Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

Just now, andy67 said:

I haven't as yet but very interested. I like the look, layout and YouTube vids lol :D

You'll have seen from my post earlier, that my 1025 has outlasted two 425s, two 735As a P35 and an NE2. Can't really give it much higher praise or a bigger recommendation than that! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

You'll have seen from my post earlier, that my 1025 has outlasted two 425s, two 735As a P35 and an NE2. Can't really give it much higher praise or a bigger recommendation than that! 

It will be my next purchase providing I can get it past the missus 🤭

5 minutes ago, andy67 said:

It will be my next purchase providing I can get it past the missus 🤭

Tbf as a purely passive bass, I thought the P35 just edged it over the 1025, but the P35 being a 1lb heavier was the deciding factor in me moving that on and holding onto my 1025. And that was actually the exact same reason for the chap selling the P35 to me and the chap who bought it from me - both very experienced BC'ers and both of whom also really rated the quality of the P35 very highly (comments along the lines of "best bass I've played").

I think there's a P34 in the FS right now on for a very good price, and the P34 should also be a little lighter than the P35:

Edited by Al Krow

2 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

In this video, the live bass line is constantly cutting from 424 to 1024 to 2024, all on the neck pickup soloed.

You can hear a relative lack of firmness in the 424's tone, and there's a nice bit of throatiness in the 1024 / 2024.

The 424 has a bit less warmth, a bit more of a hollowed out sound…

maybe that’s what I preferred when I had a 1024x and kept the 414.

they look mega in white.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Just got a sellers offer on this, £325 

Not unreasonable, if it’s in good nick.

there’s not much at that price point which will touch it - it’d take more than £325 to get either of mine.

but in the spirit of bartering - counter offer at £300 😂

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

a bit more of a hollowed out sound…

Maybe that's why I like the GHS Bass Boomers so much on it, gently fills in the spaces. 

Certainly I've never found a single moment when I've wanted the neck pickup on its own, it feels like an ingredient to a successful recipe. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Not unreasonable, if it’s in good nick.

there’s not much at that price point which will touch it - it’d take more than £325 to get either of mine.

but in the spirit of bartering - counter offer at £300 😂

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-BB424X-Bass-/304084783764?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

27 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Just got a sellers offer on this, £325 

Oh, are we doing this again are we? 

I've been eyeing that one up. 

If you get the 424 you'll have to sell me the 1024.

😆

• Haha 2

Just now, Maude said:

Oh, are we doing this again are we? 

I've been eyeing that one up. 

If you get the 424 you'll have to sell me the 1024.

😆

Oh dam, sorry Maude 🤦‍♂️ I didn’t know you were looking at it, I just thought it would help out a BCer if they were looking , I’ll hush my mouth 🤐

7 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Oh dam, sorry Maude 🤦‍♂️ I didn’t know you were looking at it, I just thought it would help out a BCer if they were looking , I’ll hush my mouth 🤐

Nah it's fine, I'm just toying with the idea of the 424. I want a 1024 really, in white with the plates.

But that 424x does look awesome, and I'm tempted. 

• Like 1

There's also a sunburst 424x on ebay at the mo, no bids with two days to go, £275.

There's no point in me considering that as I'd still always be looking for a white one. 

Or ignore them both and get the blue SBV on gumtree. 😲

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

haha. Sat drinking a 0% IPA after a mammoth restring session (dining table doubles as workbench 🤣)

0% IPA shouldn't impact creativity in any way though, so let's put that one down to your natural talent 😁

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

0% IPA shouldn't impact creativity in any way though, so let's put that one down to your natural talent 😁

One thing I have in abundance is a willingness to be creative…the talent bit is elusive - I’ll find it one day (and probably keel over in shock) 🥴😂

I'm so weak! 

I've just offered £300 for the white 424X.

My son started a new job and borrowed £300 off me until his first payday, which I'd forgotten about until he just said, "I'll have your money next week", so really it'll be free if he accepts. 🤔 😁

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Maude said:

I'm so weak! 

I've just offered £300 for the white 424X.

My son started a new job and borrowed £300 off me until his first payday, which I'd forgotten about until he just said, "I'll have your money next week", so really it'll be free if he accepts. 🤔 😁

Just played mine for 20 minutes, lovely new string clang!

He countered £320, so I went back with £310.

He's just come back with £315.

Is it worth messing about over that amount?

I'd have liked to have found one cheaper as a few have sold for the low two hundreds, but this one is a white X and looks in good condition. 

He's put this, 

Message from intro2pete:

Thanks for your offers but this is the lowest, eBay hits too hard with fees unfortunately! Cheers

Edited by Maude

13 minutes ago, Maude said:

He countered £320, so I went back with £310.

He's just come back with £315.

Is it worth messing about over that amount?

I'd have liked to have found one cheaper as a few have sold for the low two hundreds, but this one is a white X and looks in good condition. 

He's put this, 

Message from intro2pete:

Thanks for your offers but this is the lowest, eBay hits too hard with fees unfortunately! Cheers

I’d go for it - if you hate it (which I doubt you will) and sell for £300, it’s cost you £15 to find out you need something else.

if you love it - (which I think you will) it’s a great bass for not much coin.

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 3