Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

12 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

The 450 looks a smidge smaller than the newer ones 

Think that’s the burst making it look that way but the 350 and 450 have a slightly deeper treble cutaway - maybe 3/4 of an inch.

Edited by AndyTravis

17 minutes ago, Machines said:

It's just the lighting. Definitely orange.

Andy, stop the car, turn around and head back to Manchester... it's not pink and you've already got an orange one. 
Plus I'm not sure how much you would like Coatbridge?!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

450 is livelier, great for cutting through. 424x warmer, fuller.

This has helped me get some vague thoughts in my head into focus: the difference between the general tones of a P and a 424 neck pickup (whether through the pickup itself or its location a little bit to the left) is that quality which allows a P to cut through

There was a really excellent comparison video of a Fender P vs Yammy BB posted on this thread a while back. On solo'd P setting the Fender seem to edge it. It wasn't played in the mix but, lets be honest, we all know just how iconic / great a Fender P can sound in a mix so we don't need any further "proof" of that!

I completely agree with the general sentiment about pups though - for me they are the single most important tone shaping component on a bass. 

Edited by Al Krow

21 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

This has helped me get some vague thoughts in my head into focus: the difference between the general tones of a P and a 424 neck pickup (whether through the pickup itself or its location a little bit to the left) is that quality which allows a P to cut through

I’m on holiday after Tuesday next week, I’ve ordered fresh sets of strings for al my basses and will do a comparison between a few of the Bb’s.

Hoping to have an up and running reverse p/j by then too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

I’m on holiday after Tuesday next week, I’ve ordered fresh sets of strings for al my basses and will do a comparison between a few of the Bb’s.

Hoping to have an up and running reverse p/j by then too.

Same strings on all the basses??

Mrs Travis “I was going to book that cottage For our week off, but when I went to book, our account had been emptied... payment to bass Direct... Andy we spoke about this, you promised no more basses,for a few weeks at least”

Andy “well.... I kept my promise....”

• Haha 3

On 13/07/2021 at 12:14, PatrickJ said:

What strings are you favouring ??

Dunno. Apparently the new sadowsky ones are poop. D’addario never let me down, but never really blow my head off.

Dunno. I used to be indecisive, but now…er. Where am I again?

• Haha 1