Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

8 minutes ago, Fil1ip said:

£1850 +£50 postage a Peter Hook BB has just sold for 😲

I was watching that one out of curiosity. A decent Indonesian-assembled bass guitar. Well worth £950.

At the Ebay price above- they're welcome to it. I bet they won't even play it.

1 minute ago, EJWW said:

I was watching that one out of curiosity. A decent Indonesian-assembled bass guitar. Well worth £950.

At the Ebay price above- they're welcome to it. I bet they won't even play it.

At £899 in pmt new seemed a fair price, that sort of money is getting into a different territory 

33 minutes ago, andy67 said:

Why would someone pay £1900 for a bass the could buy new for £899? Am I missing something?

You can't buy it new, though, there seems to have been only one single batch of them, and it's now been scrubbed from Yamaha's online catalogue.

Now prices have climbed, people at least feel safe paying them because they know that they'll probably lose nothing on it if they decide to sell later on.

• Like 2

On 12/06/2021 at 17:23, mikeycrikey said:

I had the 1024x  too and used it on all my gigs, mainly because it cost more than the 424x  but eventually I realised I prefer the tone of the the 424x, so the 1024x was sold on.

What was the main difference you found mikey 

8 hours ago, Maude said:

Just had a message that mine is being delivered today, I wasn't expecting it until Friday. 

Excellent news, apart from I'm at work twenty miles away and nobody else is home. 

Fingers crossed they leave it somewhere as my property is safe/quiet enough, rather than take it back to a depot to be thrown around. 

🤞

Tracking lies. 🥺

• Sad 1

One of the main things was the 424x had chromes on it, which I really like.

The 1024x had nickel round wounds on it. It did sound very good for lots of different genres but without being able to nail the differences I just preferred the 424x. 

At one point I strung them both with nickel round wounds and they sounded very close to each other. 

Ultimately I needed to make some space for an incoming purchase and I decided there was more resale value in the 1024x. So that was sold on and I kept the 424x. I have no regrets moving it on. Just think the 424x does everything I need at a much cheaper price than the 1024x.

The Build quality was definitely better on the 1024x, neck construction, nut, different neck pickup But the 424x is no slouch and just really good work horse.

Ultimately the 1024x was sold on to pay for a precision bass.

5 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

What was the main difference you found mikey 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

She's arrived according to UPS. 

It's leant against the south facing front door, slowly cooking in the afternoon sun until I get home at six. 

Opposite the front door is a five metre square gated undercover area. 

Nevermind 🙄 🤣

Yay, it's here and all is good! 

I had to go out this evening so it was a quick unpackage to check over and that was it. 

But it's oh so sexy, really nice looking and at first glance appears to be in excellent condition. It's smaller than I expected, but I have been playing a Jack Casady and Ric 4005 mainly and they're both stupidly large. 

Tomorrow I'll give it a proper try out. 

But at the mo I'm a very happy chappy! 

🙂

• Like 4

The BB 414 from BD arrived and apart from a dent on the bottom edge next to the input jack, it is remarkably good condition for a 11 year old bass. And everything works which is a bonus!

Stuck on a set of old GHS flats and it sounds really good. For the price of a Squier Affinity, I have a good quality bass that looks good.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

The BB 414 from BD arrived and apart from a dent on the bottom edge next to the input jack, it is remarkably good condition for a 11 year old bass. And everything works which is a bonus!

Stuck on a set of old GHS flats and it sounds really good. For the price of a Squier Affinity, I have a good quality bass that looks good.

They really are such great cheap basses and they look proper rock and roll. I really think that the most recent line of BBs has lost a bit of that classic rawness.

I'm convinced that my vintage white BB414 is a keeper although I've said that so many times about basses in the past....

• Like 2

On 02/08/2021 at 20:19, jezzaboy said:

Just spotted a 2010 black 424 at BD priced at £211 including postage. 9/10 condition according to the advert. I don`t need it but they look cool as in the black so what the heck 9_9

1 hour ago, jezzaboy said:

Thought you were getting a 424 (which was partly why I thought you'd got a really good price!) - did you end up getting a 414 instead? 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Thought you were getting a 424 (which was partly why I thought you'd got a really good price!) - did you end up getting a 414 instead? 

Aye, my bad. I`m always getting the bloomin Yammy numbers mixed up! It is a 424. :dash1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1