Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

2 hours ago, Maude said:

Or ignore them both and get the blue SBV on gumtree. 😲

I see you've bought that BB which is a great call. The SBV used to belong to me and its a super cool bass, also already neatly routed for a battery compartment and plenty space for a preamp. If I hadn't just bought a Sire and a new watch I'd probably buy it back 😂

3 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

I see you've bought that BB which is a great call. The SBV used to belong to me and its a super cool bass, also already neatly routed for a battery compartment and plenty space for a preamp. If I hadn't just bought a Sire and a new watch I'd probably buy it back 😂

I think I'd like to try an SBV first before I committed to see what the neck dive is like. I don't overly worry about such things normally, but with a very short top horn and a very long neck/headstock it might be more of a quirky bass to own, rather than the true gigging machine that the BB is. 

Super cool looking though. 

Just now, Maude said:

I think I'd like to try an SBV first before I committed to see what the neck dive is like. I don't overly worry about such things normally, but with a very short top horn and a very long neck/headstock it might be more of a quirky bass to own, rather than the true gigging machine that the BB is. 

I had one on short term loan.

much like Thunderbirds, it looked stupid on me - absolutely loved how it sounded and played.

1 hour ago, Maude said:

Aaaaaaaaand... 

... I'm back in the club. 😁

Congrats!

White is the best colour. Orange is simply the new black. 

Wall of shame updated on the OP - if you want to let me know what your prev BBs were I can update for that too.

General caveat wording now put against Andy T's entries 😁

18 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Congrats!

White is the best colour. Orange is simply the new black. 

Wall of shame updated on the OP - if you want to let me know what your prev BBs were I can update for that too.

General caveat wording now put against Andy T's entries 😁

Cheers 🙂👍

Only had one other BB, a G5S.

My first 'real' bass was a Seafoam green Attitude Special, had that for a couple of years, then traded that in for the brand new BBG5S which I gigged solidly for about ten years as my only bass. Then had a break and when I got back into it I bought an RBX374 and for some reason went back to solely playing four strings. I only sold the BBG5S last year as I just couldn't part with it, but in reality I'd never play it again. 

I think this is why every time I play a Yammy it's like coming home. 

My only other Yam at the mo is my tobacco burst BEX4. 

UBlF99G.jpg

• Like 2

The BEX is just something really special IMO. 

The soapbar sounds superb in a band mix and is just so easy to make it sound good. 

They look lovely too. 

Stupidly cheap for such a good bass. 

• Like 1

Just now, Maude said:

The BEX is just something really special IMO. 

The soapbar sounds superb in a band mix and is just so easy to make it sound good. 

They look lovely too. 

Stupidly cheap for such a good bass. 

Yeah - always come up at the wrong time, like…a bb has just arrived and stolen some money…

Just now, AndyTravis said:

Upset @Al Krowthat you’ve missed the following 

415 orange

425x sunburst

424x sunburst 

1300 blue

1100s burst (mk1)

1100s white (mk2)

from my “had” list

and

424x white

424x red

450 sunburst 

in the current stable.

keep up Doris.

Hehe - it's not physically poss to keep up witj your immense BB flow! 

I think my caveat wording has it generally covered (no?) and we can do an annual update on 1 Jan each year going forward, just for you. 😁

Just now, Al Krow said:

Hehe - it's not physically poss to keep up witj your immense BB flow! 

I think my caveat wording has it generally covered (no?) and we can do an annual update on 1 Jan each year going forward, just for you. 😁

Start a spreadsheet - see “for all the basses I have loved” thread.

I don’t think I’ve updated that 😂

good Lord I’m such a balloon.

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

Start a spreadsheet - see “for all the basses I have loved” thread.

I don’t think I’ve updated that 😂

good Lord I’m such a balloon.

I did have a look at that recently and perhaps the most "liked" post ever (or getting on for it)? But already desperately out of date...

Now if you can't keep your own posts up to date, what chance have the rest of us?! 😁

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I did have a look at that recently and perhaps the most "liked" post ever (or getting on for it)? But already desperately out of date...

Now if you can't keep your own posts up to date, what chance have the rest of us?! 😁

Mrs Travis always seems to notice.

”you need bloody help you, why don’t you marry Yamaha and have done with it…”

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Maude said:

I had one for a while, but didn't really bond with it. There was no noticeable neck dive with a Comfort Strapp and it played OK, but the pickups were a bit meh and I didn't really like the sound. In the early days of Basschat there was a guy called Paul_C or something like that who had a collection of about 20 of the things.

58 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Mrs Travis always seems to notice.

”you need bloody help you, why don’t you marry Yamaha and have done with it…”

Surely she prefers the cost savings of you marrying Yamaha compared to your previous ménage à trois with Yamaha and your pal Roger?

(Sadowsky for those not on first name terms)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LukeFRC said:

Surely she prefers the cost savings of you marrying Yamaha compared to your previous ménage à trois with Yamaha and your pal Roger?

(Sadowsky for those not on first name terms)

She never forgave me for the white jazz, or the sting CS. The only two basses she ever mentions.

She said the Sting 55 was the coolest bass she’s ever seen.A377C541-2D66-4AD8-B7F8-BF297250D4CE.thumb.jpeg.38014978928a5c2da404526d37993350.jpeg

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, pete.young said:

but the pickups were a bit meh and I didn't really like the sound.

Thank you...you just talked me out of GAS-ing for the blue one on Gumtree.

Apologies for posting this though - I know I'm not the only person who struggles with GAS.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/yamaha-bex-4-blue-bass-guitar/1411307917

2 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Thank you...you just talked me out of GAS-ing for the blue one on Gumtree.

Apologies for posting this though - I know I'm not the only person who struggles with GAS.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/yamaha-bex-4-blue-bass-guitar/1411307917

£950?

Think seller has been sniffing glue…

7 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

She never forgave me for the white jazz, or the sting CS. The only two basses she ever mentions.

She said the Sting 55 was the coolest bass she’s ever seen.A377C541-2D66-4AD8-B7F8-BF297250D4CE.thumb.jpeg.38014978928a5c2da404526d37993350.jpeg

Are you already in the queue if @marleaux62ever wants to sells his Bravewood version?

Just now, LukeFRC said:

Are you already in the queue if @marleaux62ever wants to sells his Bravewood version?

I hope so. She’d let me have the money for that too.

showed her an 84 Wal the other day -

“if one comes up at £5000 when you’re turning 40, I’ll sort it.”

”if it’s more than 5k?”

”Within a grand or so”

cor blimey…

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

I hope so. She’d let me have the money for that too.

showed her an 84 Wal the other day -

“if one comes up at £5000 when you’re turning 40, I’ll sort it.”

”if it’s more than 5k?”

”Within a grand or so”

cor blimey…

Wasn’t there one on here or Facebook last week for about that? (I made a joke to my Mrs that I was buying it) 

• Like 1