Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

14 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ok, so we now know that the top 4 culprits (amongst many!) who have kept this thread very alive and kicking over the past 4 years have been...😁

TOP POSTERS IN THIS TOPIC

dave_bass5                   259

AndyTravis   942

gobasserk                          351

Al Krow        1330

Ahh Bas! You clearly have too much time on your hands 😂

1 hour ago, lee650 said:

Ahh Bas! You clearly have too much time on your hands 😂

Yes, clearly!! Haha!

I suspect it's why ped reintroduced this feature (which we had an even more detailed version of before the last system upgrade a few years back), as he's worried about the mis-spent middle-age-dom of so many potential Jamersons who have turned down the possibility of fretboard mastery for keyboard mastery. 😁

Although, if we do the math, my total only works out at an average of less than 1 post a day on here since the thread was started. But if you want to see what a truly mis-spent middle age looks like then look no further than:

I guess I've now had my quota on here for the day...🙂

Edited by Al Krow

Unlined adds to the Kudos and mistique... I think it would have to be unlined and start on ear and muscle memory rather than watching all the time?

Thinking about it, have you ever seen a lined violin, with the added faff of draggin that hairlybthing to make a squeak!

3 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Unlined adds to the Kudos and mistique... I think it would have to be unlined and start on ear and muscle memory rather than watching all the time?

Thinking about it, have you ever seen a lined violin, with the added faff of draggin that hairlybthing to make a squeak!

Yeah, but have you ever lived with a teenager who’s learning violin? Nasty stuff.

21 minutes ago, Richard Jinman said:

Yeah, it does look better. But aren’t lines better for a newbie?

I don't think so. You don't actually look at the fretboard much, so the side markers are much more use. And eventually you have to get to the point of putting your fingers in the right places with or without the lines, which aren't always accurate.

Ibanez do a superb compromise with their SR Portamento fretless: lined side markers but unlined on the face of the fretboard. Best of both worlds - playable kudos! 😊

Oh...and the bass is not too shabby either. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

If it’s the same 1100s fretless I saw on Facebook before, I must admit a little trump came out - overexcitable boy that I am.

Then I realised I still haven’t arranged collection of the white Bb350f from Surrey…that I didn’t need to buy at all…which I will be selling the second it arrives…because I’m an idiot.

ahem. As you were.

• Haha 2

I'm always entertained by the idea that an unlined fingerboard is wildly impressive to people - the world is full of twelve year olds who can get around a cello or violin fingerboard equally competently.

I'd rather have a lined fingerboard, so that it at first glance it just looks like a normal bass. But with no side markers, so that I was having to use my ears properly. (But not as much as I'd rather not bother at all: metal strings sound great kept taut by two other bits of metal)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I'm always entertained by the idea that an unlined fingerboard is wildly impressive to people - the world is full of twelve year olds who can get around a cello or violin fingerboard equally competently.

I'd rather have a lined fingerboard, so that it at first glance it just looks like a normal bass. But with no side markers, so that I was having to use my ears properly. (But not as much as I'd rather not bother at all: metal strings sound great kept taut by two other bits of metal)

I’m always reminded that when I get excited by fretless, that in my rack is a fretless that I had made for me…and it comes out of the rack every time I notice a build up of dust…

shame, at one point I became a borderline competent fretless bassist…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gobasserk said:

Did we take a look at Frank on his older BB already? 
Frank Itt / BB

Cool stuff! Great to see someone just laying down a nice groove. All too often these YouTube vids turn into a "look at me" clown fest with double thumbing/tapping and allsorts of mental fills. The young lady drumming is absolutely fantastic😁

Edited by lee650
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TheGreek said:

STOP!!!

I've tried fretless many times and never mastered it...when I read threads like this I'm tempted to try again...I HATE YOU ALL!!!

Mick - seriously check out the Ibby SR Portamento. Just fantastic. And a used one won't break the bank either.