Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

On 19/10/2019 at 13:39, dave_bass5 said:

I too agree about all this MIA,MIJ stuff. I bet my P34 would play and sound exactly the same if it was made with the same hardware and treatment, but not in Japan. 

On 19/10/2019 at 14:11, AndyTravis said:

I’ve never ever put any credibility into those opinions/statements.

”mij Fenders are brilliant” - some are, I’ve played some Japanese fender dogs, and by the same token some amazing and terrible MIM ones. Same goes for USA built.

we once got 8 new 2008 jazz basses in at once and 5 were great, 2 were underwhelming, and I sent one back - just horrific. 

I don’t believe that geography has a bearing on wether or not a bass is any good.

That’s before you take into account what each individual player wants.

but if it helps, I owned several Japanese BB’s and some Taiwanese ones at the same time. There was nothing between them, quality wise.

I kept the 414, which is Indonesian. And “lesser”. Sits proudly with a jazz bass and Modulus which if I bought new now I’d have to spend £10,000 to replace between them. Think it’s cost me £150 in total.

I was just re- reading @pete.young's very helpful comparison of the BB 2005 vs BB NE2 in an earlier post, which I'm about to get some hands-on experience on and really looking forward to.

Happened to come across these two posts at the same time which kinda tie in quite closely with the MII vs MIJ discussion we were having regarding the 1024/5 vs 2024/5.  I guess at the end of the day folk will take a view as to whether the feel of the 2024/5 justifies the massive premium that Yamaha were looking to charge over the 1024/5 and vote with their wallet (or indeed go for something else entirely!)

If I could go into @Woodinblack's mythical store, where everything was free and I could choose one bass, it definitely wouldn't be a 2025 as I'm really very happy with my played-in 1025; it would more likely be an Alembic or Wal. Now where the heck is that store...?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Aye

Cool! How close is this to being a roughly correct wall of shame entry for you now then: currently - 414, 1600 (incoming), BB350F(refretted)  (prev: 200, 300, 350f, 1100s, 1300, 614, 714BS, 1024x, G4sII)?

18 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

Interesting idea a list like this. Mine would be (with several multiple items of one number) 300, 414,414x,424,424x,614,1000ma,1024x,3000,3000ma. What a waste of money 🙈

Oh you should see his "all the basses I've ever had" thread for the full picture!!

And Andy's had more than one of most of these basses too!

Check out the very first post on this mega-thread for our collective "wall of shame" of Yammy BBs, which is there for a bit of fun (plus we can also pick the brains of some specific BB owners for their experience).

But was it a waste of money, or did it give you a lot of fun and pleasure along the way?

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Cool! How close is this to being a roughly correct wall of shame entry for you now then: currently - 414, 1600 (incoming), BB350F(refretted)  (prev: 200, 300, 350f, 1100s, 1300, 614, 714BS, 1024x, G4sII)?

Previous list is a bit short 1100s x 2, 3 x 424x (red/white/burst)

415, 425x, 350f x 2. 450.

beyond help really…

300 I’ve had 3. And another is coming in trade…most likely won’t stay, but never say never.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Previous list is a bit short 1100s x 2, 3 x 424x (red/white/burst)

415, 425x, 350f x 2. 450.

beyond help really…

300 I’ve had 3. And another is coming in trade…most likely won’t stay, but never say never.

Agreed about the beyond help, but as long as the missus is on board that's all that counts! 😁

(I'm not currently listing duplicates on the original OP - it's mainly to highlight who has actually owned which models, in case we need to pick folks brains plus a bit of fun...besides youve got your wonderful mega list on another thread which has gotta be one of the most liked posts of all time!) 

• Like 1

So the full list of BBs over the time is 3x300, 4x414,3x424, 2x424x,2x614, 5x1000ma, 2x1600, 2x3000, 2x3000ma.  Still in da house are only 3x1000ma and 1x300. I was about to buy a 734 and a 434m several times but I do love the 1000ma's so much that I don't want to mess arround with other BBs seriously any more 😛 

Calling them my  "corona handcrafting project" I bought three Harley Benton Telcasters basses in in the last 1,5 years and pimped them to beauties. (The last one arrived yesterday, so it will have to be done on that bass) The first two I bought even used for a few bucks and I can tell you they do that vintage P sound unbelivable good. 

Edited by gobasserk
  • Like 2

Just now, Reggaebass said:

Has it snapped Andy, if not, wouldn’t a metal glue fix it 

I’ve walked away right now.

why do some people act like this is ok, the bass is absolutely filthy too. 

not just old. It smells.

i am Determined to save it.

The bodywork and neck are really clean now I’ve got the layers of dead skin off.

I want to swear a lot.

• Sad 1