Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

3 hours ago, gobasserk said:

So I finally sent back the Tech21 DP pedal because during testing some of my pedals I discovered that my old (and forgotten) Hartke VXL Attack does a better sound than the dp. At least for the things I want it for. 
Here now a recording of the Hartke vs. my YYZ . Even here I like the Hartke better. Strange and funny 😛  Recoded the way Andy likes it: Bass-pedal-littel 25 watts combo- smartphone. 😉 

BB1000ma_HartkeVXL_YYZ

I liked both clips a lot. The first clip with the Hartke is a bit more mid-scooped than the second, so my guess is that it will sound 'sweeter' solo'd but I suspect the second set up with the YYZ will cut through better in a band mix? Would you agree?

I've got a YYZ waiting patiently in a box from a fellow BC'er waiting to be opened - was too busy getting our set list material up to scratch for a wedding gig last night to unwrap it yet, but looking forward to giving it a spin. I had a really useful exchange with one of the chaps from Tech 21, on another thread, who recommended using the cab sim on all their pedals as they are voiced to operate with the cab sim engaged.

Must admit I'm kinda glad you've ditched the DP-3X; sounds like you've come to the same conclusion it wasn't working for you. Certainly the previous recordings you made with it were completely not my cup of tea at all and very much at odds to your other recordings which I'm a fan of! 

50 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@Maude - great job on that bass! If that reverse-P J option was available from Yamaha (on a 5er) I would be getting one!

Thanks. 🙂

I've just string it up and had a play, and the highs really sing now. 

It needs a proper set up tomorrow and balance the pickups, but first impressions are it will be a monster. 

It's like a long lost relative to my Variax now. 

U0bHpdj.jpg

• Like 1

So if you'd like to provide a loving stable "forever" home to a BB that's been left in a loft, or no longer gigged due to basschat "Glass back syndrome". Contact Dr Travs, BB relocation and restoration service! A few months ago he very kindly took delivery of a vintage white BB425 from a very lovely man, which he stripped down and setup. And brought to live with my flock. He even fitted a BB1025/P35 bridge which a nice man on BC was selling.

Not two days ago he brought to live with me an 80s BB350f fretless in Pearl White (It goes pink in the sunlight, awesome) from a funny fellow in eBay land, that probably used it as a doorstop or something. he replaced a broken bridge and gave it his famous TLC, he even gave it a chance to be fretted, but it still wants to identify as a fretless in as world that isn't kind to fretless. So if you have it in your heart to love a BB that currently is about as popular as an excitable dog at a miss lovelylegs contest, please donate to Dr Travs and his team of magical elves.

So I present my two current BB'S

"The White Sisters"

BB425 in vintage white with an upgraded Yamaha vintage + bridge AKA - Jayne

BB350f in pearl White AKA- Luna

Another shout out to the lovely @Hacksawbob for tracing his 5 string pickguard, which means Jayne will be getting a new Tort frock 😁

20210827_181420.thumb.jpg.122b3bdaed7d9a2615f6deab8327887e.jpg

20210827_193342.jpg

20210826_110433.jpg

Edited by lee650
  • Like 9

13 hours ago, lee650 said:

So if you'd like to provide a loving stable "forever" home to a BB that's been left in a loft, or no longer gigged due to basschat "Glass back syndrome". Contact Dr Travs, BB relocation and restoration service! A few months ago he very kindly took delivery of a vintage white BB425 from a very lovely man, which he stripped down and setup. And brought to live with my flock. He even fitted a BB1025/P35 bridge which a nice man on BC was selling.

Not two days ago he brought to live with me an 80s BB350f fretless in Pearl White (It goes pink in the sunlight, awesome) from a funny fellow in eBay land, that probably used it as a doorstop or something. he replaced a broken bridge and gave it his famous TLC, he even gave it a chance to be fretted, but it still wants to identify as a fretless in as world that isn't kind to fretless. So if you have it in your heart to love a BB that currently is about as popular as an excitable dog at a miss lovelylegs contest, please donate to Dr Travs and his team of magical elves.

So I present my two current BB'S

"The White Sisters"

BB425 in vintage white with an upgraded Yamaha vintage + bridge AKA - Jayne

BB350f in pearl White AKA- Luna

Another shout out to the lovely @Hacksawbob for tracing his 5 string pickguard, which means Jayne will be getting a new Tort frock 😁

20210827_181420.thumb.jpg.122b3bdaed7d9a2615f6deab8327887e.jpg

20210827_193342.jpg

20210826_110433.jpg

So good to see the bridge being used 🙂🙂. Lovely set of instruments 👍!

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

@AndyTravis  sorry its insisting on tagging you here too 🤷🏻‍♂️

Screenshot_20210831-222827_Chrome.jpg.4df907592747c6c565d784c75cbff4a3.jpgScreenshot_20210831-222841_Chrome.jpg.bdd49807f7cc1e295c12b9a3e3c1f731.jpg

Oh what I'd give to own this bass. Stupid I know, it's just a bass, but JD and (80s) NO, along with The Cure, are the two bands that have always been with me since I got into music. 

It's not often I get all giddy at the thought of owning something, but Hooky's main 1200S, yes please. It'll be way out of my price bracket though. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gobasserk said:

Di I understand right? PH is selling his bass? THE one? I can't belive that ! It should be on his wall...?

Why not? To a lot of people its the bass that made all those records and is worth a fortune, to him, its just some bass he used a lot that is worth a fortune!

• Like 1