Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

That blue BEX is a bit steep isnt it!? 

They've seen the ludicrously overpriced ones from Japan on ebay and thought we'll have some of that. 

Oh yeah, and don't go blaming me for your BEX lust on your for sale thread @AndyTravis 😁

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I hope so. She’d let me have the money for that too.

showed her an 84 Wal the other day -

“if one comes up at £5000 when you’re turning 40, I’ll sort it.”

”if it’s more than 5k?”

”Within a grand or so”

cor blimey…

And she wonders why you haven't married Yamaha?! 😄 😄 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

I hope so. She’d let me have the money for that too.

showed her an 84 Wal the other day -

“if one comes up at £5000 when you’re turning 40, I’ll sort it.”

”if it’s more than 5k?”

”Within a grand or so”

cor blimey…

Mrs Travis is a rare woman!

• Thanks 1

On 27/03/2021 at 19:47, Al Krow said:

PS if you've got a BB 434 (pics please!) I'm guessing you won't find very much difference tonally to the 1024 so I personally wouldn't look to get both. In the same way my having a 1025 means I've not really been tempted to get a 435. But I think you have both a 434 and 1024 now? So you'll be able to share your thoughts on that.

I've posted a fair bit on my thoughts about the 735A vs the 1025 vs P35, so I think I've said my bit on that score! @javi_bassist is loving his 734A and 735A 

Many months later, but I really got into my 434 and finally took a nice shot of it. I've got a gig on Sat and I think she's going to be my main. 

I also bought a black sparkle BB1100s which was a rash decision mourning the loss of the BBP34. It is nice but still too heavy. 

I'm trying VERY hard to resist the BBP34 in the Marketplace... 

20210725_121608.jpg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, yourfurryfiend said:

Many months later, but I really got into my 434 and finally took a nice shot of it. I've got a gig on Sat and I think she's going to be my main. 

I also bought a black sparkle BB1100s which was a rash decision mourning the loss of the BBP34. It is nice but still too heavy. 

I'm trying VERY hard to resist the BBP34 in the Marketplace... 

20210725_121608.jpg

Still tempted by a teal one of these…

• Like 2

If you remeber ..I put off the pu rings of the 1000ma ...they are gold now...will be on their way to me tomorrow 🙂 
Still waiting for the gold bridge..it will come from the UK...we will see how customs work these days...

And because it is a boring sunday I fiddled arround with some basses and played the 1000ma in P style mode because the J-pu falls in to the body cause it is fixed with the pu ring usualy...the P sytle pu works cause the ring is only optics...

So as usual..Yamaha bass, cable, SDRUM pedal for the beat and a yyz for some sound...smartphone in front of a little HD20 Hartke combo. That's it. And just some weird riff that I figured out in 5 minutes. So nothing fancy. 

BB1000ma P style mode

Edited by gobasserk
  • Like 2

Just now, gobasserk said:

What strings are you using on your BB's? I usually string them with D'Addario steels. But on the red BB of the recording I tested some Rotos. I'll stick to the D'Addarios...

I’ve been using d’addario, but spotted some fenders at £13 a set so bought a load.

think these had come to me with 45-105’s and I’ve gone down to 45-100, not huge jump but they had mega low action to start with…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gobasserk said:

Al, can you hear the more straight sound of the reverse pu in the recording? It is not as boomy as a normal P.... I like this, every sound guy loves it 🙂 

My impression from the first note was that it sounded great and a sound I would be more than happy to have.

It is definitely "tighter" than the normal BB P pup, but I wonder how much of that is due to the YYZ and how much is down to the reverse P? 

2 hours ago, gobasserk said:

If you remeber ..I put off the pu rings of the 1000ma ...they are gold now...will be on their way to me tomorrow 🙂 
Still waiting for the gold bridge..it will come from the UK...we will see how customs work these days...

And because it is a boring sunday I fiddled arround with some basses and played the 1000ma in P style mode because the J-pu falls in to the body cause it is fixed with the pu ring usualy...the P sytle pu works cause the ring is only optics...

So as usual..Yamaha bass, cable, SDRUM pedal for the beat and a yyz for some sound...smartphone in front of a little HD20 Hartke combo. That's it. And just some weird riff that I figured out in 5 minutes. So nothing fancy. 
BB1000ma P style mode

35 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

It's the pu position. The YYZ makes the sound more beafy... rather fat than thinner..! 

BB1000MA P-Mode (YYZ)

I'm now a little confused - are both clips with YYZ pedal?

PS I think @Ricky Rioli may well be interested in this discussion - he had a whole thread going on the subject of the reverse P!

Edited by Al Krow

Reversing the P pickup is quite high up on the possibles to do list when my 424x arrives. 

It mainly depends on how the pickup ring has been made, and what it looks like flipped over. 

The routing and a new pickguard are the easy bit. 

The pickup ring could be left off if the underside isn't pretty, but I really like the look of them. 

It should be here by the end of the week so we'll see. 

Or go the whole hog and have double reverse P like Lee Sklars Presicion, albeit with the J still there. 

10 minutes ago, Maude said:

Reversing the P pickup is quite high up on the possibles to do list when my 424x arrives. 

It mainly depends on how the pickup ring has been made, and what it looks like flipped over. 

The routing and a new pickguard are the easy bit. 

The pickup ring could be left off if the underside isn't pretty, but I really like the look of them. 

It should be here by the end of the week so we'll see. 

Or go the whole hog and have double reverse P like Lee Sklars Presicion, albeit with the J still there. 

They’re countersunk on the top Face - I know because I have a gold set I was going to use but can’t…

1 hour ago, Maude said:

I know the P pickup is a little closer to the neck than the trad P-spot. Will you simply swap the E/A and D/G positions? or leave the D/G in its place and move the E/A to the other side of it?