Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

4 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

The Manchester to Morecambe Yamaha BB delivery service resumed duties today…

@lee650 and I have promised to raise a glass to MB1😎 as it’s almost as shady as one of his car park deals…

A pub next to a railway.

336B184D-2AE3-4ABF-A6E3-9C32EA891608.jpeg

Yeah my babies!! Very pleased with the BB350F. And the amazing Mr Travis is fitting an upgraded BB1025/P35 vintage plus bridge to the 425 😍

Edited by lee650
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

The Manchester to Morecambe Yamaha BB delivery service resumed duties today…

@lee650 and I have promised to raise a glass to MB1😎 as it’s almost as shady as one of his car park deals…

A pub next to a railway.

336B184D-2AE3-4ABF-A6E3-9C32EA891608.jpeg

I must say that fretless looks amazing..

About 2 months ago - bbp35 bridge appeared on the marketplace.

@lee650 hated the stock 425 bridge with the mad little extension.

Between us, we sorted it being on his bass.

I did it yesterday and delivered today in a hail of IPA.

AE34288E-195E-4D0E-A70B-DA5A2E078D2E.jpeg

054E7DAC-2BCB-4722-A051-3015D9723B48.jpeg

7631A5F1-F222-4974-B0A0-8D1B93B9325B.jpeg

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

Sunshine??? Nothing but clouds here.

White scratchplate of course??

Of course there's sunshine, 's Cornwall innit. 🤔😆

Black scratchplate I'm afraid, predictable but suits a white BB perfectly. I've gone for solid black rather than three ply black/white/black though, I like the retroness of a solid plate, plus the BB X's are busy enough without an extra white line. 

7t1qhDT.jpg

Here's the pickup surround flipped over, it hasn't got as nice a finish but it's perfectly acceptable. 

OHBv0di.jpg

A quick mock up of the all new BB424XR, will rebuild tonight or tomorrow. 

TIwbXVv.jpg

• Like 6

This is the difference in pickup locations. 

The reverse P is on top of the old plate. 

The EA is only around half a pickups width back from the neck and DG is about one and a half a pickups width nearer the neck. 

Hopefully a good balance. 

6TzQ9nQ.jpg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Maude said:

This is the difference in pickup locations. 

The reverse P is on top of the old plate. 

The EA is only around half a pickups width back from the neck and DG is about one and a half a pickups width nearer the neck. 

Hopefully a good balance. 

6TzQ9nQ.jpg

If I've not got my brain in a twist, your spot is about halfway between where a standard swapped around P is, and where the reverse P on a Mark Hopper is

Screenshot_20210223-134612_Gallery.jpg

1 hour ago, Ricky Rioli said:

If I've not got my brain in a twist, your spot is about halfway between where a standard swapped around P is, and where the reverse P on a Mark Hopper is

Screenshot_20210223-134612_Gallery.jpg

Yes, probably. The BB P pickup is nearer the neck than a standard P bass, and I've reversed them and moved the whole unit towards the neck around a further 10mm. I did work with it out further back in this thread but I think the EA is still nearer the bridge than a standard P bass, I can't remember. 

There's been no big plan really, just that reversing the BB P made it too close to the scratchplate so I moved it forwards a bit. 

The Mark Hoppus looks to be a lot further forwards. 

• Like 2

While I like the sound of the ABM with the 4x10 cab a lot, my heart goes BOOOOM with the additional 2x10. Nothing beats a 6x10 or 8x10 bass rig with an old fashioned transformer head! 😍
2 kg amps suck tonewise and every skilled sound guy will tell you. But it is like with vinyl... young people that never heard a record on a good payer will believe, mp3 is the best possible audio format. 
But I just can't compromise, I know the tonal difference and can tell within seconds (in terms of listening to a bass rig) 

• Like 1

So I finally sent back the Tech21 DP pedal because during testing some of my pedals I discovered that my old (and forgotten) Hartke VXL Attack does a better sound than the dp. At least for the things I want it for. 
Here now a recording of the Hartke vs. my YYZ . Even here I like the Hartke better. Strange and funny 😛  Recoded the way Andy likes it: Bass-pedal-littel 25 watts combo- smartphone. 😉 

BB1000ma_HartkeVXL_YYZ

• Like 1

Gigged a BB424X today. Tamed the low end via my Basswitch and subtle cuts on the provided Fender Rumble combo. It’s a nice alternative to my jazz and comfortable to play. Not as skinny a neck on my jazz and a wee bit thicker than my p bass but overall pleasing! The P bass has the “B” neck which is probably the neck profile which really is a best fit for me. 

I’ve been told if you search on Facebook for ‘ EH32 Live ‘ you’ll see a clip!

Edited by krispn
  • Like 4

All back together ready for restringing and a set up. 

Although in these pictures I noticed the fretboard wood could do with a tiny sand with some micro mesh and a buff up. I gave it a fret dress and although I didn't notice it in the flesh, the pictures show the wood is slightly dulled. 

It's got some lovely grain on the fretboard. 

hYt8kWH.jpg

VxXOzhK.jpg

I'm glad I opted for a single ply black, it's slightly different from the norm and I like it. 

GqO8rW6.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, gobasserk said:

So I finally sent back the Tech21 DP pedal because during testing some of my pedals I discovered that my old (and forgotten) Hartke VXL Attack does a better sound than the dp. At least for the things I want it for. 
Here now a recording of the Hartke vs. my YYZ . Even here I like the Hartke better. Strange and funny 😛  Recoded the way Andy likes it: Bass-pedal-littel 25 watts combo- smartphone. 😉 

BB1000ma_HartkeVXL_YYZ

Is the Hartke first in that clip? If so I might have to look out for one!