a lot.

I had been looking at that BB1600 Andy and noticed in pic4 that the frets were quite green and indicated the fretboard was quite filthy and lots of DNA so you had a bit of work to do on it by the looks of things, in spite of the issues are you happy with the sound...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, briansbrew said:

I had been looking at that BB1600 Andy and noticed in pic4 that the frets were quite green and indicated the fretboard was quite filthy and lots of DNA so you had a bit of work to do on it by the looks of things, in spite of the issues are you happy with the sound...

All DNA removed…took two hours - whole strip down mate - (you know I keep basses clean).

It sounds fab.

Some more work to do. But plays, and sounds great, absolutely brilliant. 

Will attempt some recordings later tomorrow.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15u4OLhWo3PzCm2ExTylRkHcTB-wQamgA/view?usp=drivesdk

very brief - between coming back from the cinema (paw patrol the movie…🤦🏻‍♂️) and baths for the girls.

Very unimaginative, but there we go. The bb. With GHS boomers - which are ace.

that BB sounds great Andy, you bagged that one before me LOL, nice playing by the way....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 25/09/2021 at 22:06, bubinga5 said:

what do you guys think about the BB434.?

This seems to have gone unnoticed. 

I've no experience of any of the newer series of BB's so can't help but hopefully this reply will stir a response from someone who has. 

8 minutes ago, Maude said:

This seems to have gone unnoticed. 

I've no experience of any of the newer series of BB's so can't help but hopefully this reply will stir a response from someone who has. 

Yeah, I really don’t know anything about the new stuff.

I think even my bb414 is classed as vintage 😂

• Like 1