Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

12 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I chose a 414 over a 1024x.

I stuck with my 414 over a 424x (well, 3 in fact).

The real test would be 414 vs 2024 or bb1600, which is what the 2024 is most closely related to.

Yup, I did exactly the same. I have more precise criteria tho; light as poss, neck slim as poss. I don't think the 2024 would be light enough or have a slim enough neck for me to part with four figures, especially now I've replaced the bridge and tuners on my 414...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Yup, I did exactly the same. I have more precise criteria tho; light as poss, neck slim as poss. I don't think the 2024 would be light enough or have a slim enough neck for me to part with four figures, especially now I've replaced the bridge and tuners on my 414...

Is the 414 neck profile less deep than the 424, more like the 434? Have to agree that the published weights for 2024's are helpfully off-putting :D (as are the targetburst finishes)

• Like 1

Dunno about the 424, I kinda missed that one out, but the 414 is a shallower neck than the 1024 (and the 3000A, and the 1100S). And it's a lighter bass, too...I need a white BB for a particular band, this is about as good as I'm gonna get, and, bonus time, it's not cost me much at all... 😃

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Dunno about the 424, I kinda missed that one out, but the 414 is a shallower neck than the 1024

The published specs for the 424 1024 and 2024 necks are identical. Whether they actually feel the same in the hand is another matter, I suppose, what with the endless variety of possible curved lines going from A to B via C.

My hand absolutely loves the 424 neck, so it's useful for hear that the orange metallic delight would be less suitable for me – pushes temptation away :)

• Like 1

I've a vintage white BB414 which is very good. 

The fact of the matter is that with the 414 yamaha revived the BB series which had IMO veered away from the classic BB style. 

The 414 is a great rock bass, it looks sexy and is well made for a great low price. 

Everything produced since then has been trying to improve aspects that really don't need improving like fancy through body bridge, multi-laminate neck etc.

The 2024 should have at least been produced with some exclusive colours to justify the mega price hike over the 1024.

Let's face it the 414 should be Yamaha's equivalent of the P bass.

They should take a leaf out of Fender's book and don't mess with it!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, EJWW said:

Everything produced since then has been trying to improve aspects that really don't need improving

The 414 is very good, and it’s got a single action truss rod I believe, which failed on mine, the 1024 which I’ve got now has a double action one which I think is a good improvement, apart from that I would definitely have another 

• Like 3

In fact, the "new" BBs are built different from the older ones. Even my cheap 300 is featuring different wood and the neck is not even close to the 414 (and younger) basses. 

I would not dare to say the new range is cheaper, cause the 414 (and younger) basses are following new attributes like lighter bodies and more modern necks. Soundwise all BBs are (in my opinion) 
high class. Not a Precision clone because they all sound very BB-ish 😄  Love the Precision or BBs. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

I reckon a shootout between a 37/8 year old bb1600 and 2024 would be a good shout…

not many folk would have both I’d guess.

Well if you're after a 1600 you may as well get a 2024 as well and report back. 

I'll be over here waiting for the results. 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Maude said:

Well if you're after a 1600 you may as well get a 2024 as well and report back. 

I'll be over here waiting for the results. 😁

Cough. Got no money for a 2024.

got no money at all in fact.

gone. Ppppooof. Like magic.

neeeeeed that tune to sell.

😵💫 - That bloody 1600 has gone off eBay an all…

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 1

LOL.... imagining Andy waiting for the delivery guy... I recall a fun song that a friend of mine and I did some years ago...it is a song all about waiting for the "DHL" delivery guy every day 😄 
You got to know that my friend is one of the biggest gear heads I know !!! He buys only used stuff and there might be not a single day on what not at least another pedal is on its way to him 😛 
That's how he came to the idea to write this song. Last time we counted his pedal board consistet of 99 pedals...  He is so deep into the pedal stuff that he buys the same effect from different years to learn how they differ in sound...

Vocals are easy (even 'though it's German) "I want the DHL guy (man) to appear, DHL guy get here now" , "I could live my live but I'm sitting here waiting for the DHL guy" and so on.

Recorded in the living room, bass (BB1000MA - what else) via an old Hartke VXL Attack into the computer.  

DEHALEL (DHL)

Edited by gobasserk
  • Like 2