Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I did think about white knobs. But the black work also well with the fretboard and pups, and it's a faff to remove and replace the knobs (unless your Andy T, in which case it's a doddle!).

Don't you need a special tool to extract your knobs? (Ooh er... missus!) 😁

They push on/pull off. It’s as easy as changing a string. 

Is the bridge pickup on the 424 properly noiseless, or do I just have am extremely well-shielded instrument?

Searching around I can find a reference to a "noisy" bridge pickup on a 415 and to the 2024 blade pickup being "noiseless". Which doesn't get me very far.

It's only just dawned on me that this is the only single coil pickup I've ever had any experience of – all the guitars and basses I played in my youth had humbuckers or splits – which has led me to be unappreciative of how quiet it is.

9 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Is the bridge pickup on the 424 properly noiseless, or do I just have am extremely well-shielded instrument?

Searching around I can find a reference to a "noisy" bridge pickup on a 415 and to the 2024 blade pickup being "noiseless". Which doesn't get me very far.

It's only just dawned on me that this is the only single coil pickup I've ever had any experience of – all the guitars and basses I played in my youth had humbuckers or splits – which has led me to be unappreciative of how quiet it is.

I’ve not experienced much noise from the bridge unit.

The bridge pup on my 1025 is definitely noisier than the P pup at the neck which is pretty much silent. But it's only ever been really noticeable if I'm standing close up to my rig. 

The flip side is that the bridge pup does have an "edge" from the additional harmonic complexity of the string vibrations closer to the bridge, which allows it to cut through in the mix really well, particularly on the very low notes on the low B strings.

Edited by Al Krow

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

My tinnitus basically makes my world have 60 Cycle hum…so, everything sounds “noiseless” to me 🥴

My tinnitus sounds like silvery cicadas, which just makes me feel like I'm perpetually on some lovely warm summer holiday and someone's about to pass me a mint julep. 

Some Mitteleuropean classical composer put his tinnitus into a movement of one of his string quartets.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Well I am now down from these 4 beauties (and a couple of fantastic 425s which came and went along the way), following the departure of my lovely NE2 into appreciative new hands today 😢

Yamaha Tribe (19-04).jpg

To this solitary, but very wonderful, beast!

Yamaha BB1025 Mk2.JPG

Which really says something about Yamaha’s manufacturing. 

• Like 2

I played some of the GuitarGuitar blow out BB's a few years back and the bridge pick up was marred by the 60cycle hum. Ed Friedland make similar comments on how the pick up had a noticable hum too in a review video but loved the bass regardless. But hey it's a single coil pick up so totally expected.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

The bridge pup on my 1025 is definitely noisier than the P pup at the neck which is pretty much silent. But it's only ever been really noticeable if I'm standing close up to my rig. 

The flip side is that the bridge pup does have an "edge" from the additional harmonic complexity of the string vibrations closer to the bridge, which allows it to cut through in the mix really well, particularly on the very low notes on the low B strings.

Wouldn't that apply to any bridge single coil pick up by the nature of its position closer to the bridge?

12 minutes ago, krispn said:

Wouldn't that apply to any bridge single coil pick up by the nature of its position closer to the bridge?

Yup, completely agree.

I guess the key point for me is the broader "tool kit" that the Yammy PJ format offers over a pure P bass. I find I'm using the solo bridge J quite a lot these days and really appreciate having that as an additional option. 

Edited by Al Krow

On the 424 I had, I found either pup, selected individually, awful but were fine together. The 424 didn’t last long with me and unfortunately I sold the BB1600 too soon after. The 1600 was a far superior beast with no mud mush when selecting individual pups. But you all know what opinions are like … 

3 minutes ago, andy67 said:

On the 424 I had, I found either pup, selected individually, awful but were fine together. The 424 didn’t last long with me and unfortunately I sold the BB1600 too soon after. The 1600 was a far superior beast with no mud mush when selecting individual pups. But you all know what opinions are like … 

A 1600 is definitely the only bb I’m after now - the 3000/neck through ones I’ve played haven’t knocked me out.

I really like the 424 on both pickups or bridge only. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

A 1600 is definitely the only bb I’m after now - the 3000/neck through ones I’ve played haven’t knocked me out.

I really like the 424 on both pickups or bridge only. 

I sold the 1600 on BC to an Irish fella who was collecting BBs, be interesting to see if the admins could track that sale down to ascertain if the fella is still a member or not. My feedback seems much less now than it used to be so, I can’t locate it there unfortunately. 

56 minutes ago, andy67 said:

Did you ever try a 1024? Key difference for me sound wise between the two is the harmonically richer / less "flat" pups on the 1024 vs the 424 - but they seem to get preferred in equal measure by different Yammy owners so "better" is definitely in the ear of the beholder.

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Did you ever try a 1024? Key difference for me sound wise between the two is the harmonically richer / less "flat" pups on the 1024 vs the 424 - but they seem to get preferred in equal measure by different Yammy owners so "better" is definitely in the ear of the beholder.

I haven't as yet but very interested. I like the look, layout and YouTube vids lol :D